Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

AZ-EQ6 / Firmware v3.35 Pointing Issue new
      #5942612 - 06/27/13 07:49 AM

I and a few other owners of the AZ-EQ6 have run into a strange GoTo pointing issue with firmware v3.35 when in AZ Mode. This came to the forefront when we were using SkySafari to run the AZ-EQ6. This could have existed in previous firmware versions, but we have realized that it is now a problem. I have confirmed that it is an issue with the AZ-EQ6 or firmware not SkySafari. It appears that in certain areas of the sky (and depending from which direction you approach an object), the mount settles about one degree below the object for which you are looking. As it comes close to the object, it goes through a strange series of several up and down movements before it finally settles on where it thinks the object is located but ends up about one degree below the object. When the mount normally gets to an object, it makes a very short movement to center the object. This behavior has been especially prominent now around Ursa Major and Minor. I noticed this when going from Polaris to Kochar, Mizar, and Alkaid. Dubhe was ok. If I approach the object from the opposite direction, the mount points properly. I had no issue with anywhere else in the sky. After later restarting and realigning the mount, I had issues with some objects around the zenith. Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

JohnD

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CA Stargazer

Reged: 01/27/12

Loc: Milpitas, California
Re: AZ-EQ6 / Firmware v3.35 Pointing Issue [Re: johnpd]
      #5943073 - 06/27/13 12:59 PM

I have noticed the hunting at the end of goto, but while in EQ mode.
Probably due to the encoders, I know my Sirius doesn't hunt like that.
Hope to confirm on the next clear night with the encoder disabled.

I have yet to try AZ mode.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 211

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics