Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Mr Greybush
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/13

Loc: Virginia
Celestrons adv vx mount
      #5945171 - 06/28/13 04:48 PM

I'll keep this short and sweet. I want to dump the Nexstar mount I have for my C8 for the vx mount should I or not???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: Mr Greybush]
      #5945225 - 06/28/13 05:16 PM

I hear good things about it, and it would run a C8 very well... but the other question is, do you want to go from Alt-Az to a GEM? Its a whole different experience.

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: WesC]
      #5945309 - 06/28/13 06:07 PM

I've went through a hand full of scopes in a year. I've had a nexstar 5se with the single arm and a have a CPC1100 with the fork arms, and I have a C6R on a VX mount, so here's my 2 cents.

The single arm of the 5se was a little weak and I often felt a heavy eyepiece, like a baader zoom was somewhat pushing the limits of the mount. If a kid would touch it, they would almost always pull it out of alignment. it was pretty shaky when focusing and in the wind. If you slapped a focal reducer on it, along with the visual back and diagonal, I could bottom it out at zenith.

The VX is a nice mount, but it takes me much longer to set it up. Polar aligning isn't difficult, but it takes longer, and it means probably being on your knees at the beginning on the night. The refractor puts me in all sorts of positions. A SCT on a eq mount would probably keep you more comfortable but I think you'd might still have some odd positions while viewing. And the handset is always in the wrong place. if I'm viewing and my back is to the north, my handset it always on the sw or se leg.

I don't do imaging, but I might try to dabble in it at some point. So it's kind of nice to have an EQ mount.

The most comfortable scope for imaging is (in my opinion) the dual fork design of the CPC. The dual arms support any eyepiece weight I throw at it, though I have had to add front weight after I bought my binoviewers. The positions I sit in are always somewhere between 2 very set positions, all which are very comfortable. (the VX I've went from standing on a stool trying to see Jupiter, to sitting completely on the ground when looking near zenith...on the same night).

so if your just doing visual, my personal preference is a fork mounted ota. if you want to dabble in imaging the vx would probably be ok, but you might outgrow that once you start slapping imaging gear on there.

my 2 cents. Good luck.
Jim

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: jerwin]
      #5945319 - 06/28/13 06:13 PM

I should also add that my first vx showed up, I played with it, but was clouded over. It was clear a few nights later and I set it up outside and used it for a few hours. Took it back inside for the next 3 weeks of clouds. Got a clear night and took it back outside and it was dead. I had handset errors that followed the handset to my other scope, and when trying my cpc handset on the vx it wouldn't boot. I had owned it for 31 days, so a day past the 30 day warranty from the vender, so they deferred me to celestron. After a few days dealing with support they gave me a shipping label, I sent it back and 3 weeks later got a new mount that has worked perfectly ever sense. So if you get one and it's cloudy, test it every night so you know if it dies on you during the venders warranty period, as I think they would have had a quicker turn around.

Jim

Mr Greybush
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/13

Loc: Virginia
Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: WesC]
      #5945344 - 06/28/13 06:25 PM

Wes I've tried several times to try and explain myself why I asked but I'm unsatisfied with the Nexstar mount. A GEM mount is meant for astronomy more than an Alt-Az. I could explain more of the problems I'm having but those who know this mount will tell you that Celestron should have payed more attention to the mount as they did with the OTA's.

steve-in-kville
sage

Reged: 12/24/07

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: Mr Greybush]
      #5946354 - 06/29/13 11:08 AM

I have one. I had an initial problem with the dec. knob not being installed properly. I was able to fix it, but it ruined my first night out with it.

All is well now. I am still learning to do an alignment with all the tress in my yard.

exmedia
sage

Reged: 05/26/13

Loc: Orange County, CA
Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: steve-in-kville]
      #5946671 - 06/29/13 02:22 PM

I've had a VX mount for about a year, during which time I've used it with my C8-Newt and my ES 102 apo. It aligns accurately and quickly even if my polar alignment is so-so. Slews reliably and again, very accurately. Last night I took it and the Newt to a remote sight and spent three happy hours taking the built-in tour. I wish the hand control provided more info on the objects in its database. The ONLY problem I've had is with the backlash adjustment, but that might just be me learning how to use it. I wish it weighed less, but if it did it wouldn't be as sturdy as I need it to be. I would absolutely buy it again.

Edited by exmedia (06/29/13 02:24 PM)

beammeup

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Straight of Gibraltar
Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: exmedia]
      #5946715 - 06/29/13 02:52 PM

I had a Celestron Nexstar 8SE, sold it because the vibrations got on my nerves, I now have a VX 8 edge HD, much, much steadier, no comparison.

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: beammeup]
      #5947107 - 06/29/13 07:54 PM

My VX was delivered last week. It is a more beefy looking than my CG-5. Motors seem more powerful. I have since added a ADM wide saddle and ADM upgraded clutch levers. They really help. No more fumbling for the clutch lerver in the dark. My C8HD with 2" diagonal and 31mm Nagler put the counter weight at the end of the CW shaft. I will have to use one of my extra CG-5 CW weights Once I add the finder and dew shield.

ETXuser

Reged: 03/02/10

Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: beammeup]
      #5950853 - 07/02/13 07:33 AM

Celestron really made a golden oldie with the VX Mount, I have to give Celestron due praise they have made a really good mount in the VX.
Apart from the hand set errors on early retail sales on afew which Celestron dealt with quickly from reading forum posts of VX users who had the error problem.
One thing I would have happily paid an extra £200 pounds on top of the £800 retail price here in UK for the VX mount would have been bearings on the DEC axis.(Maybe on an updated VX mount hint hint Celestron).
Also one minor last gripe a bigger LCD screen on the handset would be nice like the Ioptron handset LCD screens which have a polar align routine which you can see & follow on the handset LCD screen would be a real nice upgrade, maybe Celestron can make an upgrade handset which they can sell separate??

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: ETXuser]
      #5951016 - 07/02/13 10:05 AM

The Celestron hand control already has a polar alignment routine: AllStar.

DeSoto Kid

Reged: 08/24/07

Loc: DeSoto, Texas
      #5951980 - 07/02/13 07:50 PM

The most comfortable scope for imaging is (in my opinion) the dual fork design of the CPC

Jim,

Is this mount available. Can you buy just the mount. I need one for my late 70,s Orange C8.

Wayne R.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: DeSoto Kid]
      #5952551 - 07/03/13 05:40 AM

The dual fork designs are all with the OTA fixed in place.

I don't see why comfort matters for imaging. The camera doesn't need to worry about contortions to get into the right place. A snag with the fork mounts is that the space between the back of the scope and the base of the mount is limited and you can end up not being able to get the camera to high declinations.

Chris

DeSoto Kid

Reged: 08/24/07

Loc: DeSoto, Texas
      #5953688 - 07/03/13 07:37 PM

Professor Emeritus Ierwin

Jim ... I sent you a pm.

Wayne R.

vct123
sage

Reged: 11/17/09

Loc: Staten Island, N.Y.
Re: Celestrons adv vx mount new [Re: DeSoto Kid]
      #5953693 - 07/03/13 07:41 PM

just ordered one adv vx, yay

Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 994

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics