Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Sentient, Intelligent, or Human? new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5949290 - 07/01/13 09:09 AM

Quote:

There is no forward or reverse. The only "direction" in evolution is towards adaptation to current conditions. But there's no advance prediction as to what those adaptations will be.

Or whether they will succeed.

Well it seems obvious to me Humans have been evolving in reverse for maybe 100 years now. By this I mean the fact that so many could not survive without machines and medicines created by "modern" culture, yet they continue to add to the gene pool. This weakens us as a species, not being mean here, nature doesn't know what cruel is, we made that up. In reality, the fitest survive and spread genes, but humans have found ways around that...for now.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: Sentient, Intelligent, or Human? new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5949528 - 07/01/13 11:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There is no forward or reverse. The only "direction" in evolution is towards adaptation to current conditions. But there's no advance prediction as to what those adaptations will be.

Or whether they will succeed.

Well it seems obvious to me Humans have been evolving in reverse for maybe 100 years now. By this I mean the fact that so many could not survive without machines and medicines created by "modern" culture, yet they continue to add to the gene pool. This weakens us as a species, not being mean here, nature doesn't know what cruel is, we made that up. In reality, the fitest survive and spread genes, but humans have found ways around that...for now.

I would disagree with this, as it's based on an incorrect view of what "fitness" means. "Fit" only means able to survive and reproduce successfully given an existing environmental context. It does not necessarily mean stronger, faster, smarter, or even more robust immune systems. The fact that "humans have found ways around that", and continue to find ways around all their physical disadvantages, is exactly what makes them "fit".

It may well be that we eventually reproduce ourselves into unfitness when we've depleted all the resources that sustain our society and technology, but that will have little to do with whether we need glasses and iPhones to survive now.

shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5949889 - 07/01/13 03:25 PM

Well that's where we differ, I believe the culture of I-phones and planes and grocery stores is a false construct that has separated this culture from the true path of evolution and made us ill prepared to face the adversity nature will surely throw at us.
I can't help but think our dependence on tech is an evolutionary weakness.

scopethis
Postmaster

Reged: 05/30/08

Loc: Kingman, Ks
Re: Sentient, Intelligent, or Human? new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5949942 - 07/01/13 03:50 PM

I agree..most humans (not all) in modern societies have lost the ability to survive in the wilderness...

ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
Re: Sentient, Intelligent, or Human? new [Re: scopethis]
      #5950112 - 07/01/13 06:11 PM

And sadly, many wilderness areas have lost or are losing their ability to survive the human onslaught.

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: Sentient, Intelligent, or Human? new [Re: ColoHank]
      #5950149 - 07/01/13 06:37 PM

Again, and I can't repeat it often enough, there is no "true path of evolution". The false construct is the idea that there is some manifest destiny, of which "true path of evolution" is one version. All biological entities are ill-prepared for anything nature throws at them that's not part of their adapted landscape. The species that survive adversity the most reliably are the adaptable generalists, and humans are simply among the best at that.

Edited by llanitedave (07/01/13 06:39 PM)

scopethis
Postmaster

Reged: 05/30/08

Loc: Kingman, Ks
      #5951448 - 07/02/13 02:38 PM

Humans don't adapt to the environment, they change it to suit their needs...and then ruin it....

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
      #5951487 - 07/02/13 03:06 PM

Quote:

Again, and I can't repeat it often enough, there is no "true path of evolution".

Indeed. Natural selection is not teleological. Therefore, it is always doing just "good enough". As the joke goes, if you are reading this, your parents were winners.

Interesting thread.
A few comments.

Bonobo and Common Chimpanzees are equal distant from us, genetically.

Instinct in the modern sense of the word, means in the wetware, rather than learned. Instinct is a "built in" inclination, as opposed to a learned one. Further, in complex creatures, it is not beyond control, but rather an inclination.

The world altruism as used a ways back appears to have been used as a moral term. "Altruism" in science, such as ethology, is not doing something for another of no benefit to self. It is more like the concept of cooperation, and is generally classified in three forms: Kinship, Contingent, and Reciprocal.

African elephants passed the mirror test last year.

Natural selection has not slowed at all at the genetic level in humans in recent times. Actually, it appears to have sped up. Thart would make sense, given the rapid change we are making in our biogeophysical and social environments. Check out the pages on this in the newish book: "Pandora's Seed: The Unforeseen Cost of Civilization."
Since we started doing agriculture, there have been over 300 basic changes now shared by nearly everyone.
The fasted changing one is increasing lactose tolerance in adults. Second biggest change area in current "rapid" mode is the genes associated with melanin/melanocytes/melanogenesis.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3864

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics