Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
polar orfice 90* to scope? new
      #5937764 - 06/24/13 10:45 AM

I have a CG-5 ASGT and was just checking the polar align on it. The question I have is that when polar scope tube is aligned for scope the mount for OTA is sitting 90* off from being in same alignment as polar scope would be? Is this normal? will try to attatch a picture, thank you
Kasey

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: polar orfice 90* to scope? new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5937851 - 06/24/13 11:42 AM

Quote:

I have a CG-5 ASGT and was just checking the polar align on it. The question I have is that when polar scope tube is aligned for scope the mount for OTA is sitting 90* off from being in same alignment as polar scope would be? Is this normal? will try to attatch a picture, thank you

Yup. Perfectly normal. All German equatorial mounts seem to be this way - at least the ones with polar finder capability. My old LXD650 and Losmandy G-11, my current CGE and CGEM DX are that way, too. Why? No idea!

Edit: Oops! My bad. The CGE is NOT polar finder capable and, hence, does NOT have the bore-hole.

Edited by DaveJ (06/24/13 11:44 AM)

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: polar orfice 90* to scope? new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5937883 - 06/24/13 11:55 AM

Quote:

Why? No idea!

That arrangement was adopted in pre-SCT days so everyone had long optical tubes. Picture trying to get to the polar scope with a long refractor in the way...

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: polar orfice 90* to scope? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5937912 - 06/24/13 12:09 PM

I see, just wondered if my mount was assembled wrong ,, The long scope is a good explination thank you, Kasey

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5938088 - 06/24/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

Oops! My bad. The CGE is NOT polar finder capable and, hence, does NOT have the bore-hole.

Dave, Actually there is/was a polar scope for the CGE. You're right there's no bore-hole but this polar scope fits on the outside. It was never a very popular option and is now completely unnecessary with the All Star polar alignment routine in the hand controller.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5939440 - 06/25/13 10:17 AM

Quote:

Yup. Perfectly normal. All German equatorial mounts seem to be this way - at least the ones with polar finder capability. My old LXD650 and Losmandy G-11, my current CGE and CGEM DX are that way, too. Why? No idea!

The reason for this is actually so that you can rotate the RA axis to get the polar scope in the correct position without the OTA hitting the tripod. If the OTA is located parallel to the RA housing, then you can only rotate the RA to about 30 degrees below the horizontal position without contacting the tripod (further if you have a pier). If you have a rotating polar scope this is not an issue, but most polar scopes do not rotate without loosening them and then loosing their alignment. Thus, you turn the OTA 90 degrees so that in most cases you can rotate the RA and polar scope 360 degrees.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: polar orfice 90* to scope? [Re: EFT]
      #5939587 - 06/25/13 11:46 AM

Yep got it now , am using a C9.25 on mine so length of scope never entered my mind,,, It just looked wierd, seemd to be at odds with one would think it should look like So much for thinking, LOL
Kasey

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 244

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics