Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | >> (show all)
starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: tim53]
      #5987881 - 07/24/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I can't understand where the conception of Go-To setups costing five times the amount of a manual setup costs comes from .

Just referring to SCTs (though it's true of other optical configurations as well), a new SCT with the basic bells and whistles these days costs at least 5 times what I've paid for my used SCTs with AC drives.

If you could buy a modern SCT with a simple synchronous motor drive, it would still be less expensive than the goto version, and the goto plus starlock version, etc. Though I wasn't suggesting that it would be a fifth the cost (though it might be, now that I think of it).

There are still a lot of fully-functional vintage SCTs out there.

-Tim.

I dunno , when I look at this page , http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/catadioptric-telescopes/celestronadvance... , I have to wonder what you're talking about . There are three examples here from $1,600.00 to $1,800.00 brand new 8" SCTs on a GEM including the modern mods . A new one on a GEM fifteen years ago without even a tracking motor went for almost a grand .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: gmartin02]
      #5987887 - 07/24/13 02:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, P.S. - Greg: The number of posts have picked up because it has been CLOUDY EVERY NIGHT IN NEW MEXICO! I have concluded the summer monsoon season is the worst for observing down here. No matter, I am traveling soon - work, speaking tour and mountain climbing. I pray for a clear day in California, Oregon, and Utah. Yeah, clear day in Oregon Hahahahahahaha (I lived there for 6 years).

Andrew,

We had our first clear night here in a week here last night - the monsoon weather has been spilling over into our area, so visual & AP were on hold until the next moon cycle.

Speaking of good Meade products, I have a PST, and I just got a Lodestar mono guiding camera, which I am going to try to use on the PST for solar imaging (assuming the sun stays out of the clouds).

Greg

Let me know how that works with the PST. I have tried some suggestions with no luck on the PST imaging front.

I have heard say the PST is the "crack" of Solar Observing - and gateway drug to bigger units. I wasn't expecting much from this little thing - I am stunned what I can see. I think in many ways, kids and guests are more excited looking through this vs a regular telescope!

I imagine Sunny has interest in this Coronado line (there is a pun or joke here).

Katz

Reged: 04/09/12

Loc: West Carrollton, OH
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5987890 - 07/24/13 02:14 PM

Many of us have ideas regarding Meade - love 'em or hate 'em.

My first real telescope other than my old Edmund scope was a Meade LX200 I bought new in 1995 from a company in High Point, NC. "Camera Corner". The goto system didn't work; dec motor was bad out of the box. The second one didn't work either but in a different way. The third unit had mirror issues.

I returned the third unit and bought a Celestron CG9.25. Wow, what a difference in quality and value.

Recently, got back into the hobby and I bought a used 10" and a used 12" LX200. Sold the 10" because I got the 12". Had to rebuild the 12" completely because all of the electronics failed in it from some VERY shoddy assembly and workmanship (bad main harness design and poor DEC runaway prevention design). I contacted Meade several times to try to find parts, and they were so frickin' rude and lacking of any knowledge whatsoever that I gave up in frustration. I could not buy any parts from Meade.

Through the generosity of another member here who had deforked his 12" and still had the mount, I was able to repair my 12" unit. Sold it as soon as I could after making sure that it worked as it should.

Based on those two experiences, I would NEVER, EVER buy another Meade product. I have a 90mm ETX f./5 as a guidescope, and that's because I was wasting a Stellarvue SV70ED in this role. I don't even use their eyepieces in favor of ES units.

Frankly, I hope they get bought out and someone fires everyone in customer service as well as their leadership. Then maybe they will be a company worth considering.

Or they could just go the way of the dodo. Makes me no difference. Maybe they could find someone like Ron at Moonlite or Vic at Stellarvue to show them what quality and customer service are supposed to be like. Vic's scopes flat leave the Meade refractors in the dust. My opinion, as I've looked through them side by side. Scott Losmandy could show them how to make a decent GEM and deliver it on time. My G11 has been flawless.

Kev

Edited by Katz (07/24/13 02:21 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5987891 - 07/24/13 02:14 PM

Quote:

ETX-125: I agree with others this should be brought back, and should have evolved vs. vanish. Another reason this was a success for Meade is BIRD WATCHERS bought this thing! I know several who purchased an ETX for looking at wildlife (all models of ETX). Nothing to do with Astronomy.

As a birdwatcher, what I know that what people use are small, high quality refractors, these represent the overwhelming choice among birders. Most birding is done at low magnifications, a typical spotting scope has a range of 20x-60x, the optics will support more but it's rarely useful. Handy, water proof, decent field of view, rugged with excellent optics..

The narrow field of view of a Mak combined with the inability to operate at low magnifications makes them generally poor choices as birding spotters. Even the ETX-90 is only capable of a 1.25 degree TFoV and 40x as a minimum with a 32mm Plossl. Unlike celestial objects, you have to be quick, a bird might be on branch for 6 seconds.. Fast focusing and a decent field of view are important.

Celestron has developed a small market for the C-5 as a spotter but Celestron has long supported the birding community with affordable, traditional ED and achro spotters. The Ultima's (both ED and achro) and Regal's are not Swarovski's or Zeiss's where you might pay $4000 for an 85mm but they are good quality and the ED versions are color free.

Birding is another market that Meade tried to exploit by selling very low end spotting scopes without also providing good spotters for those who wanted them. They also have a wide range of lower end binoculars with only a couple of good quality units. Birding is a huge market and people spend incredible amounts of money on optics but it's a market Meade never addressed in a serious way.

Jon

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starhawk]
      #5987903 - 07/24/13 02:24 PM

Quote:

Andrew,

If one is trying to turn people off, I think the above post belongs in a HOW TO manual.

OK, so you've found a way to get the open money spigot to stop at your door. That's great for you. But if you really are in the buying sailboat and airplane class consumer, you're buying the wrong astro gear. Just saying.

And while I'm just saying, video astronomy isn't a stressing case for a telescope mount. A dobsonian with no drive whatsoever is adequate for video astronomy. No one with any knowledge of the technical issues is impressed by saying something works for video astronomy. If it can stand under its own weight, it will work for video astronomy.

And the discussion about glossies is going beyond the pale. Ignorance of what else is in the market is hardly a reason to beam high-handed contempt at everyone else on CN.

Others value their less luxurious quantities of leisure time differently, and with much more ordinary paychecks have figured out how to get the best gear there is.

You have a champaign budget and you drink MGD because of the glossies, and you want to tell everyone else to do the same. Got it.

-Rich

Rich,

The glossy ads bit...

it is a joke...a funny...a "ha ha".

If I was a megamillionaire I would buy Meade and be done with the conversation.

Yes, I do race sailboats and own them. I do go beyond the "glossy ad".

Yes, I am an instrument rated pilot...I will leave it at that.

Yes, video is overkill for the LX850. So what? It serves its purpose for viewing targets easily in one night, education outreach and well teaching. Nothing wrong with that. It is also used on other telescopes. The LX850 is also used for visual, which is NORMAL AND FINE, and the Canon, and who knows, maybe a high CCD. I am checking the glossy ads right now.

Oh, the LX850 is wonderful.

Oh, and I don't drink...at all. But I do like ice tea!

Calm down, calm down, calm down....I was just teasing (well I do like women in bikinis....).

Why so serious?

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5987921 - 07/24/13 02:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

ETX-125: I agree with others this should be brought back, and should have evolved vs. vanish. Another reason this was a success for Meade is BIRD WATCHERS bought this thing! I know several who purchased an ETX for looking at wildlife (all models of ETX). Nothing to do with Astronomy.

As a birdwatcher, what I know that what people use are small, high quality refractors, these represent the overwhelming choice among birders. Most birding is done at low magnifications, a typical spotting scope has a range of 20x-60x, the optics will support more but it's rarely useful. Handy, water proof, decent field of view, rugged with excellent optics..

The narrow field of view of a Mak combined with the inability to operate at low magnifications makes them generally poor choices as birding spotters. Even the ETX-90 is only capable of a 1.25 degree TFoV and 40x as a minimum with a 32mm Plossl. Unlike celestial objects, you have to be quick, a bird might be on branch for 6 seconds.. Fast focusing and a decent field of view are important.

Celestron has developed a small market for the C-5 as a spotter but Celestron has long supported the birding community with affordable, traditional ED and achro spotters. The Ultima's (both ED and achro) and Regal's are not Swarovski's or Zeiss's where you might pay $4000 for an 85mm but they are good quality and the ED versions are color free.

Birding is another market that Meade tried to exploit by selling very low end spotting scopes without also providing good spotters for those who wanted them. They also have a wide range of lower end binoculars with only a couple of good quality units. Birding is a huge market and people spend incredible amounts of money on optics but it's a market Meade never addressed in a serious way.

Jon

Jon,

I have NO clue on bird watching. NO CLUE.

Still I was shocked to meet a few folks doing nature viewing with it twelve or so years ago (more on the smaller aperture vs. larger). Nature meaning more than birds, but other animals and terrain.

But yes...birding is massive. Forget the optics market. People spend some serious travel money for bird watching. Much bigger market than astronomy it seems.

My point is people were buying ETXs for other things, and may be another reason people bought into it early on. People also used ETXs for looking at freighters on Lake Michigan.

I thought I did see Meade dabble in this (and gun sites, right?). It seems they never connected.

My guess is, and I could be wrong, being a public company they were looking for many ways to expand and make their share holders happy. Weather stations?

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

#5987927 - 07/24/13 02:38 PM

Chrikey !

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5987944 - 07/24/13 02:59 PM

Quote:

.....Yes EFT, though I am a mega-millionaire watching the little folks from above, I have lived in isolation with Meade. Alas, I never saw a need to own lot's o' telescopes. Seemed lame to me.

And you also nailed it - I am the King of glossy ads. I love them! When I purchased my sailboat, the winner was the one with the BEST glossy ads. Sails too - best racing ads convinced me to buy from that vendor. We have done well racing, so the ads must have been right, right?

And when I purchased my plane, it was glossy ads all the way baby. Cessna has some slick ads, and a REAL slick web site. Sold me!

When purchasing the family home my wife just had the Real Estate agent send her glossy pictures. The home with the best pitch won!

Research, Smesearch...who needs that! I saw that glossy ad for the LX850, and I said lets do it...on the spot!

I won't buy from you...you don't have the best glossy ads. Now if you had a babe in a bikini holding that new OAG, NOW were talking!

So in other words, you have no response other than to attempt to flaunt your supposed wealth yet again. You don't even understand the disservice that you are doing to the people who come here looking for information. I don't have a lot of scopes just to flaunt them as you flaunt your wealth. I have or have owned different scopes in large part so that I have the appropriate level of knowledge to comment on and recommend to people products and designs that will work well for them and be cost effective. Up until about 6 months ago I would not have had a problem recommending certain Meade products to people (although there are certain products I would strictly warn against, as with other manufacturers) and, yes, I even bought one of those Meade eyepiece diagonal specials that they had recently and my first large scope was an LX200GPS that I loved and had absolutely no problems with. Needed to switch to a good-sized GEM and Meade had completely neglected that market so they lost my business.

I personally prefer that people wind up with equipment they enjoy and use, regardless of who they purchase it from and that includes from me (a business model that you would certainly never understand). However, at this date, my recommending to people that they purchase Meade equipment is nearly criminal in my opinion. Not because of problems with the equipment, but because of the status of the company. Is that leading to the demise of Meade, I doubt it. But even if it is, the problem is only of their doing, no one else's.

I try to view each piece of equipment that I recommend for or against as a piece of equipment that I would actually sell someone. Would I be selling it merely to make the dollar on it or would I sell it because I thought that it was a good piece of equipment for the money. Would I be selling it knowing the likelihood that I would see it come back because it doesn't work right or that the customer would simply give up and move on to something else, or would I be selling a piece of equipment that is likely to work without problems and help to engage the customer in the hobby. This is simply part of where Meade failed because they were publically owned and ruled by the need to make money over all else, even if some of their people really wanted to do things different. When you sell products for the sole purpose of making money without regard to quality and service, eventually you fail.

Why so serious? Because your rudeness and narcissistic comments are beyond belief sometimes. Your willingness to blatantly push equipment for which people should take pause is amazing and again a disservice to those who come here looking for advise. You've pumped this advise here, on the mounts forum and are now going to go over to the refractor forum. That's just great. That's a tough group over there and they will probably eat you alive. Your recommendations are like the big glossy ads, all fluff and no substance. Those ads sell a lot of scopes and get a lot of people into the hobby, at least briefly. But most people who are seriously into the hobby realize pretty quickly that ads bring attention to the brand but say little about the quality of the equipment and support, or in this case, the stability of the company.

If you have "no clue" about something, then don't try to speak authoritatively on it only to admit that you know nothing when someone calls you on it. How have you helped anyone by doing that?

I have no problem with video astronomy at all and have never said that I do. But as pointed out by others, it is not the true test of a scope or a mount, so don't try to pass it as one.

If you were to speak on those things that you do know about and clearly qualify those that don't, you might find that people would enjoy and maybe even appreciate your posts a lot more.

Gil V
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: EFT]
      #5987956 - 07/24/13 03:07 PM

This popcorn is pretty good right about now...

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

#5987964 - 07/24/13 03:10 PM

EFT...

So what is your point?

You have outed me. I don't really own an LX850. All my posts are fictitious on its performance and use. Actually, it has been quite sunny here and I have been using my little ETX and Tasco (still works fyi).

BTW - my eyepieces came from Santa Claus. He could afford it!

In the mean time to get eaten alive in the Refractors forum...

Quote:

So in other words, you have no response other than to attempt to flaunt your supposed wealth yet again. You don't even understand the disservice that you are doing to the people who come here looking for information. I don't have a lot of scopes just to flaunt them as you flaunt your wealth. I have or have owned different scopes in large part so that I have the appropriate level of knowledge to comment on and recommend to people products and designs that will work well for them and be cost effective. Up until about 6 months ago I would not have had a problem recommending certain Meade products to people (although there are certain products I would strictly warn against, as with other manufacturers) and, yes, I even bought one of those Meade eyepiece diagonal specials that they had recently and my first large scope was an LX200GPS that I loved and had absolutely no problems with. Needed to switch to a good-sized GEM and Meade had completely neglected that market so they lost my business.

I personally prefer that people wind up with equipment they enjoy and use, regardless of who they purchase it from and that includes from me (a business model that you would certainly never understand). However, at this date, my recommending to people that they purchase Meade equipment is nearly criminal in my opinion. Not because of problems with the equipment, but because of the status of the company. Is that leading to the demise of Meade, I doubt it. But even if it is, the problem is only of their doing, no one else's.

I try to view each piece of equipment that I recommend for or against as a piece of equipment that I would actually sell someone. Would I be selling it merely to make the dollar on it or would I sell it because I thought that it was a good piece of equipment for the money. Would I be selling it knowing the likelihood that I would see it come back because it doesn't work right or that the customer would simply give up and move on to something else, or would I be selling a piece of equipment that is likely to work without problems and help to engage the customer in the hobby. This is simply part of where Meade failed because they were publically owned and ruled by the need to make money over all else, even if some of their people really wanted to do things different. When you sell products for the sole purpose of making money without regard to quality and service, eventually you fail.

Why so serious? Because your rudeness and narcissistic comments are beyond belief sometimes. Your willingness to blatantly push equipment for which people should take pause is amazing and again a disservice to those who come here looking for advise. You've pumped this advise here, on the mounts forum and are now going to go over to the refractor forum. That's just great. That's a tough group over there and they will probably eat you alive. Your recommendations are like the big glossy ads, all fluff and no substance. Those ads sell a lot of scopes and get a lot of people into the hobby, at least briefly. But most people who are seriously into the hobby realize pretty quickly that ads bring attention to the brand but say little about the quality of the equipment and support, or in this case, the stability of the company.

If you have "no clue" about something, then don't try to speak authoritatively on it only to admit that you know nothing when someone calls you on it. How have you helped anyone by doing that?

I have no problem with video astronomy at all and have never said that I do. But as pointed out by others, it is not the true test of a scope or a mount, so don't try to pass it as one.

If you were to speak on those things that you do know about and clearly qualify those that don't, you might find that people would enjoy and maybe even appreciate your posts a lot more.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: starrancher]
      #5988026 - 07/24/13 03:57 PM

Chrikey !

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5988054 - 07/24/13 04:11 PM

It's "Crikey."

-Rich

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
      #5988057 - 07/24/13 04:14 PM

Quote:

EFT...

So what is your point?

Time for me to jump in here again and try to talk some sense into you.

Ok look, I don't think anyone is going to say that Meade going bye-bye is good for our hobby. When they do things right, they get other companies to try to do things better. Celestron, for one, wouldn't be where it is today if Meade hadn't been in competition with them.

Moving on..

Meade has made some very big mistakes in recent years. Starting with going public. Their business model is horrible and their upper management is even worse. Their top-down approach to product development is causing so many problems and their propensity to market products that are not even finished with development has caused no end of headaches to their engineers.

In order to make money, they flat out lie. Look at what they claimed the LX80 could do!! Look at what they claimed the LX800 could do!!!

The RCX? Need I say more? Well I will anyways.

Meade can not seem to develop a product and get it out the door and have it do what it is supposed to do and do it reliably. No I know you can pick out products like eyepieces and filters and say that those things work, but we both know that isn't what I mean.

When someone is interested in purchasing a product and they go to a forum like this one looking for advice before they buy said product, it is the duty of anyone who answers to provide the best advice possible. If you do not know anything about the product, you shouldn't say anything about it. Now this has been addressed to me more than once. "Pak, you don't own a LX850 so you can't argue about it". While that is true, what gives me the right is that I have access to one and I have access to the owner of a few. I have seen the insides. I have looked through the eyepiece. I have participated in set up, alignment and use of the LX850. I can say that it doesn't do what the marketing says it can do. Specifically it does not allow the end user/owner to quickly set up and start imaging.

After reading Jason Ware's comments I can see that he himself doesn't use any of the features that makes the LX850 different from its competition. He doesn't use the drift alignment routine as he says he uses PEMPRO. He doesn't use the values that the Starlock auto calibration routine gives him and he, up until recently, didn't use their PEC system again using PEMPRO. In fact, I have it on good authority that he spends DAYS tinkering with the mount to get it to a point where he takes those fantastic pictures we see. Not minutes, not hours, DAYS. If you are not going to use the built in features and if it takes you days to get it set up, why have it? I've asked this question several times and nobody has yet answered it.

The only photos I've seen that were not Jason's were done by GlenS and they were fine for a first attempt. I've seen some by a mysterious person who registered just to post the photos and then disappeared, and I have seen John's where it looks like it might be working out ok for him but not any better than his previous mount(my interpretation)

The only hope for Meade was a JOC/ES deal and that looks like a long shot. The Sunny deal seems to be Synta sponsored so that'll be interesting.

In closing I would just like to say that anyone who, at this time, tells a prospective buyer it is ok to buy a Meade product is doing them a disservice. In fact anyone who doesn't actively try to stop someone from buying a Meade product at this time is doing so as well.

I look forward to seeing how this all plays out. There are a few really outstanding people that work for Meade. I would like them to keep their jobs with Meade or if that isn't possible at least get scooped up by someone else who will appreciate them more.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starhawk]
      #5988059 - 07/24/13 04:17 PM

Quote:

It's "Crikey."

-Rich

Nope ! , It's Chrikey !

You wouldn't spell the December Holiday "Cristmas" would you ?

EFT

#5988076 - 07/24/13 04:25 PM

Quote:

EFT...

So what is your point?

You have outed me. I don't really own an LX850. All my posts are fictitious on its performance and use. Actually, it has been quite sunny here and I have been using my little ETX and Tasco (still works fyi).

BTW - my eyepieces came from Santa Claus. He could afford it!

In the mean time to get eaten alive in the Refractors forum...

The point is that this is a discussion about the sale/merger/bankruptcy of Meade and why it got to this point. You seem to think that it is a discussion of why you think everyone should go out a buy Meade products based on your admitted almost complete lack of experience with them or other products topped off with your continued reference to your vast intellect and wealth. You have apparently owned three telescope mounts and three telescopes but have assigned yourself as the expert on all things Meade and their cheerleader for the continued sale of their products in the face of their demise.

My point in regards to your posts is that you know virtually nothing about what you speak and promote a company and products (as if you are employed by them) for which, other than the long past classic LX200 (which by the way many people have given up on due to long dead and unsupported electronics), you appear to know very little about. I never said you don't own an LX850, but the five times or so you have used your LX850 briefly between jet setting and clouds is barely enough to tell people that you know more than where the on switch is so give it a rest. In the mean time, some people read your glowing glossy reports and think "oh what great equipment from a great company" and then contact those of us with some actual experience and knowledge who then have to explain what the problem is. It makes many people feel like you would feel if someone showed up on some satellite forum that you hung out on and started talking as if they knew everything about satellites because they watched one launched once and get a magazine that talks about them.

You have said your peace about the now four Meade products you have owned and we have all heard it a million times now. When you have actually done something with some of that equipment, we might be interested to hear about it (if we had any hope that you could be even remotely unbiased), but until then you add nothing to this conversation and are helping no one but your own ego. If you would like to become a helpful member of this community, do yourself a favor and cool it for a while, otherwise you will leave as more people get tired of hear from you and let you know, or you will become one of the people that others automatically tune out, reject posts from and simply do not listen to anything they have to say. It's up to you which you would like to be, but if you are as smart as you seem to be, I would hope that you would want to help out.

Now that the popcorn in coming out, I feel the end of this thread approaching fast, like the light at the end of Meade's tunnel that is a train.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5988112 - 07/24/13 04:52 PM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Crikey

It's "Crikey." Christmas has nothing to do with it.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

It's "Crikey."

-Rich

Nope ! , It's Chrikey !

You wouldn't spell the December Holiday "Cristmas" would you ?

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

#5988113 - 07/24/13 04:52 PM

Hmmmm...

Well yes I have sinned a great sin. I have not completed all my testing on the LX850. I have not purchased and used all their is. I unfortunately am not a hoarder. A true person in this hobby has used all, purchased all, collected all. I should have kept my RV-6. Sighhhh

Well, we have established in these million posts (give or take):
* Meade is in a heap o' trouble
* LX850....gosh!
* Sunny is Celestron in disguise
* Going public was bad
* Buying Meade is bad
* MITC is out, but a curious side story
* We are curious what will happen next...I am!
* Gotos are GOOD! Gotos are BAD!
* Meade and refractors - forget about it!
* There is a distain for successful people who busted their butts to get there.
* Flying Southwest Airlines is the pinnacle of Jet Setting...Hey, I can take 2 free suitcases! And I love the peanuts!

Note to self...avoid "Deep Space Products".

BTW - I am talking with folks at ES regarding the ES127mm. But that is a different topic and forum.

I am also convinced if I purchased a Planewave (which I would love to in the next 10 years), folks would kiss my toes instead. Heck, I would kiss my toes too!

In the mean time, you have me in a foul mood. I am dealing with mass quantities of requirements in DOORs right now. Those familiar with this know it cannot be good and can make one smarmy...

What next Meade, what next?

Chrikey! I mean...Crikey!

Quote:

The point is that this is a discussion about the sale/merger/bankruptcy of Meade and why it got to this point. You seem to think that it is a discussion of why you think everyone should go out a buy Meade products based on your admitted almost complete lack of experience with them or other products topped off with your continued reference to your vast intellect and wealth. You have apparently owned three telescope mounts and three telescopes but have assigned yourself as the expert on all things Meade and their cheerleader for the continued sale of their products in the face of their demise.

My point in regards to your posts is that you know virtually nothing about what you speak and promote a company and products (as if you are employed by them) for which, other than the long past classic LX200 (which by the way many people have given up on due to long dead and unsupported electronics), you appear to know very little about. I never said you don't own an LX850, but the five times or so you have used your LX850 briefly between jet setting and clouds is barely enough to tell people that you know more than where the on switch is so give it a rest. In the mean time, some people read your glowing glossy reports and think "oh what great equipment from a great company" and then contact those of us with some actual experience and knowledge who then have to explain what the problem is. It makes many people feel like you would feel if someone showed up on some satellite forum that you hung out on and started talking as if they knew everything about satellites because they watched one launched once and get a magazine that talks about them.

You have said your peace about the now four Meade products you have owned and we have all heard it a million times now. When you have actually done something with some of that equipment, we might be interested to hear about it (if we had any hope that you could be even remotely unbiased), but until then you add nothing to this conversation and are helping no one but your own ego. If you would like to become a helpful member of this community, do yourself a favor and cool it for a while, otherwise you will leave as more people get tired of hear from you and let you know, or you will become one of the people that others automatically tune out, reject posts from and simply do not listen to anything they have to say. It's up to you which you would like to be, but if you are as smart as you seem to be, I would hope that you would want to help out.

Now that the popcorn in coming out, I feel the end of this thread approaching fast, like the light at the end of Meade's tunnel that is a train.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5988157 - 07/24/13 05:17 PM

Quote:

and

Wait! I...

Eh.. not worth my time...

EFT

#5988177 - 07/24/13 05:34 PM

Quote:

Hmmmm...

Well yes I have sinned a great sin. I have not completed all my testing on the LX850. I have not purchased and used all their is. I unfortunately am not a hoarder. A true person in this hobby has used all, purchased all, collected all. I should have kept my RV-6. Sighhhh

Well, we have established in these million posts (give or take):
* Meade is in a heap o' trouble
* LX850....gosh!
* Sunny is Celestron in disguise
* Going public was bad
* Buying Meade is bad
* MITC is out, but a curious side story
* We are curious what will happen next...I am!
* Gotos are GOOD! Gotos are BAD!
* Meade and refractors - forget about it!
* Flying Southwest Airlines is the pinnacle of Jet Setting...Hey, I can take 2 free suitcases! And I love the peanuts!

Note to self...avoid "Deep Space Products".

BTW - I am talking with folks at ES regarding the ES127mm. But that is a different topic and forum.

I am also convinced if I purchased a Planewave (which I would love to in the next 10 years), folks would kiss my toes instead. Heck, I would kiss my toes too!

In the mean time, you have me in a foul mood. I am dealing with mass quantities of requirements in DOORs right now. Those familiar with this know it cannot be good and can make one smarmy...

What next Meade, what next?

Chrikey! I mean...Crikey!

Probably time to get this thread shut down since Meade isn't doing anything for a while. You can't even take constructive criticism. There is no distain for those of us who work hard to achieve what we have be it large or small, only for those who wish to constantly rub it in everyone's face. I use to be a consultant and an attorney so I know what making money is all about and don't hold it against anyone who can do it, particularly with their own company. Flaunting wealth is merely a sign of insecurity. You clearly have a distain for those people who have knowledge that you lack and for those people who are here to help without personal gain.

You talk like you are the official tester for the LX850 and that we should all wait with bated breath for you to finish your "testing" and when you are done we will all bow at the base of your mount. Maybe that will be true, but for now you barely know how to use it so stop talking like you are an expert. That doesn't mean that you should say nothing, it just means exactly what it says, stop pretending to be an expert on the LX850 (much less anything else for which you have no experience). I'm sure that you will make some dealer who is unloading his discontinued Meade equipment happy somewhere.

Oh, and thank you. By mentioning Deep Space Products, you have helped to promote Deep Space Products on the internet (but you know this since you expounded on your internet prowess before) so I will do the same favor for you and note to all, avoid QuickSat.com.

EFT

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5988184 - 07/24/13 05:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and

Wait! I...

Eh.. not worth my time...

Even I had to get out some popcorn for this one (no bacon of course since I have lost my appetite for that lately for some reason). It's like some bad novel that you can't put down because you hope it will get better with the next page, but it doesn't.

Pages: << 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63887

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics