Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Meade 2X Telenegative Barlow ? new
      #5947949 - 06/30/13 12:22 PM

Hi all,Last night I was out with both my Celestron 8SE and my Meade 2120 10" f/6.3 premiere on an lx200 mount. Anyway the skies seemed to be clear and I suppose my eyes were not dark adapted because of lights near by. I place tarps up as screening to try to block out the light, yet they were not tall enough. The stars were not twinkling yet views were not that great.
Okay, that said,I have a Meade 2x telenegative barlow that I have had since about 1992 and have liked it in the past. It has always had caps on it so it is not dirty and using it last night on Saturn with a meade 13.8 superwide or other eyepieces 20mm qx70 and others, the views were horrendous. everything was much clearer without the barlow. I don't understand why clarity was so bad when it is quite clean,yes a very little bit of dust yet minimal.
Can a lens or barlow lens go bad or be bad even when it looks okay visually? I would appreciate your advice. Thanks, Tim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: Meade 2X Telenegative Barlow ? new [Re: tim57064]
      #5947952 - 06/30/13 12:25 PM

Moderator I just noticed this should probably be placed in the eyepiece forum,would you please move it there if you can ?Please? Or is it okay here?Thanks

Edited by tim57064 (06/30/13 12:27 PM)

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #5947968 - 06/30/13 12:32 PM

It sounds like the atmosphere above you was not steady enough to support the higher magnifications provided when using the telenegative.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: Meade 2X Telenegative Barlow ? new [Re: star drop]
      #5948058 - 06/30/13 01:24 PM

The stars were not twinking so I assumed atmosphere was steady.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #5948608 - 06/30/13 08:05 PM

Sometimes you can experience what is termed "fast seeing"'; the stars appear to the naked eye to be steady, but in reality a very rapid turbulence will bloat the images of stars and planets, without any pronounced twinkling... nothing will seem to come into sharp focus. Observing underneath the Jet Stream can produce this type of poor seeing.

Fred

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: Meade 2X Telenegative Barlow ? [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5948643 - 06/30/13 08:35 PM

Thanks for the input.I have been building,viewing thru and upgrading scopes since my first 60mm refractor in '90.I find that now in my near mid 50's remembering all that I have learned is becoming more difficult. It is great that a person is able to come here and be reminded of what has slipped an older mind. Although I know a number of individuals older than I that are sharp as a tack and am still learning from them. I appreciate all responses and advice.
I would also like to know what would be a good barlow to upgrade to for $100.00 or less or if it is worth upgrading with only that much in mind. Thanks, Tim

FoxTrot
sage

Reged: 06/01/06

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #5949112 - 07/01/13 04:45 AM

Tim, just out of interest what model Meade barlow was it? 140, 126...?

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Meade 2X Telenegative Barlow ? new [Re: FoxTrot]
      #5949185 - 07/01/13 07:17 AM

Hi Tim, You can upgrade to an explore scientific 2x Barlow for $80. It is a 4 element design similar to a Televue Powermate. I am very picky about barlows and am extremely pleased with this one. It provides very sharp views and cleans up edge performance in eyepieces that can't handle my f/5.7 refractor.

Dave

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 560

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics