Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Mount goes into the Obsevatory - Tripod goes ?
      #5937772 - 06/24/13 10:51 AM

I have mounted my CGE in my observatory, and now considering selling the tripod. Will this hurt me when later upgrading and selling the CGE mount, or would it be easier to sell without the tripod

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Mount goes into the Obsevatory - Tripod goes ? new [Re: Wmacky]
      #5937796 - 06/24/13 11:04 AM

I've bought many smaller GEMs and alt-az's and sold the tripod, and then subsequently sold the head. I did not notice any difficulties in selling stuff this way, and may even have made a few pennies viz selling head and tripod together. Some people want wooden rather than the metal tripods and so are happy receiving a head-only and not paying shipping on the tripod. Other folk need a tripod for other projects, and so are happy to pick up a "spare".

I cannot comment on how my experience translates with a bigger GEM like the CGE.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Mount goes into the Obsevatory - Tripod goes ? new [Re: hottr6]
      #5937819 - 06/24/13 11:21 AM

The tripod can be useful if you ever want to take your rig to a destination star party. I only move my AP900GTO for trips like GSSP or OSP.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Mount goes into the Obsevatory - Tripod goes ? new [Re: JMW]
      #5937874 - 06/24/13 11:50 AM

The CGE has been out of production for years. There won't be any replacement tripods available from stock. The CGE has a unique mounting arrangement and there has never been an alternative tripod available that would accept a CGE. A CGE with no tripod would be a hard sell.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: Mount goes into the Obsevatory - Tripod goes ? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5938035 - 06/24/13 01:25 PM

Is the tripod taking up that much space, or are funds really that tight? Keep it, someday you'll be glad for having done so.

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mount goes into the Obsevatory - Tripod goes ? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5938365 - 06/24/13 04:54 PM

I guess I'll keep it. I've just been on selling binge lately to clear some stuff out. I think I'm a hobby hoarder! My hobby room is started to have the "stack and aisle" look! But, where as those hoaders have stacks of junk. My stacks constist of 1/4 scale RC helis, High end tube audio gear, Fender guitars, and apo refractors! You get the idea.

Edited by Wmacky (06/24/13 05:00 PM)

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5939445 - 06/25/13 10:20 AM

I just recently sold one of my CGE mounts without a tripod. I did have a pier adapter for it, and that helped. A fair number of people pier-mount the CGE since it is on the heavy side for mobile use, so it is not impossible to sell one without a tripod, especially if you have a pier adapter that you can sell with it.

David81
sage

Reged: 05/17/10

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Mount goes into the Obsevatory - Tripod goes ? new [Re: EFT]
      #5939785 - 06/25/13 01:21 PM

Quote:

I just recently sold one of my CGE mounts without a tripod. I did have a pier adapter for it, and that helped. A fair number of people pier-mount the CGE since it is on the heavy side for mobile use, so it is not impossible to sell one without a tripod, especially if you have a pier adapter that you can sell with it.

I'll second that...as I was the one that bought it

I was quite happy to purchase without the tripod as it was going to go straight to a pier in the observatory. Others may feel the opposite, but there are definitely those that have no need for a tripod on the larger mounts.

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mount goes into the Obsevatory - Tripod goes ? new [Re: David81]
      #5939857 - 06/25/13 02:09 PM

My thinking was that the mount itself will be very expensive to ship. That big heavy tripod doesn't help the shpping issue. I'd like to sell it locally.

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

#5940287 - 06/25/13 06:56 PM

Some day you'll get a better mount. But you'll keep what you have for portable purposes; and eventually you'll pick up another scope, and realize that is the one you want to use on the CGE.

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 492

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics