Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
jriastro

Reged: 12/03/07

Advice needed - Minimum size needed for scope? new
      #5934991 - 06/22/13 04:57 PM

Hello everyone,

If your observatory is a square or rectangle what is the minimum size needed for the scope, mount, pier, etc? I know there is no exact size but what would be an absolute minimum you could put a deep space imaging setup in that would be elevated out of the slide off roof? 5 X 5? 6 X 6? 7 X 7?

This would be for an APM 152/1200 CNC II with a side mounted SV80S, Paramount mount on a Tri-Pier 2 Portable Pier?

Again, just looking for a rough estimate.

Thanks for the help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Advice needed - Minimum size needed for scope? new [Re: jriastro]
      #5935015 - 06/22/13 05:11 PM

To help you out, we'd need the scope size, etc, if you plan on being in there with it, and the like.....

I've seen photos of slide-away or flip-top mini-observatories that are about 4x4 and 4-5' tall, but there's no people-space in them.....
Russ

jriastro

Re: Advice needed - Minimum size needed for scope? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5935044 - 06/22/13 05:30 PM

Pretty sure the scope is about 42" and 48" when fully extended. Once setup I would rarely be in the room. I would be in the adjoining room controlling the scope. This is for imaging so I would not be in the room with the scope unless it was to move it around, take it down, setup, etc. The ceiling height is about 7' which will be fine. More concerned with length and width minimums.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

#5935134 - 06/22/13 06:39 PM

If it's just for imaging (i.e., you don't want to do visual work), something under 8'x8' could work. That size RoR observatory accommodates up to an Astro-Physics 175 f/8 and an SBIG STL-11000 camera (built-in filter wheel). I can squeeze myself around the setup if need be.

If you want to do visual work eventually (needs change), I'd suggest 10'x10' (internal) at the very least.

Edited by JJK (06/22/13 06:40 PM)

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #5935412 - 06/22/13 09:46 PM

If you have a basement or garage, set up the scope you plan to use in the observatory.

Then, create a rectangle (or square) around the scope using painter's tape in the size you are considering. You'll know immediately if it's too small, too large, or as Goldilocks said, just right!

Don

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Advice needed - Minimum size needed for scope? new [Re: Digital Don]
      #5935971 - 06/23/13 08:25 AM

And don't forget to allow for the wall thickness. For example, an 8 x 8' external dimension shed will have about 7.4 x 7.4' inside dimensions. Or even smaller if you use 2 x 6" lumber.

JimC

Alex McConahay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/11/08

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
Re: Advice needed - Minimum size needed for scope? new [Re: Digital Don]
      #5936082 - 06/23/13 09:48 AM

>>>>>>Then, create a rectangle (or square) around the scope using painter's tape in the size you are considering. You'll know immediately if it's too small, too large, or as Goldilocks said, just right!

Yes, do that, but set the scope into the corner with walls on two sides. The tape will give you some idea, but you could be fooled without real walls rising up. It is a lot easier to pretend with tape that there is room than it is to actually move between the scope and the wall when a physical wall is actually there.

Alex

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #5936244 - 06/23/13 11:51 AM

You are always better going bigger, rather than "just right". Like computer disk space, you will always fill it, no matter how large it is.

jriastro

Re: Advice needed - Minimum size needed for scope? [Re: hottr6]
      #5936657 - 06/23/13 03:59 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have a pretty big project planned. Once it's official I'll post more info and pics. Just going through the concept phase at this point.

Scott Horstman
Vendor - Backyard Observatories

Reged: 03/11/04

Loc: Here, There and Everywhere
      #5937287 - 06/23/13 11:18 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone,

If your observatory is a square or rectangle what is the minimum size needed for the scope, mount, pier, etc? I know there is no exact size but what would be an absolute minimum you could put a deep space imaging setup in that would be elevated out of the slide off roof? 5 X 5? 6 X 6? 7 X 7?

This would be for an APM 152/1200 CNC II with a side mounted SV80S, Paramount mount on a Tri-Pier 2 Portable Pier?

Again, just looking for a rough estimate.

Thanks for the help.

The ME requires an absolute minimum of 42" to the wall. The long counter weight shaft is the focus rather than the OTA unless the OTA is 6 or 7 feet long.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Advice needed - Minimum size needed for scope? new [Re: Scott Horstman]
      #5937948 - 06/24/13 12:37 PM

I suggest going by the sizes indicated by building codes in your area.

For example, in Tucson, I can go up to 120 ft^2 before it goes from shed to something else. So, sizes like 10X10, 10X12, 8X12, etc. are obvious sizes for a building since the math works out easily and they are "Sheds" where I can do whatever I feel like.

Alternatively, if you have an HOA, you'll need to socialize the concept. Someday the HOAs will all need to go.

-Rich

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 635

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics