Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Tandum]
      #5960758 - 07/08/13 03:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess only if you're suffering from OCD and/or anal about balance. Don't really know if it will have an effect on tracking performance. Northern hemisphere users might be affected more because for them, this mount is west-heavy by default.

Well thank you very much. I was just giving a heads up as to the balance issues. And no, I don't have any of the disorders you mention... [SNIP]

Some people down here are complaining, others are not. Some have bolted a bar where the polar scope should be and hung dew heater/dc disribution boxes there.

Here's maxim guiding tonight without the polar scope with an OAG at 1.2meters and a preview of the first almost finished image off the mount.

http://starshed.net/temp/maxim2.jpg

http://starshed.net/temp/6188.jpg

Steady on, mate! I don't think frozen.kryo was criticising you at all. Perhaps the balance issue seemed more like a nitpick. But there's no need to go ballistic.

Nice pics.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rob288

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: South Canterbury, New Zealand
      #5960913 - 07/08/13 05:09 PM

Take a look at some of the pics on the web, the boxes arrive on a pallet, most retailers have under estimated the freight, simple option, ask them for a discount and drive all the way in a van or truck and collect, because it won't fit in a normal car or SUV.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Stew57]
      #5961294 - 07/08/13 10:05 PM

I was the one that asked if the balance issue was important.

For a mount with this capacity, if the weight of the polar scope made any difference at all in the mount's performance, I would run far away and fast.

I can understand, coming from smaller or entry level mounts, that people may be used to them being sensitive to balance. The thing is, with a 100lb plus capacity, the weight of the polar scope should be inconsequential. I would be curious about how smoothly it tracks, how well it responds to guiding, etc. - but would never expect to see this as an issue.

If it's really necessary to employ the above workarounds to offset the missing polar scope in order for the mount to perform, I would scratch this one off my list.

frozen.kryo

Reged: 01/28/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #5961468 - 07/08/13 11:43 PM

Like what BPO says, I wasn't criticizing or insulting you. That was not my intention at all.

That post was a reply to WadeH, and is my honest opinion. I think I am entitled to one: that the balance 'issue' is insignificnt.

Still, I can see why my post could be misconstrued as an insult.

So, apologies to Tandum, and anyone else offended by my post.

Steven
sage

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: frozen.kryo]
      #5961582 - 07/09/13 01:40 AM

KW Telescope / Perceptor listed it at CAD$3,799.00
Here

Edited by Steven (07/09/13 01:45 AM)

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/11

Loc: New York
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Steven]
      #5974365 - 07/16/13 03:01 PM

I have a question...how do you control this mount with a PC? It only appears to have a hand control port, st-4 autoguide port, power input, some silly shutter control output for dslrs, but no rs232.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Mike7Mak]
      #5974458 - 07/16/13 03:57 PM

Quote:

I have a question...how do you control this mount with a PC? It only appears to have a hand control port, st-4 autoguide port, power input, some silly shutter control output for dslrs, but no rs232.

As with many mounts, the RS232 port is on the hand control.

OR...

You can use it with EQMOD with an EQDIR plugged into the HC port in lieu of the hand control

telfish
sage

Reged: 11/17/10

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: rmollise]
      #5974576 - 07/16/13 04:41 PM

Or you could buy or make a bluetooth adapter that plugs right into the mounts hand control port and go wireless.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Steven]
      #5974649 - 07/16/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

KW Telescope / Perceptor listed it at CAD$3,799.00

That's quite a bit lower than i Denmark or Europe. We pay the equivalent of CAD$4,487.00 (prices per 07/16, 2013)

Edit: And we're still jumping up and down, because this mount is so cheap. I want one, to put a biiiig refractor on!

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen (07/16/13 05:16 PM)

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

#5974734 - 07/16/13 06:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As with many mounts, the RS232 port is on the hand control.

OR...

You can use it with EQMOD with an EQDIR plugged into the HC port in lieu of the hand control

Ahh. All I'm familiar with is AutostarII. So the firmware and memory are in the hand control, not the mount itself. Seems like a better way to go after experiencing a motherboard failure in my LX200gps.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: telfish]
      #5974767 - 07/16/13 06:25 PM

Quote:

Or you could buy or make a bluetooth adapter that plugs right into the mounts hand control port and go wireless.

You can with EQMOD in the mix, but only with EQMOD in the mix. He asked "Where's the serial port?" not where's my dadgum Bluetooth?"

rmollise
Postmaster

#5974772 - 07/16/13 06:27 PM

Quote:

Ahh. All I'm familiar with is AutostarII. So the firmware and memory are in the hand control, not the mount itself. Seems like a better way to go after experiencing a motherboard failure in my LX200gps.

Negative, firmware is in both places. The hand control sends commands that are interpreted and acted on by a motor controller board (with firmware) in the mount.

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

#5974823 - 07/16/13 07:03 PM

Well this mount would definitely be a paradigm shift for me. Being both a gem and not Meade. I am pretty tired of waiting for a fork mount in this class. The Avalon M-1 is attractive but pricey for it's weight class. Nice portable mount but a little light for a permanent obs mount.

telfish
sage

Reged: 11/17/10

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
      #5975512 - 07/17/13 07:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You can with EQMOD in the mix, but only with EQMOD in the mix. He asked "Where's the serial port?" not where's my dadgum Bluetooth?"

I was answering the next follow up question! I am a Psychic.

My aim is to make my mount totally wireless. Now if only I could magic up a way of sending power over the airways I would be good.

My Psychic powers do not tell me when that will be invented!

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: telfish]
      #5975609 - 07/17/13 09:14 AM

I've thought about wireless a time or two, but, yeah, unless you have a wireless way to send power, video, USB images, etc., etc., etc, it's kinda of a waste of time IMHO.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #5975762 - 07/17/13 11:08 AM

Wireless power exists. Its just not efficient. Some boffins have powered up a low power lightbulb fitting wirelessly but could not get the efficiency to be cost effective.

Id be happy enough with a power socket located at the bottom of the tripod leg. Less trailing cables that way

Edited by Hilmi (07/17/13 11:09 AM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5976056 - 07/17/13 01:58 PM

Well, yeah, Tesla did wireless power a century ago, but I ain't going down that road.

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

#5976499 - 07/17/13 06:01 PM

Ok is the exchange rate at play here or are the $4k figures listed elsewhere wishful thinking? N.Z.Telescopes has it listed at $6500, which frankly sounds realistic. $4k for this mount just seems too good to be true.

http://langwoodsphotography.com/eshop/Skywatcher-EQ8-Mount.html

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
      #5976510 - 07/17/13 06:06 PM

The NZ dollar is pretty puny. Australian retailers advertise the EQ8 for around AU$4,000 to AU$4,500 or so.

lucky305

Reged: 04/03/08

Poiuytreeewqqease new [Re: BPO]
      #5976854 - 07/17/13 09:30 PM

To
MLB

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9831

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics