Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
Brandon

Reged: 02/08/04

Loc: Halfway, Mo
Help with sealing off the side of a roll off
      #5931841 - 06/20/13 06:40 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

Keep in mind this is a run of the mill metal shed you buy and a box store that i'm "trying" to make into a roll off shed.

I was wondering if anyone had a bright idea of how to seal off the bottom of the wood down to the side of the shed?

I'll attach a picture to give you an idea of what i'm working with.

Edited by Brandon (06/21/13 01:54 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
astrodog73

Reged: 02/22/13

Loc: Australia
Re: Help with sealing off the side of a roll off new [Re: Brandon]
      #5931900 - 06/20/13 07:28 PM

I have an flap/panel that butts up under the roofing iron, and overlaps the wall panels by a couple of inches....

Alex McConahay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/11/08

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
Re: Help with sealing off the side of a roll off new [Re: astrodog73]
      #5931926 - 06/20/13 07:42 PM

Add a lightweight piece along that exposed 2x6, and then a simple plank (or sheet of metal) outside of that that hangs lower than the wall. It gives you a skirt all the way along.

Alex

Jeff in Austin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/26/07

Loc: TEXAS
Re: Help with sealing off the side of a roll off new [Re: Alex McConahay]
      #5932098 - 06/20/13 09:32 PM

Have a look at the garage door gasket material that makes contact with the ground. It's very soft and will form to uneven surfaces. Put that on the skirt Alex mentions to get a close seal. Might not be air tight but should close things off well.

stkoepke
sage

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Abilene, Texas
      #5932178 - 06/20/13 10:19 PM

Very interested in this topic myself, I am about to convert an old 10 x 12 metal shed into an obs myself. Need to replace the roof panels and strengthen the walls with interior wood framing first. Considering making the observing floor 10 x 8 and having a 10 x 4 warm room. But may not do the warm room for now...I can easily add the interior wall to do that later if wanted. Have not made up my mind yet about this mod....

I was planning on using another piece of metal to slip up under the edge of the roof panels and over the sides to overlap and cover the wood and a couple of inches of the walls but only because I already have the metal to do so...I thought about adding a rubber skirt between the wood and the overlap metal but don't know if I really need that.

Could you post some more pics of your observatory - inside and out. I would like to see how you put it all together. Hope to start mine very shortly - within the next couple of weeks preferably.

Was going to build a new one in the backyard but will build that one instead at a bortle 2 darksite property we just bought.
(2 observatories for the price of one...SCORE!!!)

Brandon

Re: Help with sealing off the side of a roll off new [Re: stkoepke]
      #5932321 - 06/20/13 11:55 PM

Quote:

Very interested in this topic myself, I am about to convert an old 10 x 12 metal shed into an obs myself. Need to replace the roof panels and strengthen the walls with interior wood framing first. Considering making the observing floor 10 x 8 and having a 10 x 4 warm room. But may not do the warm room for now...I can easily add the interior wall to do that later if wanted. Have not made up my mind yet about this mod....

I was planning on using another piece of metal to slip up under the edge of the roof panels and over the sides to overlap and cover the wood and a couple of inches of the walls but only because I already have the metal to do so...I thought about adding a rubber skirt between the wood and the overlap metal but don't know if I really need that.

Could you post some more pics of your observatory - inside and out. I would like to see how you put it all together. Hope to start mine very shortly - within the next couple of weeks preferably.

Was going to build a new one in the backyard but will build that one instead at a bortle 2 darksite property we just bought.

I will try to snap a couple more pictures of it tomorrow.

Alex McConahay
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Help with sealing off the side of a roll off new [Re: Jeff in Austin]
      #5932405 - 06/21/13 01:05 AM

There is also a version that consists of bristles like a paintbrush, only ten feet long. Keeps most stuff out, but is flexible and can move along existing wall.

Alex

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Help with sealing off the side of a roll off new [Re: Jeff in Austin]
      #5932661 - 06/21/13 08:52 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Quote:

Have a look at the garage door gasket material that makes contact with the ground.

That's what I used on my ROR. However, judging from the photo, if there isn't some overhang on the outside, attaching something like this may allow the rain, etc., to trickle in. You can't tell in this photo, but the black strip actually is under the wood of the roof that moves. It's flexible & allows the roof to glide right along the strip.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Help with sealing off the side of a roll off new [Re: Alex McConahay]
      #5932672 - 06/21/13 09:01 AM

Quote:

There is also a version that consists of bristles like a paintbrush, only ten feet long. Keeps most stuff out, but is flexible and can move along existing wall.

Alex

Here are the brush strips: Link

Don't know how well these would hold out moisture.

Alex McConahay
Carpal Tunnel

#5932879 - 06/21/13 11:57 AM

You know, I cannot tell how far the aluminum roofing hangs over the edge. If it is more than an inch or so, it seems a bit of flashing nailed onto that reddish lumber, just an inch or three longer than the reddish lumber is wide should do the trick. As necessary, space the bottom of the flashing (with a strip of furring or something if necessary) so it rides outside the lower wall. That really should do it.

Alex

Brandon

Re: Help with sealing off the side of a roll off new [Re: stkoepke]
      #5933077 - 06/21/13 02:01 PM

Quote:

Don't mind the mess its a work in progress as you'd say

Brandon

#5933081 - 06/21/13 02:03 PM

The reason the roof looks so rough, we had a random freak storm come out of nowhere which caused it to roll off since i hadn't bothered to hook it down since they was calling for calm weather >.<

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #5933282 - 06/21/13 04:35 PM

We call those tin sheds debris around here... had 70mph winds last night and someone upwind had put up a new one, half was in my yard this morning.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 566

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics