Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
Re: Celestron Nexstar vs Skywatcher Synscan GOTO pointing accuracy new [Re: Moromete]
      #6001295 - 08/01/13 10:58 AM

Hello Moromete,
if you check the stars even near the cecter of the pictures(it is more evident from the second picture and later) they are oval.
I might be mistaken but unless these are cropped parts of a wider field of view near the edge of it,it is unlikely(at least regarding me) that it is coma or field curcavure.
I believe it is more probable that this is caused by tracking error,and that could be Periodic error,or drift.
If we exclude drift due to polar alingment,this leaves only error introduced periodically by the gears.(in ideal conditions of wind)

These are my thoughts.
Said all that i repeat these are great unguided images!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Moromete
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/15/12

Loc: Romania
Re: Celestron Nexstar vs Skywatcher Synscan GOTO pointing accuracy new [Re: Mike X.]
      #6005910 - 08/04/13 07:02 AM

There was no crop. Actually the LodestarC sensor was not perfectly square with reducer's lens so this maybe could be another reason for the oval stars.

Mike, any news regarding your AZ-EQ6?

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
Re: Celestron Nexstar vs Skywatcher Synscan GOTO pointing accuracy new [Re: Moromete]
      #6010237 - 08/06/13 08:05 PM

That could be too.
Not many news as I can't use it for a week or so as at the moment I'm away from my mount
Last weekend only I had time to gather a couple of hours of signal on ic1396 but that's about it.
I had tightened the backlash a little bit too much and got some binding on both axes...so I loosen them up aand went much better...still need to loosen up the dec axis though and fine tune the ra.
The process is easy but it is a sort of error and trial...
Much easier than the cg5 anyways.
Goto was not influenced, I was getting only some huge non periodic pikes on the phd graph...I hope I can fine tune them soon so can use the rest of my free days for some photos.

Moromete
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/15/12

Loc: Romania
Re: Celestron Nexstar vs Skywatcher Synscan GOTO pointing accuracy new [Re: Mike X.]
      #6013416 - 08/08/13 11:08 AM

Mike, I wish you best of luck with your lovely AZ-EQ6!

I'm waiting to see your unguided tests with the mount.

PS: I saw your Youtube movie with Saturn and the AZ-EQ6 seemed a woobly with C6 on top of it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6002

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics