Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Matthew Ota
Hmmm

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments
      #5948161 - 06/30/13 02:41 PM

Any astronomers waiting on parts from Van Slyke instruments (VSI): Paul's digital machine shop was destroyed in Colorado's Black Forest Fire. It probably cannot be rebuilt, signaling the probable end to one popular manufacturer of astronomical accessories.

Van Slyke Instruments

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: Matthew Ota]
      #5948192 - 06/30/13 03:00 PM

That's a shame. I never dreamed of purchasing any of their exquisite (and expensive) accessories, but I always enjoyed their ads...

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: rmollise]
      #5948217 - 06/30/13 03:16 PM

What a terrible thing to hear of. I too have always admired the products that Paul made. This is a good lesson to those who are lax about attending to their insurance needs. I wish Paul the best and hope he can find a way to get back to doing what he obviously loves to do, even though it may not be at the level he was doing it at before the fire.

don clement
Vendor (Clement Focuser)

Reged: 02/02/11

Loc: Running Springs, California
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: rmollise]
      #5948244 - 06/30/13 03:29 PM

Sorry for your loss Mr. Van Slyke. As one who has been threatened and repeatedly evacuated due to Wildland fires coming as close as across the street, the last fire taking out 160 homes in our small mountain community, I know the feeling of just being threatened with the loss of my home and shop. We also did not know for two weeks if our home and shop had not burned.

Sincerely,
Don Clement

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: don clement]
      #5948299 - 06/30/13 04:15 PM

Quote:

"I will say that VSI's machine shop was very underinsured (a small fraction of it's value) and can not be rebuilt from the ashes. This is my fault for not increasing my coverage over the years as my facility machining capabilities grew."

Should be a lesson there for all of us.. Don't under-insure your property. weather it be for fire, flood, wind, tsunami, acts of nature, etc.. You never know...

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/06/10

Loc: 36N 105W
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5948313 - 06/30/13 04:28 PM

...very sorry to hear this... thanks to the OP. VSI has been a source of many daydreams. I will miss them.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: desertlens]
      #5948384 - 06/30/13 05:21 PM

Quote:

...very sorry to hear this... thanks to the OP. VSI has been a source of many daydreams. I will miss them.

Our astronomy club purchased one of his large Toad Loader focusers four years ago. What a beautiful piece of hardware. This is terrible news!

Bryguy

Reged: 12/12/06

Loc: Frederick, MD
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5948438 - 06/30/13 06:00 PM

I've always dreamt of owning one of VSI's turrets. I hope things work out for Paul and he can at some time rebuild what he has lost. Prayers and thoughts are with you Paul!

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: Bryguy]
      #5949904 - 07/01/13 03:31 PM

I own one of Paul's sliders and have to say the quality is in the Rolls Royce league.

I wish you all the very best Paul.

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5950018 - 07/01/13 04:40 PM

Quote:

Should be a lesson there for all of us.. Don't under-insure your property. weather it be for fire, flood, wind, tsunami, acts of nature, etc.. You never know...

You did not mention earthquake. I suppose you are not ensured then

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: Alph]
      #5950372 - 07/01/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You did not mention earthquake. I suppose you are not ensured then

Quote:

acts of nature, etc

That kind of makes it all inclusive.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: HowardK]
      #5951252 - 07/02/13 12:12 PM

This is very sad in deed. A beautiful shop, equipment and products lost. What a financial nightmare. I hope that he can get things back up and going. I would hate to see us lose another great small astro business.

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: EFT]
      #5951536 - 07/02/13 03:32 PM

That's very sad!

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: Matthew Ota]
      #5951627 - 07/02/13 04:05 PM

Truly sad. When we visited Colorado last year, a forest ranger said that the Pine Beetles had infected more than half of all the trees in Colorado. This is also true for many forests throughout the Rocky Mountain West. One cause is that the winters have not been cold enough. Also, amount of rainfall has dropped, so the trees are not as robust as they should be. The forest ranger said there is no cure, or solution to the problem. He said that you can treat trees to kill the Pine Beetle, but each tree would need several injections. There is no way to treat the vast numbers of trees so infected. You could thin out the forrests by taking out the diseased trees, but again the number of trees is too vast.

He said that the entire Rocky Mountain west is a time bomb, with forest fires continuing to raise havoc.

Truly sad!

Aquatone
sage

Reged: 03/23/06

Loc: California Bay Area
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: GeneT]
      #5951711 - 07/02/13 04:46 PM

Good grief! That is just heart breaking. I own both small and large sliders, various adapters, and also a zerotator that I use constantly. They all have that "hewn out of a solid ingot" heft to them, and are somewhat over-engineered in the best possible way. I only hope Paul can recover from this as he filled an important niche.

Chris

Ron359

Reged: 04/21/08

Loc: -103 +39
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: GeneT]
      #5951814 - 07/02/13 05:58 PM

Quote:

Truly sad. When we visited Colorado last year, a forest ranger said that the Pine Beetles had infected more than half of all the trees in Colorado. This is also true for many forests throughout the Rocky Mountain West. One cause is that the winters have not been cold enough. Also, amount of rainfall has dropped, so the trees are not as robust as they should be. The forest ranger said there is no cure, or solution to the problem. He said that you can treat trees to kill the Pine Beetle, but each tree would need several injections. There is no way to treat the vast numbers of trees so infected. You could thin out the forrests by taking out the diseased trees, but again the number of trees is too vast.

He said that the entire Rocky Mountain west is a time bomb, with forest fires continuing to raise havoc.

Truly sad!

The Black Forest has not been affected by pine beetles and authorities think this was a 'man-made' fire and are still investigating. There are several other big wild-fires burning areas of beetle kill though and the Wyoming WUTS star party has been canceled two years in row now because the Forest Service has been using the site for beetle kill and fire fighting. Haze from wild fire smoke is now a constant pestilence on the skies of the west.

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: Ron359]
      #5953158 - 07/03/13 01:37 PM

Smoke haze from the fires has affected things even here in MN.

Sorry to see such a loss, I don't see recovering from that being under-insured.

Mike in Tampa

Reged: 05/19/13

Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: Mary B]
      #5954442 - 07/04/13 08:24 AM

I had not heard of VSI before this post but after looking at his hex turrets, it looks like the guy is an artist. Very impressive machining. Best wishes for him to make a recovery if that's the direction he wants to go. I can only imagine after such great loss that it may discourage one from wanting to start over from scratch.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: Mike in Tampa]
      #5954785 - 07/04/13 01:38 PM

I am so sorry to hear about this loss.

Over the years I have drooled for a fair number of hours while gazing at VSI's engineering art on their website, in threads around here and in S&T ads ... despite the fact that those turrets and focusers would all dwarf any one of my diminutive refractors.
(I like to daydream about deploying personal-observatory-class telescopes at times)

I can't even imagine how frightening, infuriating and sorrowful such a life-altering forest fire can be ...

contedracula

Reged: 10/11/11

Loc: Queens, NYC and Sarasota FL
Re: Fire @ Van Slyke Instruments new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5964425 - 07/10/13 05:09 PM

I believe the amateurs astronomers can provide support in these situations.

It 's my point of view and I do not say that someone has mandatory to do it , but if we just give Paul a little help with a small donation could be a very noble act

I've sent email him, I hope reads soon

Thanks
Gianluca

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3241

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics