Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
FlyBD5
sage

Reged: 02/12/13

Loc: Boston MA
Pathetic CG-5 latitude adjustment bolts
      #5937079 - 06/23/13 08:36 PM

I cannot believe that after almost a decade, Celestron's quality control is so pathetic that CG-5 mounts still have the totally useless grade 5 latitude adjustment bolts.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Pathetic CG-5 latitude adjustment bolts new [Re: FlyBD5]
      #5937105 - 06/23/13 08:56 PM Attachment (58 downloads)

I spent $5 and replaced them with something better. Now I don't have to complain about them any more.

Stan

FlyBD5
sage

Re: Pathetic CG-5 latitude adjustment bolts new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5937113 - 06/23/13 09:02 PM

Quote:

I spent $5 and replaced them with something better. Now I don't have to complain about them any more.

Stan

Where'd you get those? I'm definitely heading to Home Depot tomorrow for some grade 8 hardware.

FlyBD5
sage

#5937118 - 06/23/13 09:03 PM

And now I have to figure out how to take apart the knuckle joint to remove the piece of the old bolt that broke off.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5937121 - 06/23/13 09:04 PM

Granger's Hardware...

https://new.grainger.com/product/KIPP-Star-Grip-Knob-3DGA7

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5937195 - 06/23/13 09:54 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Sorry, I read this wrong. I posted longitude replacements. Here are the latitude replacements. I used these with a SS stud and jam nut.

https://new.grainger.com/product/KIPP-M8-Thread-Size-Star-Grip-Knob-WP57603/_...

Stan

FlyBD5
sage

#5937221 - 06/23/13 10:11 PM

None of the links work, it would be better to just post the part numbers.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5937473 - 06/24/13 04:09 AM

They have been upgraded look at the AVX mount.

Chris

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: Pathetic CG-5 latitude adjustment bolts new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5937492 - 06/24/13 05:51 AM

Don't know why that happens. I can see them perfectly.

The Granger's part # for the alt knob is Kipp 3DFT3 and the az knobs is 3DGA7.

Stan

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5937493 - 06/24/13 05:57 AM

FlyDB5,

I have never had any trouble with the bolts breaking. I replaced them for ergonomic reasons. Why do you think you are breaking bolts?

Stan

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5937646 - 06/24/13 09:20 AM

Quote:

I cannot believe that after almost a decade, Celestron's quality control is so pathetic that CG-5 mounts still have the totally useless grade 5 latitude adjustment bolts.

Welll...that would be true if they were useless, but they are not. I haven't had any problems with them over almost 10 years of use. They are small, and it would be nice if the knobs were bigger as on the VX, but they work and work well. Can you describe the problem you are having with them?

spencerj
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: Londonderry, NH
Re: Pathetic CG-5 latitude adjustment bolts new [Re: rmollise]
      #5937701 - 06/24/13 10:05 AM

Yeah the latitude knobs are small and the longitude flippers feel a little flimsy, but I have never had a problem with them in the 6 years I have had my CG-5. They have always functioned fine and I always make polar alignment adjustments with the telescope and weights already mounted.

FlyBD5
sage

#5938355 - 06/24/13 04:48 PM

Quote:

FlyDB5,

I have never had any trouble with the bolts breaking. I replaced them for ergonomic reasons. Why do you think you are breaking bolts?

Stan

It's well known fact that the knobs are substandard, grade 5 bolts that bend inside the mount if the mount is raised to full latitude range. When trying to get one out it split.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Pathetic CG-5 latitude adjustment bolts [Re: FlyBD5]
      #5938497 - 06/24/13 06:22 PM

Quote:

It's well known fact that the knobs are substandard, grade 5 bolts that bend inside the mount if the mount is raised to full latitude range. When trying to get one out it split.

Sorry you had a problem, but it is definitely not "well known." In fact, you are the first person I've head who's had this happen to them. Yes, bent bolts are fairly common on the Atlas...but not on the CG5...

FlyBD5
sage

Re: Pathetic CG-5 latitude adjustment bolts [Re: rmollise]
      #5938594 - 06/24/13 07:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry you had a problem, but it is definitely not "well known." In fact, you are the first person I've head who's had this happen to them. Yes, bent bolts are fairly common on the Atlas...but not on the CG5...

No, Rod, that just means you haven't heard of it. The issue is so well known that you can buy upgrade kits on eBay to specifically deal with this issue of substandard bolts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EQ5-CG5-Mount-Latitude-Azimuth-Bolt-Upgrade-Set-Meade...

FlyBD5
sage

#5938663 - 06/24/13 08:23 PM

...and here's yet another example.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5938849 - 06/24/13 10:42 PM

Quote:

No, Rod, that just means you haven't heard of it. The issue is so well known that you can buy upgrade kits on eBay to specifically deal with this issue of substandard bolts.

If that's your belief, that's fine. My experience is different.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5939463 - 06/25/13 10:33 AM

Flybede,

The scope stuff ad is just for flower handled bolts. Beware, stainless + aluminum = galvanic couple. It doesn't say anything about breaking the bolts. How did you do that, anyway?

For another thing, you might want to look up who Rod Molise is.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EQ5-CG5-Mount-Latitude-Azimuth-Bolt-Upgrade-Set-Meade...

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Pathetic CG-5 latitude adjustment bolts [Re: rmollise]
      #5939467 - 06/25/13 10:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If that's your belief, that's fine. My experience is different.

My experience is the same as Rod's. I have seen plenty of CG-5 mounts and have very rarely seen one with even a bent adjustment bolt. They are cheap bolts, but the reason most people replace them is because the little handle things are a pain to use. They change them to get a handle that is easier to grip and make fine adjustments with. Just because someone is selling replacements of a completely different design, doesn't mean that people are purchasing the replacements because their originals bent or broke. The EQ-6 is the mount that had bent and broken bolt problems. I fixed plenty of them.

FlyBD5
sage

Re: Pathetic CG-5 latitude adjustment bolts [Re: Starhawk]
      #5939699 - 06/25/13 12:40 PM

Quote:

Flybede,

The scope stuff ad is just for flower handled bolts. Beware, stainless + aluminum = galvanic couple. It doesn't say anything about breaking the bolts. How did you do that, anyway?

For another thing, you might want to look up who Rod Molise is.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you look at the eBay it specifically mentions the substandard bolts that what they sell are meant to replace. A simple Google search uncovers discussion threads going back to 2005 that talk about the bolts bending inside the mount, as well as breaking when an attempt is made to remove them because they are soft grade 5 bolts. Given that I've been working with aviation-grade hardware for more than 35 years, I think I can tell the difference between good quality bolts that fit the purpose for which they are being used, and the soft, poorly plated ones that Celestron is using in the mount. The evidence is there for everyone to see -- the fact that someone hasn't seen the evidence has no relevance to the validity of the evidence, unless you are prepared to seriously suggest that there are people in this hobby who believe that if he/she hasn't seen it happen, it has never happened. I do believe not even Mr. Mollise believes that, as he has already stated in his reply.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2317

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics