Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
crsrs

Reged: 12/12/09

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
SkyShed POD DIY wall supports...
      #5934029 - 06/22/13 01:33 AM

I found an easy way to offer my SkyShed POD walls a little extra support so they don't sag in the middle of the wall panels under the weight of the dome, especially in the heat of the Arizona sun.
I used 1 1/2 PVC pipe and some 90 degree plates bolted together to allow passage of the dome brackets while rotating. I have photos here: http://carolstargazing.shutterfly.com/105

My dome rotates much easier now. I've had my POD for a little more than 2 years now, and love it!!!
Carol

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SkyShed
Vendor (Sky Shed)

Reged: 05/23/05

Loc: Staffa , ON
Re: SkyShed POD DIY wall supports... new [Re: crsrs]
      #5934051 - 06/22/13 02:34 AM

Thanks Carol,

Very glad you're enjoying your POD!

You should always park your dome with the pivot over a wall join. If you park the dome with the pivot over the middle of a wall for a long time it may bow an 1" in the middle, in the AZ sun.

I see in your photo that the pivot is close the center of the wall panel. Park the dome with the pivot over the wall join, or close to it and the panels will stay level.

Once you park the dome in that position the AZ sun will bring the bowing panel back to factory shape.

I'm not sure if there are hundreds of PODs in AZ but there are plenty. Some are 6 years old. Many owners are members in the POD Yahoo group and they'd be talking about if they were experiencing the problem.

Although I must say if this works for you it certainly won't hurt to leave them be. As long as they're not in your way and they work for you. They're nicely built.

Have Fun!
Wayne

crsrs

Re: SkyShed POD DIY wall supports... new [Re: SkyShed]
      #5934065 - 06/22/13 03:07 AM

Thanks Wayne, I try to park the dome as you suggested. I have found that the supports help keep my walls level enough to rotate the dome so easily even from a seated position, pushing with just one hand.

I spend a great deal of time in my beloved SkyShed POD. I'm so glad you made this wonderful option available to the amateur astronomy community.
Clear skies,
Carol

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5934243 - 06/22/13 08:57 AM

Carol; very nice installation of your PVC! You're quite a "can-do" lady!

crsrs

Re: SkyShed POD DIY wall supports... new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5935103 - 06/22/13 06:14 PM

Thanks, Carol. I like to tweak with my astro stuff to optimize the performance of them.

In my photo, the wall panel with two posts showing is the back wall of the POD, and that is the rear seam of the dome, not the pivot joint.

Wayne is correct in saying the dome needs to be parked with the pivots joints over the wall seams, Like this: http://carolstargazing.shutterfly.com/96 , other wise the wall panels will be stressed. I am careful to always follow Wayne's advise on that issue, and I have form the day I got my POD. I love the material this thing is made of. It can take almost anything!
I have the "Visor" too, and I love that feature..it keeps the wind off of me and my neighbors lights out of my eyepiece, and keeps me warm in the winter! It adds a little more weight to the dome and that might be why I had a bit more trouble with smooth rotation.

Edited by crsrs (06/22/13 06:27 PM)

Starman27
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/06

Loc: Illinois, Iowa
      #5935183 - 06/22/13 07:17 PM

Thanks for the useful idea Carol.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: SkyShed POD DIY wall supports... new [Re: Starman27]
      #5935224 - 06/22/13 07:52 PM

Nice Pod, Carol! I'm still waiting for delivery on mine. Being in chilly NY, I doubt I'll have problems with the walls sagging, but it's always good to see these little tips and techniques just in case.

-Dan

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5935358 - 06/22/13 09:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Carol. I like to tweak with my astro stuff to optimize the performance of them.

In my photo, the wall panel with two posts showing is the back wall of the POD, and that is the rear seam of the dome, not the pivot joint.

Wayne is correct in saying the dome needs to be parked with the pivots joints over the wall seams, Like this: http://carolstargazing.shutterfly.com/96 , other wise the wall panels will be stressed. I am careful to always follow Wayne's advise on that issue, and I have form the day I got my POD. I love the material this thing is made of. It can take almost anything!
I have the "Visor" too, and I love that feature..it keeps the wind off of me and my neighbors lights out of my eyepiece, and keeps me warm in the winter! It adds a little more weight to the dome and that might be why I had a bit more trouble with smooth rotation.

Enjoying our observatories to the fullest, is what it's all about; and you certainly are doing just that! It's great to read about others tweaks and additions!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: SkyShed POD DIY wall supports... new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5935360 - 06/22/13 09:09 PM

Dan, it's an exciting time for you; and we expect a full first light report when your POD arrives!

crsrs

Re: SkyShed POD DIY wall supports... new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5935789 - 06/23/13 02:32 AM

Yes, Dan, make sure you give us an update when you receive your pod and a chance to observe in it. I'll never forget how excited I was when that delivery truck arrived with mine.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5935938 - 06/23/13 07:38 AM

Hi Carol,

Good to see someone who is as happy as I am (and just about every other Pod owner) with their Pod.
Many thanks for passing on such a great tip.

Regards. Peter.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 674

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics