Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: Mike B]
      #5957880 - 07/06/13 05:04 PM

hate to be the bucket of water here; but what if he accidentally shot someones child playing in the woods ON YOUR PROPERTY! You could be in for a bit of a civil legal action at a minimum.

I've lived in the country, and it was ALWAYS the kind thing to do to ask the landowner if it was ok to hunt on their land. That permission was also usually understood to be for the season and if something were to happen to change that, you'd call the hunter up and explain why....it's what they call being "neighbors"....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5957933 - 07/06/13 05:40 PM

Quote:

...it was ALWAYS the kind thing to do to ask the landowner if it was ok to hunt on their land.

Of course, that just makes sense. However, when the owner is only there occasionally, and the place is generally uninhabited, the etiquette in the are may've been "try to ask, but if not practical to do so, don't sweat it- just be a good neighbor". But that will depend on location & the local sentiments therewith. Wouldn't work here in CA, i'm sure. If you're an unauthorized trespasser here, you're probably assumed to be growing or cooking an illegal cash-crop.

I've considered attempting the "permission" route here in CA for hunting faint fuzzies, using someone's rural property for a dark + secure location. We ended up "leasing" a rural property in an astro-friendly "CSC-blue" subdivision, an undeveloped lot with dirt-road access, for nominal costs. For our small group this has been perfect.

I'm quite sure it pays to inquire about these things locally- before getting antagonistic, flexing muscles, and/or calling in the heat.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5958060 - 07/06/13 07:14 PM

Seems to be a lot of blaming the victim going on here.

Chris

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5958126 - 07/06/13 08:16 PM

No, you're right Chris- the retaliation described was not in any way justified. Even if the locals perceived they'd been wronged by the home owner's reaction, their OWN reaction was out of line, out of scale, and inexcusable!

I don't know what type of fine they might've incurred... maybe a dead fish left on the porch as a "thank-you" would've better fit the occasion? I dunno... there was clearly an "us-and-them" antagonism working on both sides of this.

Pertinent to the thread's title, however, might be the underlying theme of general human nature & its truly unfortunate tendency towards inappropriate action, and reaction. As Spock might say, "the very flower of humanity".

guangtou
sage

Reged: 03/27/10

#5961752 - 07/09/13 06:45 AM

"some form of tit-for-tat repercussion was almost a certainty"

The kind of person who would retaliate by burglarizing someone's home would be unlikely to respond positively to a nice chat. Someone walking around with a gun on my property would also definitely get to explain that to the police.

I've been in real estate for a while now and have met my fair share of folks who do not understand or care about boundaries. A nice talk to an intentional trespasser will be perceived as weakness. Usually the only thing that gets their attention is legal action.

That being said, it is true once you go down that road things change.

I for one plan to retire in one of those astro-friendly communities where the biggest tension between neighbors should be whose scope slews the loudest.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: guangtou]
      #5961894 - 07/09/13 09:44 AM

Remember, big dobs can be used as searchlights in an emergency; it's one advantage they have over refractors; in a pinch you can use the mirror to cook pizza with, signal rescuers, shave, or put a light in it and point out things in the sky at night. My AP neighbor hates it when I do that......the pizza's pretty good though

tecmageModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
      #5962057 - 07/09/13 11:54 AM

The topic of this thread is about Home Owners' Associations.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: vsteblina]
      #5962410 - 07/09/13 03:48 PM

Quote:

For those of you looking for rural property without the fear of bright rural lights......find communities off-the-grid. There are lots of them throughout the United States....1.5 million people's worth.

What stinks is that when we lived in a rural valley out in the middle of nowhere with pitch black skies and perfect seeing I had no money for telescopes. Now that we have the money all we have is horrible light pollution in this suburban perpetual twilight.

obin

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: obin robinson]
      #5965868 - 07/11/13 03:05 PM

I live in an HOA with rules:
--no streetlights in the HOA
--any/all house exterior lighting has to have its source not be visible from the street or neighbor's yard.
That's the good news.
The bad news?
I live in the middle of Los Angeles--a tiny red zone oasis in a white zone.
My night sky is orange. What color is yours?

Edited by Starman1 (07/11/13 03:08 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: Starman1]
      #5965876 - 07/11/13 03:10 PM

"My night sky is orange. What color is yours?"

What is this "Night" thing you talk about????

Denver Tech Center White Zone, where the lights not only shine outward, but up too........

Mike B
Starstruck

#5965944 - 07/11/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

where the lights not only shine outward, but up too........

Our dark-sky site, in a "blue" zone, is about 22 miles as the condor flies from a state prison... a facility that throws at least as much light UP into the night sky as it does downward onto the grounds & buildings. It appears as a soft glow on our s-westerly horizon...

We figger this stems from a rash of night-time helicopter prison escapes depicted in the movies... they sure aren't gonna get away with it here in CA!

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5966049 - 07/11/13 04:52 PM

Hey helicopters require quite a bit of light to be able to land at night.........

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #5966230 - 07/11/13 07:16 PM

Quote:

My night sky is orange. What color is yours?

Mine is milky white because of all the water vapor a nearby 500KW power plant spews into the air 24/7/365. It's like being at the bottom of a bowl of clam chowder.

DonMendoza

Reged: 01/23/12

Loc: Greensboro NC
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5966412 - 07/11/13 09:49 PM

20 miles east of Manhattan. there is no night. after the sun sets, the clouds are orange, clear sky is pink.

Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/08

Loc: Northern Colorado
Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: DonMendoza]
      #5967200 - 07/12/13 11:08 AM

Quote:

20 miles east of Manhattan. there is no night. after the sun sets, the clouds are orange, clear sky is pink.

So, Union County, NJ is in the Atlantic Ocean?

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: The battle with HOA has began. new [Re: Kfrank]
      #5967211 - 07/12/13 11:15 AM

No, it's just not dark...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4491

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics