Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Tandum
sage

Reged: 03/01/10

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5957291 - 07/06/13 10:11 AM

A heads up for you guys. The mount will not balance in ra without the polar scope.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Coastal

Reged: 04/23/09

Loc: Vancouver island, Canada
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Tandum]
      #5957413 - 07/06/13 11:57 AM

Quote:

A heads up for you guys. The mount will not balance in ra without the polar scope.

Do you mean that without a telescope the mount will tip without the polar scope? If so I'm not too worried...

lafo0100

Reged: 05/05/13

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Coastal]
      #5957741 - 07/06/13 03:33 PM

Thanks Tandum. Unfortunately the north american eq8's didn't come with the polar scope assembly. They are charging an $200 for it on top of the recent $400 price hike on the mount itself.

Coastal

Reged: 04/23/09

Loc: Vancouver island, Canada
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: lafo0100]
      #5957784 - 07/06/13 04:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks Tandum. Unfortunately the north american eq8's didn't come with the polar scope assembly. They are charging an $200 for it on top of the recent $400 price hike on the mount itself.

The polar scope would probably just sit in my toolbox. Anyway not all dealers are charging $400 extra, just the greedy ones.

EDIT: Interesting, the manufacturer's minimum advertised price is no longer listed on the Canadian Skywatcher website.

Edited by Coastal (07/06/13 04:05 PM)

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5957790 - 07/06/13 04:05 PM

Quote:

The mount will not balance in ra without the polar scope.

What do you mean? I don't understand why it won't balance. The polar scope just bolts to the side of the RA housing, I think.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5957817 - 07/06/13 04:19 PM

Quote:

How does a polar scope that bolts onto the RA housing prevent balancing?

lafo0100

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: rmollise]
      #5957948 - 07/06/13 05:45 PM

Just had my eq8 taken apart at the dealer today and the off balance makes sense. The polar scope assembly offsets the weight of the stepper motors and the encoders. The stepper assemblies are approximately 1.5 lbs each. A dual ota bar also fixes the trick.

As for the cost, the increase is due to "additional unforeseen shipping" skywatcher didn't account for. The new MRSP as of Wednesday is $4200 CDN. Ridiculous? Absolutely!

rob288

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: South Canterbury, New Zealand
      #5958002 - 07/06/13 06:20 PM

Balancing issues that some are having, may have to do with what scope and accessories are on top, our 12 inch Newtonian with finder, and guider balances fine, as does the C11 with finder and guider, I am assuming that the guider is sufficient and its placement to balance out not having the polar scope.

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
      #5958027 - 07/06/13 06:40 PM

Does this imply that it's not as good a mount as a Losmandy Titan? I'm contemplating a new mount for my C14 to do high resolution planetary imaging. The current mount is a CGE-Pro and I was thinking about moving to the Titan, unless this mount out performs the CGE-Pro and is close to the Titan.

Thanks!!
Paul

Quote:

As for the cost, the increase is due to "additional unforeseen shipping" skywatcher didn't account for. The new MRSP as of Wednesday is $4200 CDN. Ridiculous? Absolutely!

lafo0100

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5958063 - 07/06/13 07:19 PM

The eq8 is a gem in comparison to the those two mounts. I've used the CGE PRO and the Titan in the passed. I've been told that the cost increase is strictly to cover the additional shipping cost. The shipping is pretty crazy. I was quoted $450 to my door for a 400 km trip. Otherwise it would still be the same.

We've had crummy weather since the snow melted, but my friend and I will be comapring the eq8 to the Titan the first chance we get.

astroman365

Reged: 11/28/12

#5958093 - 07/06/13 07:38 PM

Here is a good link to a video review on the EQ-8 mount:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd95pnNOMcQ&feature=player_embedded#at=171

Sunspot
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: astroman365]
      #5958113 - 07/06/13 07:56 PM

That was very informative. It speaks big to compare it to the AP1200 mount. I see that Sky-Watcher is going to be at the Tucson Expo in November. Hopefully they will have a mount there...especially since I have a very good friend who works for Sky-Watcher.

Thanks!!
Paul

Quote:

Here is a good link to a video review on the EQ-8 mount:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd95pnNOMcQ&feature=player_embedded#at=171

frozen.kryo

Reged: 01/28/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: rmollise]
      #5958220 - 07/06/13 10:08 PM

I don't own the mount, but from what I've read, both RA and DEC motorblocks are on the same side. The mount tends to "fall" to this side. The polarscope acts as some sort of counterbalance to the motorblocks.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: frozen.kryo]
      #5958403 - 07/07/13 02:03 AM

Why would you care about any imbalance that's only the weight of the polar scope on a mount with the capacity of the EQ8?

frozen.kryo

Reged: 01/28/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: WadeH237]
      #5958491 - 07/07/13 05:33 AM

I guess only if you're suffering from OCD and/or anal about balance. Don't really know if it will have an effect on tracking performance. Northern hemisphere users might be affected more because for them, this mount is west-heavy by default.

Edited by frozen.kryo (07/07/13 05:35 AM)

mark379
sage

Reged: 02/07/09

Loc: New Jersey
      #5959353 - 07/07/13 05:56 PM

Could someone submit a review when they've had enough hours under the stars with one? That may prove to give more insight...

Tandum
sage

#5960376 - 07/08/13 11:38 AM

Quote:

I guess only if you're suffering from OCD and/or anal about balance. Don't really know if it will have an effect on tracking performance. Northern hemisphere users might be affected more because for them, this mount is west-heavy by default.

Well thank you very much. I was just giving a heads up as to the balance issues. And no, I don't have any of the disorders you mention, you unknown insignificant wanker. How does that make you feel *BLEEP* ?

Some people down here are complaining, others are not. Some have bolted a bar where the polar scope should be and hung dew heater/dc disribution boxes there.

Here's maxim guiding tonight without the polar scope with an OAG at 1.2meters and a preview of the first almost finished image off the mount.

http://starshed.net/temp/maxim2.jpg

http://starshed.net/temp/6188.jpg

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
      #5960430 - 07/08/13 12:16 PM

The balance issue can be corrected to me that's no big deal, but this oops $400 price increase the day it comes out is a real turn off imo.

I mean that's more then 10% of the cost of the mount in ADDITIONAL shipping charges? What did they think they container would be free? Were they behind schedule and decided instead of another delay they'd ship them via air mail and jack up the price to compensate?

This may very well end up being the best mount in it's price range and it's still cheaper then the CGE PRO which is probably the closest competition if you can call being owned by the same company competition. You can still get 2 of these before you can get a parmaount MX or AP mount less the mach 1. It just seems to me they should have thought of this.

Other thing to think about is the Canadian dollar has dropped a lot and leveled off around 95 cents USD. Up until recently it was basically at par or 98-99 cents. This may account for some of the increase as well.

I'm about a year away from upgrading to a mount in this price range so plenty of time to see how it does. I remember seeing a special introductory price of 3299 at one shop thinking it was too good to be true and almost ordered one then.

Still I'm looking forward to seeing and reading more about them.

Tandum
sage

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: corpusse]
      #5960471 - 07/08/13 12:38 PM

Same thing happened here. It was the carriers here. They would not carry it unless it was on a pallet. Cost me an extra hundred dollars. What do ya do ....

Sunspot
Postmaster

Re: EQ 8 Release new [Re: corpusse]
      #5960684 - 07/08/13 02:46 PM

I'm confused, isn't the price still about 1/3 of an AP1200 and 1/2 of a Titan, the two mounts it is supposed to compete against?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9523

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics