Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: taseng]
      #5918257 - 06/13/13 06:46 AM

Taseng,

I might get some of that for my HFT case, too. Maybe I'll set it up for planet/lunar eyepieces.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5919457 - 06/13/13 07:59 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

Quote:

Seriously, I've bought hex keys and such at HFT, but never anything more sophisticated than that. It would be like buying a household appliance at an Ollie's Bargain Store. Can you say "refurbished?"

Mike

You don't want even to buy hex keys there. Crummy hex keys are a real problem. I got Bondhus. Or is it bondus.

I have an eyepice box where a problem developed with the handle and to my dismay it was no longer sold at Lowes. I was wondering what to do. Then the exact same design, differnt color, showed up at Sears about six months later. So I'm using that. I like this particular box becacause there are four interior corner supports which hold up a board that holds the eyepieces.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #5920368 - 06/14/13 11:00 AM

Nice set of Pentax's you got going there....

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5920387 - 06/14/13 11:15 AM

My Pelican 1550 case (yellow) should be arriving today from B&H. I'll have all weekend to organize and set up the case for my deep sky eyepieces. Well, actually I have until next New Moon - about three weeks - but I want to get a jump start on it. I should be able to fit all the intended eyepieces and even the Paracorr II vertically, which will allow more space for eyepieces or accessories.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5920435 - 06/14/13 11:51 AM

I have the Pelican Storm 2200, and the Pentax 5 and 3.5 were just too tall for the case. It would close, but that put too much downward pressure on them, so I got some new foam ($25 for 2 pieces Pelican branded pluckfoam) and the 3.5, 5, and 7mm are all now nicely laying down for a nap. The others were fine standing up. Just enough room in the case for the 30 - 3.5 XWs with enough room left over for the antique Kellner.

Stargaz18
sage

Reged: 01/04/11

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: ibase]
      #5920463 - 06/14/13 12:04 PM

In my humble opinion HF tools are for emergency ONE time use only. If it doesn't break and you get more uses out of it count yourself as lucky

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: Stargaz18]
      #5920465 - 06/14/13 12:06 PM

I've actually used the HF reciprocating saw quite a bit. Works great trimming tree limbs. Yea, it was cheap, but it works.....

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5920480 - 06/14/13 12:14 PM

Quote:

I have the Pelican Storm 2200, and the Pentax 5 and 3.5 were just too tall for the case. It would close, but that put too much downward pressure on them, so I got some new foam ($25 for 2 pieces Pelican branded pluckfoam) and the 3.5, 5, and 7mm are all now nicely laying down for a nap. The others were fine standing up. Just enough room in the case for the 30 - 3.5 XWs with enough room left over for the antique Kellner.

From what I've seen online, the Storm 2200 is 6" deep inside, while the 1550 is 7.6". Hope that is deep enough so all my XW's and Delos can stand up in the case. It should be. But I should find out later today.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5920493 - 06/14/13 12:23 PM

That should be tall enough, it was only about 1/2 - 3/4 inch too short for them to all be standing upright without the lid being hard to close.

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
      #5920499 - 06/14/13 12:26 PM

Quote:

I've actually used the HF reciprocating saw quite a bit. Works great trimming tree limbs. Yea, it was cheap, but it works.....

Ditto. Just realized I could cut limbs with it the other day. My wife looked over and realized she could use it for some of her garden work. The reciprocating saw is one of the good ones, for $29.99.

I also like the Rotary Hammer, which for $62.99 was cheaper then most of the Hammer Drills I was looking at. Heck, it was cheaper then renting. I drilled 15 8" holes in granite, expecting it to die. It's still going and I'm considering other projects just because I have the tool.

I've joked with my brother that somebody must be losing money on HF tools. My guess is the Chinese factories are just dumping the stuff, but every so often, they put out a good product. You may have to look for a while before finding it, but there are a few of them.

Edited by Footbag (06/14/13 12:29 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case new [Re: Footbag]
      #5920573 - 06/14/13 01:03 PM

I'd love to find a drill attachment to cut out pieces of granite much like doorknob hole drilling attachments. I have a 1.5" thick slab of Granite left over from countertop installation (sink cutout) that I would love to use to make matching "handles" for my kitchen cabinets...

taseng

Reged: 04/27/13

Loc: South Dade
      #5920945 - 06/14/13 05:09 PM

Quote:

I just ordered foam for my new HF case.
http://www.foambymail.com/charcoal-pick-and-pluck-foam.html
The foam that comes in the HF case is cheap and not thick enough. I'm replacing it with 2 layers of 1-1/2" P&P foam with a 1/2" solid bottom layer.

The foam arrived today and it is not the same quality as Pelican p&p foam. It is about the same as the HF foam it's replacing. Next time I will look for something better.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #5921359 - 06/14/13 10:12 PM

There's a reason why Harbor Freight has also been known as "Horrible Freight," and you just found it.

Taras

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5921871 - 06/15/13 09:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I just ordered foam for my new HF case.
http://www.foambymail.com/charcoal-pick-and-pluck-foam.html
The foam that comes in the HF case is cheap and not thick enough. I'm replacing it with 2 layers of 1-1/2" P&P foam with a 1/2" solid bottom layer.

The foam arrived today and it is not the same quality as Pelican p&p foam. It is about the same as the HF foam it's replacing. Next time I will look for something better.

Thanks for trying that foam and letting us know how it is. Sorry it wasn't up to snuff.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5922165 - 06/15/13 12:08 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Here is my new Pelican 1550 case fitted out for deep sky:

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5922166 - 06/15/13 12:09 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Another view of my deep sky collection:

Top row: ES 100 9mm, ES 100 14mm, ES 82 30mm, 1.5x Barlow assembly, 2.28x Baader Barlow, Paracorr II

2nd row from top: Alternate visual back, Radian 3, XW 3.5, Radian 4, Delos 4.5, XW 5

3rd row from top: Delos 6, XW 7, LVW 8, XW 10, Sterling 12.5, Sterling 17, Sterling 20

Bottom row: XW 20, Meade 5000 UWA 24, Sterling 25, Titan-II 40, Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Re: They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5948350 - 06/30/13 05:00 PM

Reviving this thread...

I removed the metal tabs in the top today. Took about twenty minutes tops.

I pulled up the foam lining the edge of the top and it revealed the metal tab was installed with the hinge rivet. A little bending and twisting and I was able to pull the tab off easy peasy.

Now I was faced with a rivet that was no longer mushroomed over the surface is was inserted through. I took a large Phillips head screw driver and put it on top of the rivet and a couple of whacks with a hammer and the Phillips head split the rivet and then a few whacks with the hammer on the rivet and it was now good as new. Note, you need to support the back of the rivet when hitting it with the hammer. I just placed that portion of the top on my workbench with the bottom hanging off in space. Easy peasy.

Just press or glue the side foam back in place.

Turns out if you put the top egg crate foam under the P&P foam, the P&P foam is flush with the edge of the bottom of the case. Now I'm just going to get some 1.5" egg crate foam and it will be done. All that is left is to cut the P&P foam.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1758

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics