Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | >> (show all)
WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starhawk]
      #5988471 - 07/24/13 08:48 PM

Some people just can't see what is right in front of them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Gil V]
      #5988472 - 07/24/13 08:48 PM

Funny!

But actually, that's the thing, isn't it? Will what's available now be any different than after a Meade deal?

Oddly enough, I'm not sure it will make any difference.

As was pointed out for another reason, basically all of the Meade imports are either literally available (e.g. the exact same product because it's from the same assembly line) elsewhere already, or have exact equivalents from one or more other manufacturers. We've got a whole slew of options for everything remaining in the catalog. The only exception is the SCTs, and even though I didn't want to hear it, Rod's right- it's been a while since the Meade offerings were the cat's meow.

On a potentially ironic note, if Meade actually goes all the way to Bankruptcy, if Spacetravelerx has a problem with his LX850, Ed's about the only person he'll be able to call.

-Rich

Quote:

So, what do you guys think is gonna come out of this whole Meade deal? Any of you guys hear about that?

greedyshark
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: 3rd Rock
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Stew57]
      #5988481 - 07/24/13 08:52 PM

This thread is dead!

Crikey has it's place, but I was always partial to "fair dinkum".

Ta,
Charles
X-Aussie (Adelaide & Darwin)

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: starrancher]
      #5988482 - 07/24/13 08:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I can't understand where the conception of Go-To setups costing five times the amount of a manual setup costs comes from .

Just referring to SCTs (though it's true of other optical configurations as well), a new SCT with the basic bells and whistles these days costs at least 5 times what I've paid for my used SCTs with AC drives.

If you could buy a modern SCT with a simple synchronous motor drive, it would still be less expensive than the goto version, and the goto plus starlock version, etc. Though I wasn't suggesting that it would be a fifth the cost (though it might be, now that I think of it).

There are still a lot of fully-functional vintage SCTs out there.

-Tim.

I dunno , when I look at this page , http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/catadioptric-telescopes/celestronadvance... , I have to wonder what you're talking about . There are three examples here from $1,600.00 to $1,800.00 brand new 8" SCTs on a GEM including the modern mods . A new one on a GEM fifteen years ago without even a tracking motor went for almost a grand .

I hadn't even thought about one of the low-budget CG5 GEMs or altaz one-armed fork mounted scopes.

About 2 years ago, I paid $250 for my 1975 C-8, in mint condition with a ton of original accessories, including a drive corrector and off axis guider. Optically, it's the best SCT I've ever owned.

about 9 years ago, I paid $2000 for my slightly used Nexstar 9.25GPS. it's the only goto SCT I own, unless I put one of the other OTAs on a GEM that's goto.

It's a good scope, and it's goto, but it's almost 10 times the cost of the C-8 (bigger, though, too).

Granted, the C-8 was a lot older when I bought it than the 9.25 was.

-Tim.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starhawk]
      #5988516 - 07/24/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

On a potentially ironic note, if Meade actually goes all the way to Bankruptcy, if Spacetravelerx has a problem with his LX850, Ed's about the only person he'll be able to call.

Rich, That irony wasn't lost on everyone. I'm glad you put it in the thread ... I needed a good chuckle.

galaxy_jason
Vendor

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Texas
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Pak]
      #5988517 - 07/24/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

In fact, I have it on good authority that he spends DAYS tinkering with the mount to get it to a point where he takes those fantastic pictures we see. Not minutes, not hours, DAYS.

Well I'm not sure who your "good authority" is but it ain't so good. Not DAYS. MONTHS....that is, during the second round beta testing (yes, they blew it on the first round) I spent many days, not so much tweaking but analyzing, and making recommendations. This resulted in some hardware changes and many software changes. Now, not days but minutes. I fire up the scope goto a target, focus and start imaging. I've been very open about the benefits and limitations of a long focal length Cat with a separate guide scope. Bottom line, I have been producing great images in a shorter time with a lower rejection rate than any Meade mount I have used before.

BTW, can you show some of the images you have done so we can compare?

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: tim53]
      #5988518 - 07/24/13 09:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I can't understand where the conception of Go-To setups costing five times the amount of a manual setup costs comes from .

Just referring to SCTs (though it's true of other optical configurations as well), a new SCT with the basic bells and whistles these days costs at least 5 times what I've paid for my used SCTs with AC drives.

If you could buy a modern SCT with a simple synchronous motor drive, it would still be less expensive than the goto version, and the goto plus starlock version, etc. Though I wasn't suggesting that it would be a fifth the cost (though it might be, now that I think of it).

There are still a lot of fully-functional vintage SCTs out there.

-Tim.

I dunno , when I look at this page , http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/catadioptric-telescopes/celestronadvance... , I have to wonder what you're talking about . There are three examples here from $1,600.00 to $1,800.00 brand new 8" SCTs on a GEM including the modern mods . A new one on a GEM fifteen years ago without even a tracking motor went for almost a grand .

I hadn't even thought about one of the low-budget CG5 GEMs or altaz one-armed fork mounted scopes.

About 2 years ago, I paid $250 for my 1975 C-8, in mint condition with a ton of original accessories, including a drive corrector and off axis guider. Optically, it's the best SCT I've ever owned.

about 9 years ago, I paid $2000 for my slightly used Nexstar 9.25GPS. it's the only goto SCT I own, unless I put one of the other OTAs on a GEM that's goto.

It's a good scope, and it's goto, but it's almost 10 times the cost of the C-8 (bigger, though, too).

-Tim.

Yep , on the same page toward the bottom , a 9.25" on the XV mount can be had for $2,099.00 . It's strange that astronomy equipment sees little inflation or price increases . It seems as time goes on you just keep getting more bang for the same buck .

galaxy_jason
Vendor

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: mclewis1]
      #5988523 - 07/24/13 09:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rich, That irony wasn't lost on everyone. I'm glad you put it in the thread ... I needed a good chuckle.

OK, Even I will chuckle at that one.

Hey, everybody, take a chill pill and go outside and look up. Meade will survive or not (and some of the things I am hearing are very promising) and the passion here will not change that one way or another.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: tim53]
      #5988525 - 07/24/13 09:31 PM

Quote:

-Tim.

Tim:

From one bargain hunter to another:

Those of us who eek out bargains in the same way we hunt down the faintest fuzzy have a tendency to think of the price paid as the cost of the telescope. When one is hunting down old telescopes, the real cost is the time and effort spent in the search, the ones that went bust, the scopes that turned out not to be.

Thinking that the price paid for a bargain is the true cost, it's really only the price paid for the worms that a fisherman uses to catch that elusive fish...

Jon

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5988537 - 07/24/13 09:39 PM

Quote:

Gday Starrancher

Quote:

Nope ! , It's Chrikey !

Sorry, but in the defence of the proper use of good slang,
it really is Crikey

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Hey ! Where you been Mate ? I thought you woulda chimed in earlier !
Crikey !

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: galaxy_jason]
      #5988560 - 07/24/13 09:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey, everybody, take a chill pill and go outside and look up. Meade will survive or not (and some of the things I am hearing are very promising) and the passion here will not change that one way or another.

Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to get great longevity out of my mounts . But if my good ol' LXD75s ever fail me , I certainly hope Ed will give me a good deal cause I be po .

Crikey !

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
      #5988571 - 07/24/13 09:56 PM

Quote:

Well I'm not sure who your "good authority" is but it ain't so good. Not DAYS. MONTHS....that is, during the second round beta testing (yes, they blew it on the first round) I spent many days, not so much tweaking but analyzing, and making recommendations. This resulted in some hardware changes and many software changes. Now, not days but minutes. I fire up the scope goto a target, focus and start imaging.

Obviously if you are firing it up, going to, focusing and imaging then it is already set up, balanced and drift aligned isn't it? How long did it take you to get to that point? It wasn't minutes.
Quote:

I've been very open about the benefits and limitations of a long focal length Cat with a separate guide scope. Bottom line, I have been producing great images in a shorter time with a lower rejection rate than any Meade mount I have used before.

Driving the best mass produced Dodge ever made is still a Dodge. Just because you get them for free doesn't mean I should buy one on your recommendation.

If it costs the same as a Lexus I'd much rather have the Lexus. I know it'll hold its value and not break down on me.
Quote:

BTW, can you show some of the images you have done so we can compare?

Really? Your response is to challenge someone who is not a professional astrophotographer to a shoot out at high noon? Wow.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Alph]
      #5988581 - 07/24/13 10:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gday Starrancher

Quote:

Nope ! , It's Chrikey !

Sorry, but in the defence of the proper use of good slang,
it really is Crikey

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

That's right! http://thefreedictionary.com/Crikey

Thanks Alph , I checked out the link that Starhawk posted earlier . Although in the link you posted it does refer to the slang as being eufemistIc for "Christ" , which is what I had figured and therefor assumed that it would have had the "h" in the spelling until I was set straight on it . So , now I have to question , why does it not have the "h" in the spelling ?

galaxy_jason
Vendor

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Pak]
      #5988608 - 07/24/13 10:18 PM

Quote:

Obviously if you are firing it up, going to, focusing and imaging then it is already set up, balanced and drift aligned isn't it? How long did it take you to get to that point? It wasn't minutes.

No different than any other large mount. It's called physics.

I have been pretty patient with your attacks but I think I'm am done responding to you. You are as we say in Texas, all hat and no cattle.

Edited by galaxy_jason (07/24/13 10:20 PM)

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5988626 - 07/24/13 10:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Took a pill, went outside and looked up. Got a face full of water. Darn monsoons. At least there's some rain to go with that thunder and lightning now.

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
      #5988628 - 07/24/13 10:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No different than any other large mount. It's called physics.

I have been pretty patient with your attacks but I think I'm am done responding to you. You are as we say in Texas, all hat and no cattle.

Just like every other large mount. Exactly my point and thank you for finally admitting to it. Unfortunately Meade tried to sell it as something better than every other large mount. Marketing it to people that didn't want to spend night after night tweaking balance using a portable scale. Spending hours drift aligning using 3rd party software because the built in program isn't up to the challenge. NO reason to buy a Meade product over its competition.

I guess if they just give them to you what else are you going to say right? Can't bite the hand that feeds you so well. What are you going to do when that source ends soon? GASP! Are you going to actually have to spend your own money on gear like the rest of us?

EFT

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: starrancher]
      #5988636 - 07/24/13 10:33 PM

Quote:

Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to get great longevity out of my mounts . But if my good ol' LXD75s ever fail me , I certainly hope Ed will give me a good deal cause I be po .

Crikey !

I had to look up Fort Rock, AZ and Google pointed me to the middle of nowhere up north. Great location for dark skies! I'm looking forward to getting up to Flagstaff next week myself. But I'm sure there won't be much of a chance for clear skies, less I don't bring a scope along.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: EFT]
      #5988647 - 07/24/13 10:40 PM

How old is John Diebel now?
Looking back on Company 7 Meade and Celestron have gone back and forth getting in trouble,
Meade needs to do like Celestron and let others produce the ACF optical system. Celestron is set with Synta. Back both times Celestron got in trouble the gvt got in the way of Meade buying them, or assets. I wonder if Sybta would be under the same rules?
John D if your listening HELP..... I like meade....

bigj

Reged: 05/07/13

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: EFT]
      #5988650 - 07/24/13 10:41 PM

With Meade going privet we will see an increase in price that is for sure. If they are liquidated by Celestron we will see a huge increase in prices.

EFT

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: orion61]
      #5988663 - 07/24/13 10:47 PM

Quote:

How old is John Diebel now?
Looking back on Company 7 Meade and Celestron have gone back and forth getting in trouble,
Meade needs to do like Celestron and let others produce the ACF optical system. Celestron is set with Synta. Back both times Celestron got in trouble the gvt got in the way of Meade buying them, or assets. I wonder if Sybta would be under the same rules?
John D if your listening HELP..... I like meade....

If Meade gets bought by an overseas company and goes private, I can't see how there would be anything stopping a merger between what remains of Meade and Synta.

Pages: << 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | >> (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 64036

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics