Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: Mike B]
      #5942366 - 06/27/13 12:02 AM

When we shopped for our house in Las Vegas, I told my realtor if she even brought up a house associated with an HOA, I'd find another realtor. The last thing I'd want to do is pay a quarter million dollars for something and have someone else tell me what I can do with it. Sorry, I've lived in base housing on military installations before. I'm just too independent for that.

As for property value and having trashy neighbors? I'll gladly take the gamble with that rather than have some (expletive deleted) telling me how to rake my gravel or paint my house or trim my palm trees (I live in Las Vegas). Speaking of which, I have had my neighbor issues but none of them compare to the HOA issues I hear about from many of my friends. Besides, home values? What a joke! My house is only worth a quarter of what I paid for it so that doesn't mean much. Yet, we love our place.

I feel for AstroTatDad and his issues. I just chose not to buy into something like that. My issue is that I live in the Las Vegas Valley and a block from a major high school and I can't even see the sky half the time, so I don't set up since I go for faint fuzzies. I drive out of town to observe.

I chose to avoid HOAs at all costs, and feel it was well worth it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: Feidb]
      #5942399 - 06/27/13 01:09 AM

Quote:

When we shopped for our house in Las Vegas, I told my realtor if she even brought up a house associated with an HOA, I'd find another realtor. The last thing I'd want to do is pay a quarter million dollars for something and have someone else tell me what I can do with it. Sorry, I've lived in base housing on military installations before. I'm just too independent for that.

As for property value and having trashy neighbors? I'll gladly take the gamble with that rather than have some (expletive deleted) telling me how to rake my gravel or paint my house or trim my palm trees (I live in Las Vegas). Speaking of which, I have had my neighbor issues but none of them compare to the HOA issues I hear about from many of my friends. Besides, home values? What a joke! My house is only worth a quarter of what I paid for it so that doesn't mean much. Yet, we love our place.

I feel for AstroTatDad and his issues. I just chose not to buy into something like that. My issue is that I live in the Las Vegas Valley and a block from a major high school and I can't even see the sky half the time, so I don't set up since I go for faint fuzzies. I drive out of town to observe.

I chose to avoid HOAs at all costs, and feel it was well worth it.

Cool. I rented a condo in Vegas for 6 months back in 2008, near Red Rock. It wasn't to bad there, I just couldn't handle the heat lol.

Are new home will have no HOA, we told the guy that is helping me get this place set for the market to make sure when looking for our new home, no HOA. I'm excited this will be my first real house so going to make sure everything will be perfect, we hope lol. Better be if we are going to be dropping 350-500k The guy is really cool, feel we are in good hands, he knows I'm going to build a observatory.

So this time we when go look at the places I'm going to talk to the neighbors, tell them I look at the skies and will be building a observatory. Think that would be good, to meet them. Also check it out at night. but the area we are looking is very nice and is in a green zone.. just a little pricey.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: AstroTatDad]
      #5942621 - 06/27/13 08:01 AM

rec'd mod alert on this....cleaned up
and open for business.

Edited by tecmage (06/27/13 07:44 PM)

Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: droid]
      #5943997 - 06/27/13 11:23 PM

Outside of the HOA issue, I sacrificed the dark skies for everything else we wanted. I can live with that. I just have to have a working vehicle, gas money, and a warm body to go with me for security. I was never into observatories as it's too restrictive for me plus having to live in such an isolated spot to make it work. Being a Dob person also and no interest in astrophotography...

Besides, getting away for a bit for some peace and quiet isn't such a bad thing either!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5944784 - 06/28/13 01:19 PM

I was just out there and wondered how far away from the city you had to be to get some basic dark skies. I was staying in a hotel off of rt. 8 by some shopping mall...Mission Valley area.

AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: REC]
      #5945295 - 06/28/13 05:55 PM

Quote:

I was just out there and wondered how far away from the city you had to be to get some basic dark skies. I was staying in a hotel off of rt. 8 by some shopping mall...Mission Valley area.

oh wow, yeah you were not far at all, just needed to get on the 8 go east. We are going to go this evening.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5945337 - 06/28/13 06:21 PM

I just about bought a nice house in DesMoines, beautiful Landscaping, etc.
The realitor was nice enough to tell me that it was a HOA neighborhood.. I'll bet she's still wondering why it won't sell!
I ran away as fast as I could..
Every Woman wants to be an interior decorator at heart.
Its too bad it seems the worst ones at it seem to land on those boards.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: orion61]
      #5945394 - 06/28/13 07:04 PM

Quote:

Every Woman wants to be an interior decorator at heart.

No; not every woman!

JS999R

Reged: 12/07/11

Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: galexand]
      #5945547 - 06/28/13 08:40 PM

HOAs are a love/hate relationship. If they did their job, they would go after those individuals who trash their yards and bring down the property values or desirability of a potential buyer. I'm convinced there are more slobs in our neighborhoods and if not for an HOA, I would likely be living next to one. Then the other side of the coin is their urge to harass you over trivial matters and turn it into a federal case.

As we have seen moving out to the country is not always a solution because there are a fair share of weirdos there as well. Just figure their motivation why they are out there away from people in the first place, many of them are anti this and that to the ridiculous and especially get stranger when they have to follow a rule or two. All it takes is one powerful mercury vapor light in a dark location to ruin the dark environment. Do you think they have a clue or even care? I recall visiting the Golden State dark sky party last year and was amazed how one not to distant sun type light in front of a barn impacted the dark seeing. The light appeared so bright it was very annoying and I'm sure anyone into this hobby living close to him could build up a case of "light rage" over time.

I live in a typical tract home neighborhood and the glowing street lamps never actually bothered me before I became obsessed with astronomy. Actually they did because I like placing low voltage lights along pathways to accent and guide, but with a powerful laser beam street light overexposing the front yard, the accent lights are useless. I'm not talking about the cheesy Home Depot solar lights, the ones that come packed 10 to 20 of them to the carton and the homeowner insists on placing every last one like landing lights along borders just because he bought them. What common sense landscaping school did these people go to? Over time the lights burn out (useless anyway) or get knocked over or bent over and the typical homeowner just leaves them that way. Aggravates the hell out of me and a good reason to have an HOA around to go after them.

Yeah, I'm anal about keeping things up in the neighborhood, I would rather live next to or across the street from someone like myself rather than Joe Sixpack.

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5945551 - 06/28/13 08:44 PM

I was closing on my house in the older part of town when I was told about the HOA. I got up and left.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: JS999R]
      #5945766 - 06/28/13 10:54 PM

And I'll take Joe Sixpack over somebody that obsesses over a neighbor's defective solar light.

All I want from neighbors is that they don't annoy me with loud and bright whatever ,and they mostly mind their own business.In return,I'll mind mine!.

If you insist on controlling your neighbors' lives,don't be shocked when they return the favor.
And they may well consider being out in the dark "peeking with telescopes" something they don't want in THEIR community!

caheaton
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: BigC]
      #5945781 - 06/28/13 11:04 PM

Quote:

And I'll take Joe Sixpack over somebody that obsesses over a neighbor's defective solar light.

All I want from neighbors is that they don't annoy me with loud and bright whatever ,and they mostly mind their own business.In return,I'll mind mine!.

If you insist on controlling your neighbors' lives,don't be shocked when they return the favor.
And they may well consider being out in the dark "peeking with telescopes" something they don't want in THEIR community!

Jmax
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: Alabama
      #5945805 - 06/28/13 11:21 PM

I like my solar lights. I never knew they could be so offensive.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: Jmax]
      #5946575 - 06/29/13 01:18 PM

Quote:

I like my solar lights. I never knew they could be so offensive.

Only when handled by amateurs...

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #5947021 - 06/29/13 06:34 PM

Quote:

As we have seen moving out to the country is not always a solution because there are a fair share of weirdos there as well. Just figure their motivation why they are out there away from people in the first place, many of them are anti this and that to the ridiculous and especially get stranger when they have to follow a rule or two.

Sounds like my kind of folks; the type who value their liberty and resent unwarranted intrusion.

Being a suburbanite, I don't know the exact phrase that rural dwellers might use to describe those who must have not only their own lawns manicured, and their own houses without flaw, but in addition seek to inflict the same standards upon their hapless neighbors; however, I doubt that "weirdo" would be a sufficiently strong descriptor.

Fred

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5947204 - 06/29/13 09:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As we have seen moving out to the country is not always a solution because there are a fair share of weirdos there as well. Just figure their motivation why they are out there away from people in the first place, many of them are anti this and that to the ridiculous and especially get stranger when they have to follow a rule or two.

Most of us would call these people farmers. You know the ones that feed those of us that really think that their food comes from the store!

To be fair also. I am a rural FedEx driver and I do have two ummmmm....customers out there that I would consider OUT THERE!

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5951307 - 07/02/13 12:56 PM

Quote:

Then do a neighborly thing like feed the birds.

Oh no you don't!

Feeding birds? Definitely against HOA rules!! What ARE you thinking??

Someone must love the HOA way of living. That's fine but I'd never do it again!

Replace ratty, old windows? Need HOA approval!

Replace your front door? Need HOA approval!

Build an observatory??? You are out of your ever-lovin' mind to even consider such a thing in an HOA enclave!

Edited by dawziecat (07/02/13 01:13 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: dawziecat]
      #5951381 - 07/02/13 01:45 PM

According to HOA rules, here's nothing more dangerous then a Hermit with a telescope......HOA's fear us, those out in the middle of nowhere don't see us......but we're there, and our numbers are legion (we just don't have anything to do with each other outside of star parties).

REC
Post Laureate

Loc: NC
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5951486 - 07/02/13 03:06 PM

Good one!

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
      #5951965 - 07/02/13 07:39 PM

Quote:

...Yeah, I'm anal about keeping things up in the neighborhood, I would rather live next to or across the street from someone like myself rather than Joe Sixpack.

To each his own. I think you would much prefer where you are to the rural area where I live. (I am a farmer.)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4391

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics