Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Video and Photo - NexStar 6 and 8 se
      #5933753 - 06/21/13 09:45 PM

Ok this is for my nexstar friends out there. I wasn't going to really do much AP with my SE setup was going to wait until I got my dream setup. But I decided to wait until we move next year to get all that.

So I'm going to do some light photo and video with my SE. I have a few attachments but I want to pick up a few things. I have a celestron FR 6.3 and canon T adapter.

I wanted to know what adapters you guys are using for your DSLR with the use of FR. I was thinking of getting a 2x barrlow for video of planets. and another adapter with the DSLR straight in to the FR. If you can link me that would be great

my goal is the do short exposures of DSO and stacking them. also doing videos of planets and stacking them. this is all just going to be for fun and messing around until next year.

Software I'm set on; BYEOS, DSS, Regi, LR and PS. If there is anything else you think I should add let me know. But really just wanted to see what the best attachments are.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by AstroTatDad (06/21/13 09:47 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Video and Photo - NexStar 6 and 8 se new [Re: AstroTatDad]
      #5934104 - 06/22/13 04:34 AM

Hi Jeff,

To connect your Canon DSLR, either directly to the back end of your 6SE, (no visual back necessary), or with your f/6.3 focal reducer in place, all you need is:

Celestron "T-Adapter-SC #93633-A as described here:

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-t-adapter-c5-6-8-9-1-4-11-14.html

This will be suitable for DSO imaging remembering of course, the limitations imposed on this facet of astrophotography by the Alt./Az. mount, (i.e. field rotation).

As to making videos of the Moon and planets with the same camera, I have no experience of this using a DSLR.

Obviously the camera is capable of using the above adapter for the purpose but I'm not sure how one would introduce a Barlow lens, (particularly the usual X2 or X3, 1.25"), into the optical train.

I normally use a webcam for this purpose which is equipped with a 1.25" EP barrel adapter, (nose-piece), so, with me, the question doesn't arise.

However, I do have a modified "KOOD for Canon AP "T" piece" with an insert which in turn carries such a 1.25" barrel.

While I don't use this for planetary images when fitted to my Canon 350D, it does allow me the option to alternatively scale my entire optical train to 1.25" via use of the visual back.

By this means I can use my f/6.3 FR, any 1.25" Barlow I wish, 1.25" filters, 1.25" EP adaptable FRs etc.

I hope this adequately describes how I go about this and what I use, but if not, I'd be pleased to elaborate if necessary.

Best regards,
Tel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 268

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics