Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | >> (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: SteveC]
      #6003059 - 08/02/13 11:36 AM

At one time, a corporation only had a 40-year lifespan, it was the law...to keep them from becoming too big and powerful.....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6003094 - 08/02/13 12:00 PM

"Deserving" or "not deserving" doesn't have anything to do with it. If Meade stays in business and offers products folks want, they will survive. My guess is that if they can be bought by somebody who wants to continue them as a telescope company, they will survive, since even now people want their telescopes.

Edited by rmollise (08/02/13 06:59 PM)

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: csrlice12]
      #6003136 - 08/02/13 12:31 PM

Quote:

At one time, a corporation only had a 40-year lifespan, it was the law...to keep them from becoming too big and powerful.....

Boy do we need those days back!

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: WesC]
      #6003170 - 08/02/13 12:53 PM

Seriously. Now all laws are getting rewritten so everything is tailored to the convenience of immortal business entities.

-Rich

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: rmollise]
      #6003227 - 08/02/13 01:43 PM

Quote:

My guess is that if they can be bought by somebody who wants to continue them as a telescope company, they will survive, since even now people want their telescopes.

I agree. And even now folks are buying their telescopes, though you wouldn't think so if you relied solely on CN for information. I continue to see and hear reports from purchasers (and helped install a new 16" just a couple of weeks ago). The negative atmosphere here has had a chilling effect on such traffic but it exists.

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
      #6003233 - 08/02/13 01:48 PM

Rod,

I'm not sure we are in disagreement, since people wanting Meade scopes falls into the deserving catagory. I guess my point was that I've witnessed so much change, that I can't lament Meade's demise. Something else will fill the void, producing jobs and products.

Quote:

"Deserving" or "not deserving" doesn't have anything to do with it. If Meade stays and business and offers products folks want, they will survive. My guess is that if they can be bought by somebody who wants to continue them as a telescope company, they will survive, since even now people want their telescopes.

Edited by SteveC (08/02/13 01:49 PM)

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: WesC]
      #6003245 - 08/02/13 01:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Boy do we need those days back!

Dunno about that. One of the primary purposes for the creation of corporations was to ensure that a business entity could survive longer than a life in being. There are British corporations in existence today that began in the later middle ages.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6003258 - 08/02/13 02:06 PM

I didn't see this thread suddenly coming to, "What they deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-Rich

Quote:

"Deserving" or "not deserving" doesn't have anything to do with it. If Meade stays and business and offers products folks want, they will survive. My guess is that if they can be bought by somebody who wants to continue them as a telescope company, they will survive, since even now people want their telescopes.

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6003273 - 08/02/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My guess is that if they can be bought by somebody who wants to continue them as a telescope company, they will survive, since even now people want their telescopes.

I agree. And even now folks are buying their telecscopes, though you wouldn't think so if you relied solely on CN for information. I continue to see and hear reports from purchasers (and helped install a new 16" just a couple of weeks ago). The negative atmosphere here has had a chilling effect on such traffic but it exists.

John,

Meade's fate is out of the hands of people who want Meade scopes. My point was to liken this situation to what I've witnessed over many decades along a commercially congested section of the US. I'm sure all those bygone businesses had loyal customers up until the day they disappeared.

Edited by SteveC (08/02/13 02:15 PM)

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6003282 - 08/02/13 02:16 PM

I think that's just it- there is no void.

By metaphor, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Hummer, Mercury, and Saturn all disappeared, and no shortage of any type of car came about as a result.

Likewise, there isn't any sort of astronomy equipment exclusively available from Meade which is a major existing part of the hobby and vanishes without them.

-Rich

Quote:

Rod,

I'm not sure we are in disagreement, since people wanting Meade scopes falls into the deserving catagory. I guess my point was that I've witnessed so much change, that I can't lament Meade's demise. Something else will fill the void, producing jobs and products.

Quote:

Edited by Starhawk (08/02/13 02:26 PM)

ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Glen A W]
      #6003304 - 08/02/13 02:36 PM

Quote:

You guys nearly made me sick with this talk of sliding ETX baffles.

What's the point of that baffle, anyway? Other Maks seem work just fine without such a contrivance.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: ColoHank]
      #6003324 - 08/02/13 02:42 PM

The baffle allows you to have a minimum size central obstruction without having glare around the baffle. But, as you say, others do without, especially at night. The Questars have a little disk you can stick on the outside of the corrector to mask the area this baffle masks, and that seems to be quite successful.

-Rich

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starhawk]
      #6003420 - 08/02/13 03:45 PM

Quote:

I didn't see this thread suddenly coming to, "What they deserve's got nothing to do with it."

It's a freaking business. It is _just_ business. They've made some good telescopes over the years (and some dogs), but I'd have a real hard time becoming as emotionally invested in them as some folks. Well, maybe if I was sitting on a pile of their stock that I'd bought high a long while back, but that is it.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #6003440 - 08/02/13 04:01 PM

Rod, do you feel the same way about Celestron?

I've had some sublime, epiphanal moments while looking through Meade telescopes (and eyepieces). There were times when every link in my optical chain was Meade. I'm one of those who has an attachment to them, and will be very sorry if they disappear.

I suppose there were a lot of heartbroken folks when Unitron, Cave, etc. disappeared, too.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6003473 - 08/02/13 04:19 PM

Quote:

I've had some sublime, epiphanal moments while looking through Meade telescopes (and eyepieces).

Me too .

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: starrancher]
      #6003519 - 08/02/13 04:44 PM

I don't think Rod means to be insensitive or cruel; it's more along the lines of whatever we think of it, it is a business, and business decisions have to get made. They aren't taking all the Meade employees out to be shot. Maybe it will survive in some form. But it isn't like it's the end of astronomy. In that vein, what is this compared to when the field lost Galileo, Newton, Hershel, Fraunhofer, or Alvan Clark?

-Rich

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: Starhawk]
      #6003626 - 08/02/13 05:49 PM

Quote:

-Rich

Who is "they"? I assume it means Meade as a company. If so, the statement is correct; whether we wish it to be so or not.

It's a business, incorporated and still operating under some laws, and having some intrinsic remaining value (either negative or positive, I don't know). What happens next depends on the legal system and how other companies perceive the value of having the Meade name (and other leftovers) continue (or not continue).

I understand the reaction, though. What if Lodge quit making cast iron Dutch ovens and skillets, or if Weber gets put out of business by the cheap knock-off kettle grills? What about if Remington quit making 870 pump shotguns, or New Balance went out of business so my 992s were no longer available? Thorlo socks gone?

Most of us will have a fondness for a number of companies based on their products that we personally appreciate. but saying whether they remain in business or not has nothing to do with what they "deserve" is a plain statement of fact.

And now I understand why people in this thread keep talking about hoping Meade survives, and I better understand the value of a brand name in these circumstances. Meade as the company it was, with the employees it had, is almost certainly about to disappear. That has been stated repeatedly here.

But the cries for "Meade to survive" have continued for weeks anyway. The important thing to the people that continue to say this *has* to be the name "Meade" on a piece of new equipment, since that is basically all that will remain; so the warm feelings can be kept intact, and the sense of loss largely avoided.

The only thing we can do as consumers, and it is a very important thing for small companies in our hobby: if you want a company to be around 10 years from now, then reliably and consistently buy their products, preferring them above others, and encouraging other consumers to do the same.

Think of your equipment purchases as votes for a company's survival, or as a statement that they "deserve" to continue in operation.

What other suppliers to the hobby would you like to see stay around? It's worth thinking about. I think I'm off to start on a personal list. Christmas is coming...

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: derangedhermit]
      #6003642 - 08/02/13 05:59 PM

Meade had a loyal following and many products were purchased from them . With all that , it didn't insure that they would survive .
On the other hand , Celestron was on the brink and came back better than ever .
It's not over until the fat lady sings .

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6003647 - 08/02/13 06:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. And even now folks are buying their telescopes, though you wouldn't think so if you relied solely on CN for information. I continue to see and hear reports from purchasers (and helped install a new 16" just a couple of weeks ago). The negative atmosphere here has had a chilling effect on such traffic but it exists.

I guess the crowd I am familiar with is a bit more cautious when it comes to a possible lack of warranty and lack of service, especially without any big discount. I would a lot of buyers are not really aware of thr dire straits Meade is in.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The plot thickens (Meade takeover) [Re: starrancher]
      #6003662 - 08/02/13 06:12 PM

It's still puzzling to me why they dropped the moderately priced LXD75 line with a choice of seven different OTAs available at a price point that the average joe could afford .
Also puzzling that they dropped their Broadband , Narrowband and OIII filters . These were all top notch .
And what about the more premium Barlows or Tele extenders ? Nothing there anymore either .
An attempt at narrowing the offerings due to money problems ?
It seems that they cut in all the wrong areas .
Just thinkin' out loud er somethin' .

Pages: << 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | >> (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 64126

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics