Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
ARP ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES, A Chronicle...
      #5934475 - 06/22/13 11:45 AM

ARP ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES, A Chronicle and Observer’s Guide

By Bill Pickard

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gezak22
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/15/04

Loc: On far side of moon. Send help...
Re: ARP ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES, A Chronicle... new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5935137 - 06/22/13 06:40 PM

Thank you for the very well written review.

PhaedrusUpshaw

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: ARP ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES, A Chronicle... new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5936014 - 06/23/13 08:48 AM

Extremely comprehensive and very well composed and formatted article; one I shall be referring back to quite often. Thank you for a superb article.
Bill

MRBILL0
sage

Reged: 01/17/13

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: ARP ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES, A Chronicle... new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5936238 - 06/23/13 11:44 AM Attachment (64 downloads)

Quote:

Geza,

Thank you for your kind comment. By the way, you have a nice website and I bet you are loving your Tak! 90mm for visual observation of the ARPS would be pretty futile, but with a CCD, you are in business. Here is a chart from the article on 19 Big and Bright Arps:

Bill Pickard

"The difference between Stupidity and Genius, Genius has its limits." Albert Einstain

MRBILL0
sage

Re: ARP ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES, A Chronicle... new [Re: MRBILL0]
      #5936255 - 06/23/13 11:56 AM

Quote:

Extremely comprehensive and very well composed and formatted article; one I shall be referring back to quite often. Thank you for a superb article.
Bill

Bill,

Thank you for your most kind comments. By the way, nice post on your observatory. And I will bet you will have fun with the chart above, too.

Bill Pickard

"The difference between Stupidity and Genius, Genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

gezak22
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/15/04

Loc: On far side of moon. Send help...
      #5936450 - 06/23/13 01:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Geza,

Thank you for your kind comment. By the way, you have a nice website and I bet you are loving your Tak! 90mm for visual observation of the ARPS would be pretty futile, but with a CCD, you are in business. Here is a chart from the article on 19 Big and Bright Arps:

Bill Pickard

"The difference between Stupidity and Genius, Genius has its limits." Albert Einstain

Thank you for the compliment Bill. While I only do CCD imaging these days, your attached chart was not necessary ... as I ended up buying the book after reading your article. I think this is the first astronomy book I have ever bought.

MRBILL0
sage

Re: ARP ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES, A Chronicle... new [Re: gezak22]
      #5936468 - 06/23/13 02:02 PM

Quote:

I think this is the first astronomy book I have ever bought.

Geza,

That says a lot for Dr. Arp, Dennis Webb and Jeff Kanipe AND WillmanBell for doing such a superb printing job.

Bill Pickard

"The difference between Stupidity and Genius, Genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Don Taylor
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
      #5936912 - 06/23/13 06:37 PM

I was introduced to Dr. Arp's (original) atlas in 1988 when I had the priviledge of helping Jim Higdon (a lifelong friend) image several of them with the 2.1M telescope at McDonald Observatory.

We were taking narrow band (redshifted) images looking for evidence of shock induced star formation in ring galaxies. Dr. Higdon later was the Jansky Fellow at NRAO and continued to study ring galaxies. He's now an astronomy professor at Georgia State University.

It was nice to discover a later ring galaxy image, taken by Jim Higdon with the Hubble Space Telescope on page 4 of Kanipe and Webb's book.

When Kanipe and Webb's book came out I just had to have a copy. It's a fantastic work and I was especially fascinated with the stories of Dr. Arp's work and the associated controversies, something I was totally unaware of. I also had the pleasure of hearing a short lecture on this book by the authors at RMSS in 2011.

Your review is as outstanding as the book. Thank you for taking the time and effort to make more of the amateur astronomy community aware of this wonderful book and of Dr. Arp's studies.

One last addition: A number of Dr. Arp's papers and data are available on his website: http://www.haltonarp.com/

Edited by Don Taylor (06/23/13 07:35 PM)

MRBILL0
sage

Re: ARP ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES, A Chronicle... new [Re: Don Taylor]
      #5937002 - 06/23/13 07:34 PM

Don,

Thank you for sharing your experience and enthusiasm. The Higdon image you saw on page 4 of the Atlas is AM 0644-741 NASA-ESA which is shown here:

Again, thank you for your wonderful comments,

Bill Pickard

Carl_12

Reged: 12/05/12

#5943288 - 06/27/13 03:14 PM

Could someone please correct the forum link in the article, it returns empty but I believe it should be pointing to this thread.

I would concur with others on the exceedingly helpful and interesting nature of the article. The book has been on my "must buy one day" list for many years, though I must admit that having now read about it in detail the book isn't what I expected. I thought it was a book of glossy pictures from Hubble or some of the largest terrestrial scopes, showing the beauty of the Arp irregulars. The "controversial" nature of Arp's work would only enhance the appreciation of the pictures.

Seeing that the book is more varied than that, I'm not so sure I'll want to buy it. I guess I'm not the target audience as I don't do imaging. That's a pity as I really would love to have an impressive book of Arp's galaxies, unalloyed by amateur concerns. I'm a great fan of the good professor!

MRBILL0
sage

Re: ARP ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES, A Chronicle... new [Re: Carl_12]
      #5943346 - 06/27/13 04:01 PM Attachment (63 downloads)

Carl,

Thank you for your comments. If you are looking for a collection of beautiful Arps, I can direct you to an article on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_of_Peculiar_Galaxies

Also, the link from the article to this thread has been fixed.

Bill Pickard

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1402

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics