Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: Michael Morris]
      #5402880 - 09/04/12 12:13 PM

I've been running a month long evaluation of APT and BYEOS along with looks at a few other camera control/capture softwares and have pretty much decided at this point that BYEOS is the most user friendly and easiest to use of them all.

Unfortunately where I am located, in a high humidity area known for its poor/inconsistent weather environment. This being Cape Cod, a peninsular jutting out from the coast on the corner of South Eastern New England, has the warm Gulf Stream on the south side and the cold waters of the North Atlantic on the north side with me located about 20 miles out from the coast in the Mid Cape Area, I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 usable nights a month, sometimes less to be able to do any serious imaging. Talk about fog capital of the world!

Point is, when I do get to do any imaging, being able to work efficiently is important and to this point, the two programs that work best for me has turned out to be BYEOS and Nebulosity and at present I have purchased both of these programs.

APT also interest me however the big deciding factor for me was the BYEOS focusing function combined with the ease of use in general. Nebulosity for pretty much the same reason however the big selling point to me was Nebulositys processing capability of the raw images once they are stacked. This is still an area I am investigating and as soon as Pixinsight releases their Version 2 upgrade this month, I intend to start a yrial period evaluation of Pixinsight.

In the meanwhile, BYEOS will be my primary camera control software of choice...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Yoddha
Vendor (APT)

Reged: 09/25/08

Loc: Sofia-Bulgaria
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: fmhill]
      #5404418 - 09/05/12 07:26 AM

DrGui, you can always contact me. I'm truing to support APT as soon as possible and didn't see complains about this. I'm using APT in my imaging and never missed a frame with the official versions, and even the "in development" versions that I test myself under the skies are good enough to keep me running all night long

Mitch, thank you for your honest review!

Looks like APT fans are more shy than BYE fans But I'll not leave my project in the river. There is significant interest to APT. More than 10 downloads of the "demo" version per day, that I observe constantly, are enough to keep me putting all possible efforts in the APT development

fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: Yoddha]
      #5404815 - 09/05/12 12:36 PM

Quote:

Mitch, thank you for your honest review!

Looks like APT fans are more shy than BYE fans But I'll not leave my project in the river. There is significant interest to APT. More than 10 downloads of the "demo" version per day, that I observe constantly, are enough to keep me putting all possible efforts in the APT development

Ivo,

Your help in getting me a fix to the trial version and seeing it in daylight mode is something I will not forget...

At some point I plan to explore APT further under better conditions. Regrettably where I live allows summer weather conditions to play a huge factor when attempting to evaluate camera control/image capture software and with 70 year old eyes in the dark at night, trying to frame and achieve sharp focus with a EOS 60Da DSLR, two software packages quickly showed a distinct advantage, BYEOS and Nebulosity.

I'm not satisfied that APT received a full or fair evaluation under the limited circumstance of only having 2 or 3 clear usable nights during trial period when trying to evaluate half a dozen software packages, and it is my intent to come back to APT for further evaluation as it ran BYEOS a close second in my choice.

Having 30 day trial periods of most software packages, mainly BYEOS and Nebulosity, with only a few clear nights during the trial period forced me to make a quick decision, my point is that a 30 day trial period is hardly adequate under these conditions to be able to make a conclusive choice. I would suggest a 90 day trial period would be more fair under the circumstances...

I would strongly encourage you to keep pursuing your goals with APT, do not let my decision stand in your way as I think, down the road when time and conditions allow, APT deserves a better look when i have time to learn its intricacies and functionality to a more complete extent.

I thank you for your efforts and I intend to follow development of APT for future use, I have not ruled it out...

Yoddha
Vendor (APT)

Reged: 09/25/08

Loc: Sofia-Bulgaria
      #5412779 - 09/10/12 05:03 AM

Mitch,

Thank you for the encouragements!

I have the same problem with the trial periods, so when started APT decided that will not put such kind of limitation. APT has almost a full set of features and no time limits in the "demo" version, which in fact is making it a free alternative...

bardo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: US
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: Yoddha]
      #5459994 - 10/08/12 01:20 AM

I got APT because at the time it was the only one that supported my older camera. Still use and still really like it.

RayM0506
journeyman

Reged: 09/27/12

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5486290 - 10/23/12 11:54 PM

Quote:

I am one of those loud BYE fans. BUT To be fair and honest I did not even try your software. I tend to stick with what I try first and go from there. I will not try to compare BYE to, from what I read here, your fantastic program. Having said this, I am VERY glad to hear you say you will stick with this project. You have your own share of fans here and it would be a shame to stop development.

I, like many others here have mentioned, like the ease and user interface with BYE. I use it for deep sky AND planetary using the live-view mode. I like the frame and focus feature and have found it VERY useful in setting up shots. The only feature I have NOT used yet is the drift alignment screen. I have yet to figure that darned drift alignment out! LOL Thank god for the Nexguide auto guider!

A sample of the Planetary function of BYE can be seen here:
http://www.astrobin.com/20050/ and here: http://www.astrobin.com/20051/ people are always amazed that these are DSLR shots.

The zoom feature in the imaging window is great for making sure the stars are good and round. I shoot at 250% once the image is framed so I can ensure focus and tracking.

Tech support is great and the Yahoo group works great and is constantly monitered by the developer to answer questions.

So all this comes from several months of using BYE. As stated above I have NOT used APT, so can not give an accurate eval of it. I am SURE they are both GREAT programs and it boils down to different strokes for different folks.

I hope this has been helpful. BTW I use it on an old XP version Acer Netbook. Never had an issue.

g__day

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: Sydney
Re: APT or Backyard EOS [Re: RayM0506]
      #5935760 - 06/23/13 02:09 AM

I've been using BYE for quite a while now, and APT for about a month. BYE is weeks away from a major upgrade. This next upgrade should give it better integration with Astro Tortilla freeware plate solving software. BYE already integrates with PHD, ASCOM controlled focusers and TEMPerHum USB devices very well.

It strikes me that BYE has a simpler, more intuitive user interface, and many well thought out features. APT has rather powerful imaging processing capability via plans - once you figure out how to use these. APT's telescope controls via ASCOM are more developed than BYE's at present.

Both versions have integration with ASCOM controllable focusers (but I'm am unsure how well either works with multiple telescopes, cameras and focusers on the same mount. I run a modified Canon 40D through a Meade focuser via a Shoestring astronomy breakout box on one OTA and a modified Canon 400D into a Moonlight controlled focuser on the another scope. Both current versions of BYE and APT (and all mixes of them controlling these cameras and focusers) get rather confused when I run both camera's simultaneously. I am hoping the next release of BYE may solve this.

The best success I have had so far is with BYE controlling the 40D and Meade motor focuser and APT running the 400D and control the motor focuser thru Moonlights own stand alone driver. Some nights is a total P.I.T.A. trying to connect both cameras to their respective controlling software - both APT and BYE want to grab the wrong camera and/or report its already in use. They both seem to want to grab the 400D - even though in BYE I specify do a driver search and tell it to search for Digic III or later models and try and tell APT to go for the Digic II 400D.

Both programs are well supported - BYE has a very active Yahoo community group and both are very good value for money in my opinion.

schecter

Reged: 02/16/12

Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: guyroch]
      #6310564 - 01/13/14 03:58 PM

Do you happen to know whether Backyard EOS will run on Microsoft's new windows 8?

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: schecter]
      #6312203 - 01/14/14 12:20 PM

Quote:

Do you happen to know whether Backyard EOS will run on Microsoft's new windows 8?

Yes it does run on W8, it's fully supported.

Guylain

Derrickh24

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: Plainfield, Illinois
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: guyroch]
      #6315673 - 01/15/14 11:59 PM

I can also verify that it runs flawlessly on Win 8.....

SDTopensied

Reged: 04/25/11

Loc: Atlanta
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: Derrickh24]
      #6317571 - 01/16/14 10:41 PM

I'll give more kudos for Backyard EOS. The user interface is well designed and the support is great. Planetary mode allows me to use the same setup for planetary and deep sky imaging.

Planetary
http://www.astrobin.com/56351/

Deep Sky
http://www.astrobin.com/56352/

-Steve

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16509

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics