Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
Matt Wallin

Reged: 01/29/12

Loc: Portland, OR
figureing fast mirror for a 1.0x coma corrector
      #5940106 - 06/25/13 04:35 PM

I doing some basic computations and thinking about the ins and outs of a very fast (f/3.5 or so) mirror. Of course, with such a mirror, use of a coma corrector is a given. Coma correctors such as the TV ParaCorr act to increase the effective focal lenth of the scope they are used on by 1.15x I have read that the GSO CC is ~1.10x. The added focal lenth is not neccessarily welcome in a richest field scope. It is my understanding that this extender effect is necessary to correct for some spherical abberation that is introduced in the coma correction. My question to all is first: does a 1.0x coma corrector add under or overcorrection to the SA? and second: has anyone made mirrors corrected to work as a package with a 1.0x coma corrector and is there a reason this would not be desirable?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: figureing fast mirror for a 1.0x coma corrector new [Re: Matt Wallin]
      #5940285 - 06/25/13 06:55 PM

For an RFT, which by definition is used at larger exit pupils, the SA will not likely be resolved.

Have you considered an even faster primary to be used with the TV Parracor II?

What aperture are you considering? Up to moderate apertures it shouldn't be necessary to go as fast as f/3.5.

EyeSage

Reged: 06/08/12

Loc: Canukistan
Re: figureing fast mirror for a 1.0x coma corrector new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5942262 - 06/26/13 10:45 PM

The Baader MPCC does not change f.l. but I understand it introduces a small amount of undercorrection. If you wanted to make this a permanent part of the optics I imagine you could just overcorrect the primary to compensate.

mark cowan
Vendor (Veritas Optics)

Reged: 06/03/05

Loc: salem, OR
Re: figureing fast mirror for a 1.0x coma corrector new [Re: Matt Wallin]
      #5942294 - 06/26/13 11:03 PM

Quote:

It is my understanding that this extender effect is necessary to correct for some spherical abberation that is introduced in the coma correction.

Can't say for sure, but it's more likely it's to allow (Paracorr) to fit in a standard focusing scope and still provide for EPs to reach focus downstream. It also makes it slightly easier on those EPs.

Best,
Mark

cjc
sage

Reged: 10/15/10

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Re: figureing fast mirror for a 1.0x coma corrector new [Re: EyeSage]
      #5942497 - 06/27/13 03:40 AM

Quote:

The Baader MPCC does not change f.l. but I understand it introduces a small amount of undercorrection...

The latest Mark III model should be free of SA, here.

Matt Wallin

Reged: 01/29/12

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: figureing fast mirror for a 1.0x coma corrector new [Re: cjc]
      #5943211 - 06/27/13 02:28 PM

Thanks for the link Chris, I wasn't aware of a new model being out, it seems they changed the focal ratio it is optimized for. I would be curious to know if there are any reports of SA being introduced. It was my investigation of the MPCC with its lack of effect on focal length that turned up the reports of SA being noted, but some users didn't see that issue, perhaps they had some overcorrection that was actually being improved by the MPCC? Maybe it would be enough to *slightly* bias a mirror towards overcorrection if one is planning to use an MPCC such that any introduced undercorrection would be beneficial, but that the mirror was not appricably misfigured without it.

MitchAlsup
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/31/09

Re: figureing fast mirror for a 1.0x coma corrector new [Re: cjc]
      #5943415 - 06/27/13 04:51 PM

Quote:

The latest Mark III model should be free of SA, here.

Does anyone know if the Paracorr tunable top is threaded with M48 threads?

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 326

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics