Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
ES100's arrive from EyepiecesEtc.com
      #5945378 - 06/28/13 06:54 PM

My ES100 9mm and 14mm arrived today. Don P. packs these things so they're practically bombproof, and sends them priority mail so I had them in 2 days.

The 14mm has the new box (with sky chart), and a hard plastic field lens cap that falls off. The 9mm is in the old box, with the squishy lens cap which also falls off. I guess I'll contact ES and see if they'll send me new caps.

Anyway, they're beautiful, and I can't wait to try them! Unfortunately, the temperature hit 114* here today (119* in Phoenix), and it looks like the monsoon is getting ready to set in. I'm having my buddy Dinsdale over tomorrow night for observing; I hope the clouds stay away until after that. He's going to try the ES100's in his TV refractor, and I in my Meade SCT. The 20mm was wonderful in the SCT; I have great hopes for the new two!

I can't say enough good things about Don Pensack and his customer service. I needed a slight accomodation, and he had no trouble at all helping me out. He's one of us; and he knows how to avoid all the little things that torque us all off about the CS of many vendors.

This officially erases all the "spare" money I'm likely to have for the forseeable future, though.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: ES100's arrive from EyepiecesEtc.com new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5945659 - 06/28/13 09:47 PM

here here Rick on Don's service! I'm only sad that I have been cut off of buying anything for a few months at least. But I am glad I got to experience first hand the quality of Don's operation. I hope it continues and I know I will be recommending him to everyone I know.

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

#5946057 - 06/29/13 07:32 AM

Quote:

My ES100 9mm and 14mm arrived today.

Congrat ! You will like it. Waiting your comments.

Quote:

the temperature hit 114* here today

Ouch !!! 53° F here !

Edited by Pollux556 (06/29/13 07:37 AM)

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: ES100's arrive from EyepiecesEtc.com new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5946156 - 06/29/13 09:02 AM

Congrats! Looking forward to the 1st light review.

Best,

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: ES100's arrive from EyepiecesEtc.com new [Re: ibase]
      #5946672 - 06/29/13 02:23 PM

Well, first light is supposed to be tonight. It's brutally hot here, plus haze and scattered clouds. I'm not sure how good the review will be; but at least all the EPs will be compared under the same conditions.

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
      #5946808 - 06/29/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

Well, first light is supposed to be tonight. It's brutally hot here, plus haze and scattered clouds. I'm not sure how good the review will be; but at least all the EPs will be compared under the same conditions.

Lots of water, Rick, lots of water. There's a pay raise and a promotion in this for you.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: ES100's arrive from EyepiecesEtc.com new [Re: SteveC]
      #5946824 - 06/29/13 04:01 PM

I bought a couple ES 82's from Don, he is a class act. My first NEW ep's in a long time. Can't beat the price on the ES eyepieces.

Sky conditions seem to be appalling across the country.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: ES100's arrive from EyepiecesEtc.com new [Re: bremms]
      #5946935 - 06/29/13 05:22 PM

Quote:

I bought a couple ES 82's from Don, he is a class act. My first NEW ep's in a long time. Can't beat the price on the ES eyepieces.

Sky conditions seem to be appalling across the country.

Don's a pure gentleman, and highly respected for sure. He's got my vote! Don for Prez!!!! The weather has been really crummy here too.

Cheers,

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: ES100's arrive from EyepiecesEtc.com new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5948808 - 06/30/13 10:24 PM

OK, here's my very sketchy review.

First, the sky was absolutely miserable - hazy, clouds appearing everywhere, we could barely see the Milky Way at the best moments. The only comparing we did was the 14mm ES100 with a 13mm Nagler T6 and a Meade S4000 14mm UWA. The conditions changed so rapidly, it was hard to pin anything down. The only target was Saturn. For some strange reason, Saturn cooperated, and we could see (intermittently) a great deal of detail. My impression was that the Meade UWA was slightly sharper than the ES. The Nagler seemed sharper than either, but it was slightly higher magnification, too (273x vs. 254x), so some things (like the Cassini Division) were slightly plainer. But, the next time we swapped things around, it would all be different; and in general, the sharpness and detail visible was pretty much the same in all three.

So this only tells me that the difference was almost too close to call, meaning the ES is right up there with the best. I expected the Meade to be noticably better, but the difference was far less than I expected.

After that, we blew off any more comparisons, and just observed whatever we could see between clouds, dust, and haze; and just enjoyed the 100* experience. I did notice that the stars at the extreme edge of the FOV were only very, very slightly out of focus.

My buddy did not come away from the experience ready to plunk his money for any ES eyepieces; but then, he's a TeleVue man, and he did enjoy the AFOV. So I'm guessing he'll probably get an Ethos down the road sometime.
Being a planetary guy, my serious EP money went into Brandons; and the ES100's are a great, non-budget-busting way to suck up some serious sky.

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
      #5949238 - 07/01/13 08:25 AM

Rick,

Thanks, happy to see you survived the heat.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: ES100's arrive from EyepiecesEtc.com new [Re: SteveC]
      #5949431 - 07/01/13 10:48 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

Velcome to zee Dark Side Luke.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: ES100's arrive from EyepiecesEtc.com new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5950300 - 07/01/13 08:16 PM

They are extremely well made. Nothing cheesy about these eyepieces.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5951503 - 07/02/13 03:13 PM

Quote:

This officially erases all the "spare" money I'm likely to have for the foreseeable future, though.

Welcome to the home of "Eyepiece Poverty". I was there for many years.
You've graduated upscale, though, and you may find your eyepiece acquisition period is coming to an end.
That is, until you start looking at short focal length eyepieces in 100-110 degrees.
I thought I was done (yeah, right ) until I looked through a 110 degree 4.7mm Ethos at the Moon. Sigh.
Good thing I'm working, 'cause I'm spending my retirement.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. And hope we all get some clear skies without "cook eggs on the sidewalk" temperatures soon.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 762

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics