Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Escher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Fenton, MI
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: tezster]
      #5941123 - 06/26/13 09:47 AM

Quote:

There is simply no way for me to observe DSOs anywhere around my home (I would need to wear a blindfold to block out all the stray light), so I have resigned myself to lunar/planetary observing from my patio.

I have observed from my front yard - directly under a sodium street light... By using a towel as a hood.

Sure - you look nutz, but who cares - it works!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CharlesW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: galexand]
      #5941129 - 06/26/13 09:51 AM

I had a similar problem at my Chula Vista house; extremely bright floodlight behind me. When new renters moved in, two nice navy guys, all it took was a 24 pack of Heinekin to solve the problem.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: celtictexan]
      #5941145 - 06/26/13 10:04 AM

Quote:

I bought a place in the country, someone else moved in 5 acres down from me. First he puts this giant 5 globe front light in then puts a big mercury vapor light on his shop. Looks like the sun stayed up around him. I use to could set up anywhere now I have to hide behind my shop or be blinded from the side. People that are scared of the dark should stay in the city.

+1

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: The battle with HOA has began. *DELETED* new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5941147 - 06/26/13 10:08 AM

Post deleted by droid

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: mich_al]
      #5941148 - 06/26/13 10:08 AM

not to mention he feels he's doing YOU a favor lighting up your property...on his dime, no less.....

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: The battle with HOA has began. *DELETED* new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5941157 - 06/26/13 10:13 AM

Post deleted by tecmage

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5941192 - 06/26/13 10:34 AM

Threats, empty or otherwise, are not the method by which civilized people conduct relations with their neighbors. The very first step should be in the manner of a friendly request; if the situation remains intractable, there is always recourse to the courts... and ultimately, a moving company.

Life is too short to engage in hostilities unless there is absolutely no other option; ask any (real) combat veteran.

Fred

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: celtictexan]
      #5941196 - 06/26/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

HOAs are pathetic.

That is all

+1

+2:p

Edited by tecmage (06/27/13 07:18 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5941203 - 06/26/13 10:43 AM

"Life is too short to engage in hostilities unless there is absolutely no other option"

Not according to the history books I've seen.......sorry, that's just the way of the world. There's always someone out there who just enjoys making others miserable.....and setting back and doing nothing in effect condones their actions.....it also all depends on how you define "options".

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5941205 - 06/26/13 10:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So mad I threatened the hoa president, in a real pulp fiction kinda way, like with plastic and bleach.

You are very fortunate that charges were not brought against you. Threatening a person is something no one should do.

One should never threaten anyone, but setting around having a few beers you might mention your stint in Whereverstan where your job was, well, meeting new and interesting people, and killing them......

I know I know, and I am not that kind of person. Things had reached a boiling point and I lost it. I won't go into the details, but it was probably the most angry I have ever been, we didn't even do anything, just victims of an insane hoa president 2 doors down with no life except to make other people miserable. No civilized discourse was possible.
That's when we decided we would never be subjected to that again.
- Now we have redneck neighbors with guns!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5941214 - 06/26/13 10:50 AM

Then do a neighborly thing like feed the birds. Just sprinkle bird seed all over HIS balcony frequently. The birds will love it, and he gets to hose down his balcony frequently, keeping it clean according to HOA policies....Never take actions that would harm anyone, but sometimes the old phrase "Don't get mad, get even" has its place.....Unless the HOA has rules against feeding birds....

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: Escher]
      #5941237 - 06/26/13 11:01 AM

Quote:

...you know, sit down and have a chat like friends. Depends on how much time and patience you have.

Also depends on the mindset of the neighbor who has registered the complaints. From what i've seen, much of this comes about fueled by the joy of control; give some people control over things beyond their "normal" range of influence, and it's like a drug addiction! I've seen this influence in sooo many design-review board sessions that i could scream.

It afflicts "design professionals" as well; i watched with great sadness as a design review board, comprised of local Architects, with one acting as a pack-leader, descended upon the design documents at a public hearing for a retired couple's dream home. It was a feeding frenzy, resulting in the couple walking out, the man's arm around his wife's shoulders, her sobbing in tears.

Your typical HOA is comprised of random people who live there, and know little-to-nothing of land use & property rights issues... they just know what they can control, and do so with great zeal. Your typical design review board might be comprised of "design professionals" who know quite a bit about land use issues, environmental issues, and aesthetics... and they also know what they can control, and do so with education & experience... and frequently with great zeal, as well.

Personally, i don't have much use for either. And i'm a "design professional" myself.

Quote:

Sure - you look nutz, but who cares...

A few control-nazi's on na HOA, that's who.

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5941251 - 06/26/13 11:06 AM

Quote:

Threats, empty or otherwise, are not the method by which civilized people conduct relations with their neighbors.

Yes, i think we'd all (mostly) agree on that. However, when failure to comply with their nazi-control impulses leads to threats of fines and other nasties, where did civilized conduct go?

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: Mike B]
      #5941273 - 06/26/13 11:17 AM

"Threats, empty or otherwise, are not the method by which civilized people conduct relations with their neighbors."

Thus the fall of numerous civilizations throughout our history.........

Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: Mike B]
      #5941292 - 06/26/13 11:30 AM

My neighbor likes to leave their megawatt driveway light on all night, which is about 30 feet from my primary observing spot. We are on good terms, so I would just call them on a clear dusk and tell them I was planning to use my scope tonight and could they please turn off the light. If they didn't answer their phone, I knocked on the door. After 5 or 6 times, they realized it must really be bothering me because the light hasn't been left on at night since.

My stance is that asking for a simple little favor like this from your neighbor every week or so is preferable to building a light block and potentially giving *them* something to complain about. If they are stubborn, then sure it's the only option. But you might be surprised to find that your neighbors are cooperative and ultimately have no desire to hinder your freedom to use your property as you desire, once they realize precisely what you are up to over there at 3am.

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
      #5941295 - 06/26/13 11:32 AM

It sort of sounds like the neighbor complained about an "observatory" and the HOA folks didn't even come to take a look. So, the fact that it's temporary isn't a factor - they haven't seen your property. Perhaps I misinterpret. But if you aren't sure if they've been out for a look, invite them. Tell them you want to clear any trouble up so could them come tell you where the violation is. Be sure that when they come, the "observatory" is not up. If they say it all looks fine, just say something about your neighbor not liking you and harassing you - that may get them to ignore future complaints from him.

In other words, come off as the good guy to his bad guy.

If that doesn't work, (I've told this story before), I had a friend who responded to a neighbor's floods that shown in his bedroom by installing his own, to shine in their bedroom. It worked, the neighbors took theirs down. I'm completely on board that one shouldn't threaten others. But one shouldn't rely only on politely asking, either.

If the guy is really obnoxious, find something within the rules that will annoy him. Then do it. A lot.

EDIT: My post sounds a little inflammatory - I also completely agree trying to make friends is the best route. But if good faith efforts to be friendly fail, and then being a polite rule-abider don't work, one must step up the game. One failure to polite civilization is that it often lets the obnoxious and recalcitrant win, which isn't good for society either.

Edited by bunyon (06/26/13 11:34 AM)

Fuzzyguy
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Colorado/Kansas
      #5941299 - 06/26/13 11:35 AM

You might try putting up a patio table with an umbrella. I've got one that makes a great light block for the street light across the road. My HOA hasn't said a word in over 25 years I've had it. Although the umbrella itself will probably not block the light entirely, with a little creativity and some lightweight opaque material you can make the umbrella pretty light tight and no one will know the difference. It's also easy up and easy down.

Good luck!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: bunyon]
      #5941323 - 06/26/13 11:52 AM

Quote:

It sort of sounds like the neighbor complained about an "observatory" and the HOA folks didn't even come to take a look. So, the fact that it's temporary isn't a factor - they haven't seen your property. Perhaps I misinterpret. But if you aren't sure if they've been out for a look, invite them. Tell them you want to clear any trouble up so could them come tell you where the violation is. Be sure that when they come, the "observatory" is not up. If they say it all looks fine, just say something about your neighbor not liking you and harassing you - that may get them to ignore future complaints from him.

In other words, come off as the good guy to his bad guy.

If that doesn't work, (I've told this story before), I had a friend who responded to a neighbor's floods that shown in his bedroom by installing his own, to shine in their bedroom. It worked, the neighbors took theirs down. I'm completely on board that one shouldn't threaten others. But one shouldn't rely only on politely asking, either.

If the guy is really obnoxious, find something within the rules that will annoy him. Then do it. A lot.

EDIT: My post sounds a little inflammatory - I also completely agree trying to make friends is the best route. But if good faith efforts to be friendly fail, and then being a polite rule-abider don't work, one must step up the game. One failure to polite civilization is that it often lets the obnoxious and recalcitrant win, which isn't good for society either.

Except in one of his entries, the OP stated the neighbor WAS the president of the HOA....

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
      #5941333 - 06/26/13 12:03 PM

Quote: Except in one of his entries, the OP stated the neighbor WAS the president of the HOA....

I missed that.

I suspect moving is your only option.

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: The battle with HOA has began. [Re: csrlice12]
      #5941351 - 06/26/13 12:19 PM

Quote:

Except in one of his entries, the OP stated the neighbor WAS the president of the HOA....

Actually, i think that post might've been someone else's? I just re-read the thread, and the OP "suspects" it is a next-door-neighbor who "complained"... i don't think the NDN is the actual HOA prez. If he was, then yes- the goose is pretty well cooked.

Fortunately, there appears to be a move designed in the near future, intentionally, coupled with a li'l wedded bliss! Can't think of a better "solution" myself.

One question remains: Under current CA real estate law, concerning "disclosures", must one disclose for a real estate transaction that their HOA is run by control-freaks & pernicious busy-bodies? Or does this fall under "naturally occurring", like smelly skunks & air pollution?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4495

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics