Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: leviathan]
      #5890286 - 05/29/13 07:31 AM

Andre with your scope Id call six moons very possible in a green zone barring poor seeing. Enceladus truly ought to show though dimly.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Schaden
sage

Reged: 06/30/08

Loc: Sonoran Desert
      #5894321 - 05/31/13 01:38 PM

I live in a white zone too. Despite good seeing last night, I could only see 4 moons in my 8". Other nights I have seen what I thought were Iapetus and Enceladus. I assume they just weren't positioned optimally, maybe lost in the scatter.

But Saturn looked very nice. Cassini's was visible all the way around. 360x was clear and steady and for the first time since opposition, I could notice a feature in the B ring at the ansae. Just a slightly darker contrast along the inside edge next to the C ring.

The planet's shadow on the rings was really distinct, and I could see good detail all the way to the top pole. Normally the top just looks like a darker belt going straight across, but last night it was like a grey circle at the very top, and I could see the curve. That's why I called it a circle. And with a thin whiteish color surrounding the bottom of the grey spot on the pole.

At the time the seeing and transparency were predicted to be 4/5. Based on Antares diffraction rings, I estimate it was 8/10 Pickering. The wind was annoying, periodically bouncing the planet around. Wish I had a CPC 11". Or a heavy duty gem for my nexstar 8. Either way, I've come to find tracking indispensable for planetary work. The zhumell has been collecting cobwebs.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: Schaden]
      #5895725 - 06/01/13 09:57 AM

If you where at 360x, the sky must have been extra good that night. I had a pretty good sky I thought for here, probably 3/5 but was able to have nice views of CD and 4 close by moons at 200x.

This is sure a great time to be observing Saturn, best I can remember and the placement from my backyard is great!

Bob

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: REC]
      #5895876 - 06/01/13 11:39 AM

I agree Bob . The bummer is that its a little low in the ecliptic but some summer nights give you the best seeing regardless. Nothing beats a near zenith ecliptic but I've seen some of the best Saturns in my life at 30-35 degrees elevation.

Pete

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5896069 - 06/01/13 01:38 PM

Pete, yeah as they say on SNL "what's up with that"? Why is it so low on the ecliptic this year? Jupiter was almost straight up earlier this year. I remember Saturn being much higher last year in Virgo, close by the double star Proxima.

Oh well, at least I'm at 35* here in NC and not 42* when I was up in Boston for a long time and have a pretty good view of it now, can't complain.

Oh and on a lighter note, here is one of my favorites catch phrase...."I'm not complaining, just explaining"

Schaden
sage

Reged: 06/30/08

Loc: Sonoran Desert
      #5896190 - 06/01/13 02:53 PM

Quote:

If you where at 360x, the sky must have been extra good that night.

That was a very good night. I got a super clean split on Antares.

Last night they predicted 4/5 seeing from sunset on, I set up at 8pm, took a quick peek at 8:30 and as expected, Saturn looked great at 360x, sharp and detailed, just a little bit of "rolling" from the thermals, (it was still in the low 90s here in Phoenix) like the vsync on a CRT was slightly misadjusted. I left the scope set up, went to dinner, and when I came back an hour later, the view was much worse. 360x was blurry, and even at 180x, the Cassini division was wriggling like a little snake. I packed up.
Conditions seem to support 360x at least a few times I observe each month. But it's starting to get really hot. No fun sweating at the eyepiece.

Yeah, it's not that high in the sky but I've still had some excellent views this year. Of course Saturn is dimmer at 360x, but when it's steady enough, I can see a lot more detail when it's bigger.

leviathan
sage

Reged: 11/29/11

Loc: Azerbaijan
Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: Schaden]
      #5896375 - 06/01/13 04:25 PM

Seeing today wasn't that bad, I was able to split 35 Com double, which is about 1.0". I gave a first light to my new Pentax XO 5mm: Saturn was sharp and nice on 400x that it gave me, though 300x with another EP was better this night. I was able to observe Encke's minimum, several belts on the planet and different structure of the rings.

Clear skies to all.

REC
Post Laureate

#5897484 - 06/02/13 09:42 AM

Another great night! Air was dead and the skeeters where out. Always a good sign for observing planets....lol Got out the Thermisol out for the first time this year.

Had crisp views of Saturn from 150-250x last night. That doesn't happen very often:)

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5897540 - 06/02/13 10:18 AM

Very nice ! I agree about the Mosquitos being indicative of good seeing lol.

Pete

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5930323 - 06/19/13 11:22 PM

A so so 6/10 evening for Saturn tonight with my 70mm. It got jounced around a bit but focus was fair with the EZ showing well if subtle in stiller moments but nothing like upper latitude belts or a polar cap. Cassinis was slurred a but between A and B.

Not bad but not great. Best overall magnification was 115x.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (06/19/13 11:22 PM)

BenRuss

Reged: 05/01/13

Loc: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
      #5930351 - 06/19/13 11:37 PM

I just came in from outside and had a great 45 minutes or so of viewing. Great night all around for Saturn and I. I only have the capability of 142x on a 4.5" f/4 reflector but was able to see two moons very well and a couple more that may have just been what I hoped were moons. It was spectacular either way. Crystal clear other than extra light from the moon.

JasonBurry
sage

Reged: 04/27/12

Loc: Cape Spencer, NB, Canada
Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: BenRuss]
      #5930810 - 06/20/13 08:46 AM

I had a nice Saturn session last night too.

Unusually warm, about 18C at 11pm, with a light intermittant breeze. When the breeze blew for a good few minutes at a stretch, the seeing was spectacularly crisp, with Cassini stretching fully 'round the planet, sharp planet's shadow on the rings and ring shadow providing a contrasting edge to the ring's passage in front of the gas giant. The crepe ring ghosted in and out of site in these moments, and the Encke Minimum could occasionally be glimpsed.

I was observing at 200x in my 8" dob.

But that was probably only 25% of the time. the rest of the time, it was a blurred, dancing mess. Sometimes the rings couldn't be resolved at all, LOL. Must have been eddies of different temp air masses rolling off the land north of me.

I also spent some time hunting moons. Ultimately, I was able to find and then confirm the location of 6 of the moons, with reference to my laptop. Enceladus and Mimas remain ellusive for me. I may have glimpsed Enceladus, but only a fleeting suspicion in averted vision.

I tried to spot the polar "Hexagon". The face of the planet was well lined with its usual subtle banding, with a bright cloud band bordering a relatively darker polar region, again, fleeting, a suspicion.

Was nice to get the scope out under cloudless night skies for a change. It's been fairly dismal the last couple months.

J

sg80

Reged: 07/29/07

Re: Saturn Last Night [Re: JasonBurry]
      #5931042 - 06/20/13 10:43 AM

I had a decent session last night.I went back and forth between my 9mm ortho and 6mm plossl. 101 mag and 144 mag with my 80mm Firstscope 11.4 refractor.I viewed with and without. my lumicon mv filter.I can see Titan all the time.but for the first time with the 6.3 plossl and the filter.I seen two more moons well and maybe a third.I hardly use the 6.3 plossl most of the time it,s to much. but last night with the filter it was almost as sharp as my 9mm ortho my favorite eyepiece.I don,t know if it was the subtle reduction of false color or the slight light loss but.I like the lumicon mv filter.and there,s hardly any tint change

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: sg80]
      #5938164 - 06/24/13 02:42 PM

I was doing public outreach astronomy on Friday and was showing Saturn at 365x on a Webster with a f/4.3 14.5 inch Zambuto mirror. All of the public could see the dark shadow of the ring division and the ring shadow on the planet. The wind was intermittently gusting to 10 mph so we would have to wait for the moments of calm for the image to show the best sharpness and contrast. The ServoCAT was great for keeping the planet in the field of view at this high of power.

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: JMW]
      #5939623 - 06/25/13 12:07 PM

Not last night but the night before, I was able to get to 405x on Saturn using the ES 4.7 or the ES 6.7mm (284x).The 4.7 and the 6.7 are great planetary e.p's.Great FOV, color and clarity. There were windows of clarity in the seeing, although brief, that revealed Enke,Cassini and the appearance of higher level atmospheric haze. Wonderful color and definition in the belts. Hands down the best I have ever seen of Saturn. I noticed the moons, but I was ignoring them while I was watching the disc for those pops in the seeing-definitely worth the wait when it happened.

leviathan
sage

Reged: 11/29/11

Loc: Azerbaijan
Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: aatt]
      #5939774 - 06/25/13 01:15 PM

aatt, which telescope did you used ?

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
      #5940282 - 06/25/13 06:51 PM

A 15" Discovery Split-tube.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Saturn Last Night new [Re: aatt]
      #5940628 - 06/25/13 10:52 PM

Aatt ,

The seeings been pretty good finally. Nothing like summer steadiness. Ill bet Saturn was all that.

Pete

auriga
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/02/06

#5948864 - 06/30/13 11:13 PM

Hi,
Very nice web site, great photos. Does any translation exist into English or French or German or Italian? I would love to read what you have to say but I don't see a translation button on the web site.
It is great that this is an international forum so don't take my question as a complaint,
Clear skies,
Bill Meyers

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
      #5975188 - 07/16/13 10:51 PM

After four weeks and few days, finally the sky cleared. Saturn was plain glorious. That shadow sure is the show stopper.

Still couldn't get past 275 power. That darned 90% humidity is wet at any temperature.

Hurry up and get her Mr. Fall.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3749

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics