Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
EZPlanetary and QHY5L-II Question
      #5944661 - 06/28/13 11:47 AM

I bought my QHY5L-II mono primarily as an autoguider, but love its ability to double as a good planetary imager. So far I have used the EZPlanetary software that comes with the camera to capture the frames and generate AVIs.

Since I am all into multi-functional, is it possible to get the QHY5L-II to take long exposure snapshots? I tried to do this with EZPlanetary but was unsuccessful. I have not been able to find any decent documentation for this capture program. Are there other capture programs out there that can do this with the QHY5L-II if EZPlanetary can't?

I apologize if my question is a little off topic, since I am interested in taking the longer exposure snapshots with it for DSO objects. However, since it involves using planetary capture software, I figured this would be the best forum to ask my question on.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RedLionNJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/29/09

Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA
Re: EZPlanetary and QHY5L-II Question new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #5944710 - 06/28/13 12:26 PM

I believe FireCapture v2.3 has the capability of running the QHY series, but there are some outstanding issues regarding the QHY driver which Torsten (FireCapture owner) is awaiting resolution for.

CS,
Grant

smitty0

Reged: 03/17/12

Re: EZPlanetary and QHY5L-II Question new [Re: RedLionNJ]
      #5944939 - 06/28/13 02:49 PM

Yes, in EZPlanetary chose 'Camera Setup' -> 'Camera Advanced Setting' -> 'Long Exposure mode', then chose exposure time with left slider (in sec).

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Re: EZPlanetary and QHY5L-II Question new [Re: smitty0]
      #5945133 - 06/28/13 04:28 PM

Smitty,

I had tried that already. It seemed to ignore the seconds setting that I chose because when I pressed the Snap button, it created a Tif file immediately.

Grant,

Thanks for the heads up on FireCapture. I will look into that.

smitty0

Reged: 03/17/12

Re: EZPlanetary and QHY5L-II Question new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #5945146 - 06/28/13 04:38 PM

For video select ".fits", select long exposure (5 sec for example), and press capture video.

fbzolt

Reged: 04/03/13

Loc: Edgewood, NM
      #5945163 - 06/28/13 04:45 PM

I use Nebulosity 3.0 for long exposures on the QHY5L-II. I've had no problems with the exposure times or lockups and it allows for sequences of exposures.

Frank Z...

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

#5945186 - 06/28/13 04:54 PM

Quote:

For video select ".fits", select long exposure (5 sec for example), and press capture video.

Smitty,

I think that was the piece that I was missing. I had thought to try the Video button instead of the Snap button, but I forgot to change the video format from AVI

I will give that a try next time I get a chance. Right now I am just playing around to see what it will do. If I get serious with it I will probably get a more sofisticated capture program like FireCapture or Nebulosity.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I knew this was the right forum to post my question to.

stelios_STI

Reged: 04/23/12

Loc: Greece
Re: EZPlanetary and QHY5L-II Question new [Re: fbzolt]
      #5945829 - 06/28/13 11:37 PM

Quote:

I use Nebulosity 3.0 for long exposures on the QHY5L-II. I've had no problems with the exposure times or lockups and it allows for sequences of exposures.

Frank Z...

Frank, in neb3 when you connect the camera you check the 12bit mode? I try with neb3 too but I get a very noisy image. .....

fbzolt

Reged: 04/03/13

Loc: Edgewood, NM
Re: EZPlanetary and QHY5L-II Question new [Re: stelios_STI]
      #5948222 - 06/30/13 03:18 PM

I do check the 12 bit box in ASCOM driver, but since the camera is not cooled I have to take a series of dark frames with each sequence. Around here (NM) the temps can drop quite a bit during the night, so sets of unique darks are important for this camera with long exposures. I use Deep Sky Stacker to stack the frames and subtract the darks. Right now I'm just doing some testing to get the feel of some image processing while getting ready to get a cooled long exposure CCD camera. I'll post some of the longer exposure stuff in other forums.

Frank Z...

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Re: EZPlanetary and QHY5L-II Question new [Re: fbzolt]
      #5949328 - 07/01/13 09:32 AM

Ok, I changed the video format to fits and that worked. Thanks Smitty.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 975

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics