Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tedbnh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/14/07

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Inreach new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5912761 - 06/10/13 10:38 AM

Our club has been a member of the Astronomical League for years but we never "signed up" the members themselves, or put much emphasis on it. This year we began to offer free AL membership to any member who wanted to work on any of the AL observing club award pins. Out of about 140 paid members we got roughly 15 who asked us to do this for them. I am sure it will pay off for everyone, and we avoided the cost of signing up all 140 members for little benefit. This is part of our new club "inreach" focus, which is going over well with members.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: Inreach new [Re: tedbnh]
      #5918079 - 06/13/13 12:54 AM

It's a paltry $5/yr to sign up members... which includes the quarterly Reflector newsletter. We include it as part of our annual membership (which is itself, only $25/yr, whether you're an individual or a family).

FarrOut
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Tampa
Re: Inreach new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5920128 - 06/14/13 08:11 AM

This has been a great discussion on astronomy clubs.
Our club is currently going through a period of evaluation.

The club is sponsored by our local science museum. They provide a great venue for meetings. There is a very high quality planetarium at the museum.

There are typically two or three first time attendees at each monthly meeting, but most do not return. Not sure why, perhaps astronomy isn't what they thought it was.

About half of the regular attendees never go out to observe. That has to be factored into the equation when developing a model for moving forward.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Inreach new [Re: FarrOut]
      #5920162 - 06/14/13 08:45 AM

Here the Astronomy Magazine comes with your membership. While I have not been an active member (outside of using the dark site and keeping our local scope shop's doors open), I'm going to start going to some of the society's public nights/open houses. It'll be nice to have something to do on these summer nights when I can't get out of the city....

Gardner
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/19/04

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Inreach [Re: csrlice12]
      #5937081 - 06/23/13 08:41 PM

Our club NHAS had an inreach skywatch last night. The weather wasn't the best, but we had a few bright stars and the rising moon, and of course Saturn. I think we had about 8-10 members, a couple of them new members, I helped one gent collimate his CPC 800 which was way off. He was pleased with finally getting clean sharp images! A successful event!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2368

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics