Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
JohnnyBDubs

Reged: 06/22/13

Just bought used 6 SE, Need advice please
      #5934911 - 06/22/13 04:19 PM

I found a great deal on a used Nexstar 6 SE and bought it the other day. Took it out last night and everything looks great and is functional. After reading links listed here, I even was able to determine that it is pretty well collimated.

It only has the 25mm Plossi EP. I ordered a x2 Barlow and a moon filter to get me started.

I need advice on what EPs to buy to cover what a beginner would be able to find and see with the 6 SE.

I am not going to be able to get very far away from light pollution and I am not that interested in imaging at the moment. I just want to see as much as this scope will reasonably allow.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Just bought used 6 SE, Need advice please new [Re: JohnnyBDubs]
      #5934928 - 06/22/13 04:27 PM

Johnny,

How much do you want to spend on eyepiece right now and what are you primarily interested in viewing?

Stan

JohnnyBDubs

Re: Just bought used 6 SE, Need advice please new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5934967 - 06/22/13 04:42 PM

I don't know if this is reasonable, around $100.

I am a beginner so for right now the moon and planets are going to be my main targets, but of course I don't want to be limited to those alone.

Is it possible to get some EPs that will allow me to view planets and also get me in range of DSOs? (if I am using that term correctly)

Sorry, I am so new to this that I don't even know what is possible. The options are a bit overwhelming for me at the moment.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #5935005 - 06/22/13 05:04 PM

Hi Johnny & welcome to the forum!

Congratulation on the 6SE. That's a great scope and you should get a lot of enjoyment out of it!

For planets, you'll want to get the highest magnification you can, because they're small! The 6SE has a maximum magnification of about 300x, but most nights the seeing (atmospheric stability) will not let you get that high. Something on the order of a 10mm (150x) should give you decent views to start with. The 2x barlow will let you get to higher mags on nights that allow it.

DSOs can be all kinds of sizes. Some are so large that your scope can't fit them into it's maximum view, and some are smaller than planets. So you need a range of magnifications to view them all. The planetary eyepieces will cover the high mag end, so you may want something with a wider view than your current 25mm.

Since your budget is $100 and it sounds like you want more than one, that puts you at the low end of the spectrum. But, there are still some good EPs to be had in that range. For the high mags, I'd recommend the Agena Astro Enhanced Wide Angle EPs. These give a nice 68 apparent field of view which makes for an enjoyable experience. You might consider the 9mm (166x), or maybe the 15mm (100x) which could be barlowed to 200x.

http://agenaastro.com/agena-9mm-enhanced-wide-angle-ewa-eyepiece.html
http://agenaastro.com/agena-15mm-enhanced-wide-angle-ewa-eyepiece.html

On the low mag end of the scale, it gets a little tough to find something in your price range that has a wide enough view and fits in a 1.25" diagonal. I think the 25mm that came with the scope is a reasonable low mag option, although the apparent field is only about 50. The one I generally recommend as the widest true field in a 1.25" eyepiece is the Baader Hyperion 24mm/68 AFOV. However, it is about $120.

If you're willing to just get one EP for now and blow your budget on a better quality one, I'd suggest the Baader Hyperion 13mm.

-Dan

JohnnyBDubs

Re: Just bought used 6 SE, Need advice please new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5935166 - 06/22/13 07:03 PM

Thanks, that definitely gives me some ideas.

Basically, one good EP or 2-3 decent ones....hmmm

JohnnyBDubs

#5952340 - 07/03/13 12:18 AM

I have been reading the forums.....and now I have found the recommendations on the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom.

I am thinking this might be worth saving up for so I can have just one EP. I like the idea of simplicity on a grab and go scope.

AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
      #5952409 - 07/03/13 01:39 AM

Hi Johnny welcome to CN's and congrats on the 6se.

+1 on Dan's input.

Hyperion EPs are pretty nice, I have a few and use them with my 6se. The Hyperion 8-24 zoom is nice, I use it a lot. On good night's I have no problem going down to 8mm with it. In all the steps it is 68 except 24 it's 50 FOV. I got mine from telescopes.com they seem to be lower on price then other places for some reason. Here is the link: http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-eyepieces/zoom-eyepieces/baaderplanetariu...

again congrats

Edited by AstroTatDad (07/03/13 01:45 AM)

ke4kso

Reged: 07/18/10

Loc: Chiefland Fl.
Re: Just bought used 6 SE, new [Re: AstroTatDad]
      #5952914 - 07/03/13 11:10 AM

My used 8se came with the Celestron eyepiece kit, In my opinion they are well worth the 124.50 that they are selling for now, They work very well with the se scopes, and you will find which ones you use the most and upgrade to better eyepieces if you think you need to.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5952977 - 07/03/13 11:55 AM

I,too.got Celestron's eyepiece/filter/barlow kit with my used Nexstar but seldom use the single digit lenses.

Since you already have a barlow,a 10mm would be a good addition.It will give you 150x alone and 300x with your barlow.

Your 25 gives you 60x and 120x barlowed.

Celestron sells an 8-24 zoom that is not bad in an f10 scope.
And you can also use the zoom with your barlow,making it a 4-12 then.

You are not likely to find anything stronger than 4mm useful often,and 6mm more usually the limit .I do have a 3.2 ultrawide that is VERY close to the useful limit in power when used in a C6 on a GOOD night here.

labmand
sage

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Michigan USA
Re: Just bought used 6 SE, Need advice please new [Re: BigC]
      #5952997 - 07/03/13 12:06 PM

BigC says "Celestron sells an 8-24 zoom that is not bad in an f10 scope" The price is great and I for one think it is
one of the best purchases I have ever made, that and my
Celestron Ultima 2x barlow, you could not pry them away from me, In my 6se and my Meade 312 refractor they perform
well for me.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Just bought used 6 SE, Need advice please new [Re: labmand]
      #5954005 - 07/03/13 11:01 PM

Dan nailed it all quite succintly. It IS a very capable instrument. Good luck in your endeavors.

Pete

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5954542 - 07/04/13 10:03 AM

Quote:

I have been reading the forums.....and now I have found the recommendations on the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom. I am thinking this might be worth saving up for so I can have just one EP. I like the idea of simplicity on a grab and go scope.

The Hyperion zoom is an excellent zoom and, from all the reviews from users, seems to be the best of the available zooms. Many use it as their main eyepiece because it covers a range of magnifications and eliminates the need to carry around a bunch of eyepieces.

Keep in mind though that all these brands of zooms have a narrower field of view at the low mag end than at the high mag end. Because of this, while the magnification zoom is 3x, the true field of view (amount of sky you can see) only changes by 2x from one end of the zoom to the other. At the 24mm end, it has about the same field of view as your current 25mm Celestron EP.

I prefer the fixed focal length eyepieces for this reason. I really like the wide 68 field they provide, and the narrower 50 or so that the 24mm end of the zoom provides seems restrictive to me. I guess I'm spoiled now!

But I do use the Baader zoom as my grab and go EP when I want to keep my load light. However, I also bought the Baader 24mm/68 EP to cover the low mag end. While it may seem like it just duplicates the low end of the zoom, its much wider field shows me a lot more of the sky ... and it is the maximum field you can see in a 1.25" optical path, which is what I tend to use on my grab and go scope. So my grab and go bag has the 24mm Hyperion, the Hyperion zoom, and a 2x barlow.

Bottom line - the zoom is a high quality and versatile eyepiece and a good choice for a first purchase. I just wanted to give you some background to understand the limitations as well.

-Dan

JohnnyBDubs

#5955352 - 07/04/13 10:43 PM

Dan,

I might be over thinking this a bit, but here goes anyway...

The zoom seems like a good compromise for the 6 SE, keeping the load light and costs down. Again, making this my grab and go rig.

I would then save on getting a 10-12" Dob for my heavier duty telescope. It seems to me the EP money is better spent here on 2" rather than getting EPs for my 6 SE.

Sound like resonable logic?

AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
      #5955475 - 07/05/13 01:07 AM

Quote:

Dan,

The zoom seems like a good compromise for the 6 SE, keeping the load light and costs down. Again, making this my grab and go rig.

I would then save on getting a 10-12" Dob for my heavier duty telescope. It seems to me the EP money is better spent here on 2" rather than getting EPs for my 6 SE.

one great thing about the Hyperion EP's is you can use them in 1.25 and 2" since I have a 6se and a 8" Dob the Hyperions is great for me. I use my 8-24mm and 31mm in my Dob the most. If I want a nice wide view I use the 31 and when I'm just crusing around I use my 8-24. Even though the 8-24 is not wide I like using it a lot. it's like a great little tool for me, what I mean is I can look at all my objects and get a real good idea how high I can go on magnification just with a click of the zoom.

I have a log book with all the objects I viewed and noted what mm was best on the object. With that I know what is the sweet spot for each object. It also helped me know what fixed EPs I will buy next.

If your going to get a Dob and keep it at home, for home use. look in to something like a Z10 or Z12 very good scopes for the price. I really like my Z8 a lot.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5955710 - 07/05/13 08:45 AM

Quote:

Dan,

Absolutely! I wasn't trying to dissuade you from buying it. Just wanted to be sure you understood some of the limitations. I think it's a great choice and provides a lot of functionality and quality for the price. That's why I bought one, even though I already had a set of the fixed focal length Hyperions.

-Dan

Tyranthrax
sage

Loc: Tampa, FL
      #5958224 - 07/06/13 10:12 PM

Congratulations on the 6SE, I bought the same thing and felt like a little fish in the big pond of the bigger scopes. I since then made it my determination to champion the 6 and those who step into this hobby by buying it. I have been happy with it and I love the challenge of getting the bigger deeper objects, some of which I was told not to expect to get due to it being a 6" aperture.

Celestron makes a decent set of eye pieces that you can buy in a set, it comes with a X2 barlow. The problem I faced is that the higher the magnification the less detail and the darker I got on the object. (I think I got mine at hayneedle for like $35 bucks or was it closer to 100?)

Make sure you buy the ac adapter if you haven't got one yet. she eats batteries.

This scope works well with my camera and my images rival some of the better bigger scopes. Defiantly need more aperture to get some of the faint fuzzes, I can still see them though. With that it is a very easy scope to take with you and pack up on a trip or just to take to a dark place.

Colmination, I have yet to have it get knocked out, knock on wood, I asked celestron about what the best method for adjusting that would be, but they said I shouldn't have to worry about it.

Aside from the AC cord pulling out if a gnat farts on it and the minor tracking issues, you should be pretty happy with it.

As far as objects to see, planets are prety fun, I hate when teh moon comes out, as I got hooked on the DSO's, planetary nebula, clusters and double stars are rather fun! I nailed Neptune last night, don't expect to see much detail like some of the images show, what they aren't telling you is that they are zoomed in and can use a program to knock the air waives out of the picture

as far as filters. . I honestly have not used them a great addition I have used the most has been my Orion Deep space video imager II, it pics thing sup I can't even see wiht my eye and lets you zoom in on the targets and focus, makes the difference between seeing a pin of light and seeing the detail that there is to offer.

My only word of caution is to never give up, push the limits, and be careful because once you get bit by the AP bug, its hard to stop.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Just bought used 6 SE, Need advice please new [Re: Tyranthrax]
      #5958478 - 07/07/13 04:53 AM

I began my Goto scope experience with a 6se and although I had a chance to up grade to an 8 inch OTA after two week, I was enjoying the 6se so much, I kept it for over a year. Although I did eventually give in to aperture fever, I would never put the 6se down as it is one of the best scopes in its class.

Regards. Peter.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 875

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics