Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
manual setting circles new
      #5942988 - 06/27/13 12:00 PM

ive ask this question before but lost my notes that I wrote down. I have a altazimuth mount with manual setting circles. I would like to try them out but not sure how to use them, the instruction manual does not have any info, on the subject. I have a kindle fire tablet and a laptop running windows 7, what would be a good program to get the altazimuth coordinates with.i would appreciate some instructions on this. thanks, donnie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: manual setting circles new [Re: donnie3]
      #5943074 - 06/27/13 01:00 PM

The mount needs to be as close to level as you can get it. Point the scope at Polaris and set the azimuth circle to 0. You will now need the services of a computer program that will give the current altitude and azimuth of objects--most planetarium programs will. point at a bright star, perhaps, and set the altitude circle to the current altitude as given in the program. Azimuth should be correct. Now, just get the alt-az of the object you want to view and move the scope until the circles indicate that altitude and azimuth. What kind of accuracy? If I level my 8-inch Dobbie carefully, it will put some objects in the field of a low power eyepiece and most within about a degree or so, but it has a large azimuth circle and a level indicator for altitude and is likely more accurate than small circles on an alt-az mount.

Edited by rmollise (06/27/13 01:01 PM)

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: manual setting circles new [Re: rmollise]
      #5943121 - 06/27/13 01:32 PM

uncle rod, thanks for the instructions. I printed this out and put it where i can find it when needed. thanks again. Donnie.

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: manual setting circles [Re: donnie3]
      #5943134 - 06/27/13 01:37 PM

Hey Donnie

Use your mouse and highlight Rod's reply. Right click, then choose "copy". Left click on your start button, then choose->all programs-> accessories-> notepad

Paste

Save as a text file in your "Documents" folder.

Edited by Tom and Beth (06/27/13 01:38 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 222

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics