Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
Tom_H

Reged: 03/10/10

Loc: Russellville, Ar.
Astro Tortillia - Cygwin Problem new
      #5934477 - 06/22/13 11:47 AM

Hello
Due to a computer failure in the observatory, I have had to shuffle computers around to keep from have a Win 8 computer in the observatory. I have never had any problem installing Astro Tortillia, but after 6-7 tries I'm about to give up.
There is no problem in the installation of Astro Tortillia, and the Astrometry files but when the program tries to connect to some URL to download the Cygwin files, it never establishes contact, and the program completes without this part of the installation being completed. I'm flat out frustrated with this... Any help anyone ???

Regards
Tom_H

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Astro Tortillia - Cygwin Problem new [Re: Tom_H]
      #5934573 - 06/22/13 12:50 PM

Quote:

Hello
Due to a computer failure in the observatory, I have had to shuffle computers around to keep from have a Win 8 computer in the observatory. I have never had any problem installing Astro Tortillia, but after 6-7 tries I'm about to give up.
There is no problem in the installation of Astro Tortillia, and the Astrometry files but when the program tries to connect to some URL to download the Cygwin files, it never establishes contact, and the program completes without this part of the installation being completed. I'm flat out frustrated with this... Any help anyone ???

Regards
Tom_H

Tom,
I had a similar problem when installing AT/Cygwin on a Windows 7 laptop and after much frustration, copied the C:\Cygwin folder complete with all sub folders and directories from a different computer to a portable RS232 harddrive which I then could copy to the laptop harddrive which fixed the problem...

Some of the AT installers, version 0.4 if my memory is correct would not work on all machines. However it is my understanding this problem has been fixed and if you are using the latest version (0.5.2 or later), you should not be having problems. If you are using a current version, then you should go to the http://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/discussion/ website and report the problem you are having...

Tom_H

Re: Astro Tortillia - Cygwin Problem new [Re: fmhill]
      #5934706 - 06/22/13 02:24 PM

Hi Mitch
I posted this problem on the Sourceforge website and this is the response....

"Our mirror server hosting the necessary binaries appears to be misconfigured at the moment. It's a donation service and it's now midsummer, so a fix is not likely to occur soon.

The data is still there, just the web frontend is unavailable."

So for all you wannbe's that would like to install the software, guess me and you are gonna have to wait a while

Regards
Tom

fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Astro Tortillia - Cygwin Problem new [Re: Tom_H]
      #5934759 - 06/22/13 02:55 PM

That's a bummer!!! However, you can copy the entire Cygwin installation from another computer and simply copy it to the correct directory on the new computer and AT will find it...

Otherwise I guess you have to wait until they fix the configuration problem on the website.

My guess is that Antti will not let this problem exist for long, he usually quick to find a solution to problems however not sure he has much control of this situation from what I read in the support "Discussion" area... We'll just have to wait and see what develops...

eps0mu0

Reged: 01/16/06

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Astro Tortillia - Cygwin Problem new [Re: fmhill]
      #5936403 - 06/23/13 01:30 PM

Cygwin is a popular program, and can be installed from other sites. Does anyone know if it is possible to install the Cygwin separately from the AT install?

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Astro Tortillia - Cygwin Problem new [Re: eps0mu0]
      #5940839 - 06/26/13 02:17 AM

You guys want me to zip up my cygwin directory and put it on drop box? Just send me a PM.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Astro Tortillia - Cygwin Problem [Re: Raginar]
      #5942945 - 06/27/13 11:25 AM

Tom and I ops tested this and it works. Only issue you may want to change is keeping your own index files... this has all of them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8babv6d8e98udc/cygwin.rar

Good luck,

Geoflewis

Reged: 07/09/13

Re: Astro Tortillia - Cygwin Problem new [Re: Raginar]
      #5961871 - 07/09/13 09:23 AM

Hi, I've downloaded the cygwin.rar file, but my system doesn't recognise it, so how do I open it. Once it is opened how do I use it to he complete tinstall Astrotortilla? I have all the index files installed in their directory, but ran into issues when I try to run Cygwin set up and was directed to this thread from the AT issues page. Regards Geof

Tom_H

Re: Astro Tortillia - Cygwin Problem new [Re: Geoflewis]
      #5966205 - 07/11/13 06:55 PM

Hi Geof
I just got back into town and read your post. First of all, the Cygwin file is a "rar" archive file. You can uncompress it with 7-unzip. Move the uncompressed files to the Cygwin directory that was created when you did the Astro Tortillia install. Astro Tortillia should not have any problem with the files. You will have to fiddle with the options in AP in order to get it to work.

Regards
Tom

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 675

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics