Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: JMW]
      #5928304 - 06/18/13 09:35 PM

As for the 2017 total eclipse, I'd definitely be East of the Cascades just North of Madras as Salem and the Willamette valley are famous for morning marine layer clouds even in the middle of summer. Wouldn't that suck if you woke up and found you were going to miss it even though you were under the center line.

Oregon path

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

BTW, when is the last day you can register for the OSP?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Reged: 11/09/04

Loc: Antelope, Oregon
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: JMW]
      #5928332 - 06/18/13 09:57 PM

Quote:

I camped next to the guy with the 40 inch scope. He ground the mirror himself. It was made from plate glass he had fused in a kiln. He had a problem after 3 years of grinding and had to spend a couple of more years refiguring it. It took him 7 years total to the mirror and structure. The whole structure weighs 800 pounds. He was trying to see the Einstein Cross in it one night. I used his very tall ladder for better cellular signal. I spent six nights there and had a great time. It was my first OSP. I plan to be there for the total eclipse in a few more years. This year will be my 6 straight GSSP which is much closer to my home in Reno.

Wow. That's quite a project. I'd love to see that scope for its historical value as well as its optical ability, which I would love to experience. My girlfriend and I have been tossing around the idea of making our own telescope as a fun project to do together (I did a little bit of ATM in my younger years) in the future.

We too are discussing going back fo see the total eclipse as well.

Reno, eh? I used to live in the Nevada City-Downieville, California area before I moved back here in late 2011 (I'm originally from Oregon). I visited Reno fairly often, preferring it to Sacramento for a variety of reasons. Sadly, I never got the opportunity to attend the GSSP. We had a small astronomy club in Nevada City that occasionally had interaction with the Sacramento Valley Astronomers Society, whose annual Star-B-Que at the Blue Canyon Airport I attended.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5928369 - 06/18/13 10:38 PM

Quote:

As for the 2017 total eclipse, I'd definitely be East of the Cascades just North of Madras as Salem and the Willamette valley are famous for morning marine layer clouds even in the middle of summer. Wouldn't that suck if you woke up and found you were going to miss it even though you were under the center line.

Oregon path

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Totally agree with you on this. Fortuntely for me, I live a bit north and east of Madras.

Noticed you're in the Medford area. I'm originally from the Rogue Valley. Grew up and lived in Talent throughout my early life. Graduated from Phoenix High School. Worked as a firefighter and medic in the Rogue Valley (even put in a little time with Mercy Flights back in the 80s). My parents still live up in the hills northwest of Sams Valley way up East Evans Creek. In fact, my girlfriend and I plan on driving down to visit my parents in October. Aside from that, the two must-do stops along the way: 1) Crater Lake and 2) Luigi's Sandwich shop (nothing beats their Garbage Grinder!), neither of which my girlfriend has experienced in the past.

A place I used to love taking my telescope to in southern Oregon is near Freezeout, way up in the hills above and behind Talent. From there, one can take in a stunning view of the valley with Roxy Ann just peaking out above fog layer whenever it'd settle in.

Bill Jensen
sage

Reged: 10/23/04

Loc: Springfield VA
      #5936797 - 06/23/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

Early registration is available until July 12, but you can arrive at OSP and register onsite, it is just a bit cheaper to do it early.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Bill Jensen]
      #5936946 - 06/23/13 06:52 PM

mtnmedic, R&D sandwich shop is even better than Luigi's IMO.

I'm planning on several solo star parties up at Howard Prairie this summer during the week when I'm off. Camping should be good into early October until the rain starts back up again.

Hoping to get out to OSP this summer, but if not I'll try for Brother's in early September.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5943942 - 06/27/13 10:41 PM

I'm camping light and simple using a small tent, a few tarps, fold up camping chairs/table, and my Saturn sedan to lock up my optics when I'm moving around checking out the premium scopes and programs. Where is the best area to pitch my tent near my car? I'd like to set up the scope in my camp area. I'm not planning on cooking, but just eating canned foods to conserve water. (no dish washing)

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5943957 - 06/27/13 10:51 PM

Quote:

I'm planning on several solo star parties up at Howard Prairie this summer during the week when I'm off. Camping should be good into early October until the rain starts back up again.

Hoping to get out to OSP this summer, but if not I'll try for Brother's in early September.

R&D better than Luigi's? Hmmm...gotta try that. Would be interesting. I've always held that Luigi's is the best I'm a BIG fan of their Garbage Grinderj with pepperoncini, jalapeños, grilled onions, etc. Anyway, will look up R&D. Do they have the one location or do they have more? We plan on visiting my mother, who lives in upper East Evans Ck. up past Antioch Rd, this October.

Brothers...as in Brothers, OR...outside of Bend? If so, I wasn't even aware of that. Details?

We are definitelly planning on going to the OSP.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5943970 - 06/27/13 11:04 PM

Quote:

I'm camping light and simple using a small tent, a few tarps, fold up camping chairs/table, and my Saturn sedan to lock up my optics when I'm moving around checking out the premium scopes and programs. Where is the best area to pitch my tent near my car? I'd like to set up the scope in my camp area. I'm not planning on cooking, but just eating canned foods to conserve water. (no dish washing)

We're hoping that we can learn more about the same kind of spot....set up my scope near the car...as we've never been there before. We're bringing freeze dried meals, as we'll have a way to boil water, and eat out of the pouches. Maybe a few cannned goods, too.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #5944086 - 06/28/13 12:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

R&D better than Luigi's? Hmmm...gotta try that. Would be interesting. I've always held that Luigi's is the best I'm a BIG fan of their Garbage Grinderj with pepperoncini, jalapeños, grilled onions, etc. Anyway, will look up R&D. Do they have the one location or do they have more? We plan on visiting my mother, who lives in upper East Evans Ck. up past Antioch Rd, this October.

Brothers...as in Brothers, OR...outside of Bend? If so, I wasn't even aware of that. Details?

We are definitelly planning on going to the OSP.

R&D is on N. Riverside next door to the OK market and Advantage Appliance store.

I almost bought 8 acres up in that neck of the woods for $11k. I still kick myself for not jumping on it. Now I'm stuck in a West Medford barrio watching everyone else's property values going back up while mine keep falling with every nearby drug bust, stabbings and drive by shootings.

Yeah it's near Brothers, Oregon East of Bend. The original site up on Mt Bachelor was kinda dicey at best. This new site is supposed to be pretty good.
Brothers Star Party
The registration page isn't up yet.

Looks like you save $20 on early registration at OSP. That would pay for a couple of showers or hot meals.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
      #5947411 - 06/30/13 12:52 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Quote:

Why used canned? It just creates garbage. The cold food route is how I roll at star parties but I do a bit more cooking prep. I roast a chicken and some other small portion of meat then debone them and pack in the cooler. Add to that veggies, cheese and bread then I'm ready to go. I substitute energy drinks for coffee. Nothing to heat and nothing to wash. I just wipe things down with a wet paper towel.

My eating table has looked like this for the last couple of years. As might be noticed I even setup my sleeping roll in the back of the old Sonoma.

I've sold that old truck and now have a brand spankin' new Forester so the table will look different this year.

Bill

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5947753 - 06/30/13 09:39 AM

I'm going with canned so I don't have to think about refrigeration. Those 5 day ice chests eventually melt the ice. I will keep some beer in the ice chest along with milk and caffeinated chilled beverages, but I'll mostly drink just ice water to maintain hydration.

Set the cans up on the dashboard and you'll have a hot meal while the sun shines. It will be warm even if it's a cloudy day.

Maybe next year I'll have fancier camping equipment like a pickup truck canopy or camper. Right now I have a '98 Saturn SL.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #5948212 - 06/30/13 03:12 PM

Steve, in answer to your question on good locations for tent camping, look at the site map, here.

I prefer camping along the north tree line, roughly sections I/3 to O/3. Good sites can also be found in the woods in the NE sectors.

There are a couple of disadvantages to these areas. It's somewhat lower ground, so the southern view isn't as generous as in the main scope field and the imaging areas; however, I find the horizons quite adequate. Another disadvantage is that you'll want to set up for viewing a bit away from your camp, maybe 25 - 75 yd., depending. Also, it's a bit of a walk up to the main "concourse" where vendors, showers and programs are found.

OTOH, a guy can obtain shade in woods during the day and from the trees in the late afternoon and there is considerably less dust. And you won't be cheek-by-jowl with your neighbor. To me, these advantages rule. YMMV.

Sadly, it looks as though I probably won't be making it this year.

Mr. AH
journeyman

Reged: 02/20/13

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 [Re: Spaced]
      #5948744 - 06/30/13 09:44 PM

We would like to remind all of you that registration for the Oregon Star Party (August 6 to August 11) is now open. Whether you’re a first-timer or a grizzled veteran, there is plenty to do and experience at this year’s star party. In attempt to bring clarity to the happenings the Oregon Star Party Committee is experimenting by publishing a newsletter (see link below). We hope that this newsletter will help you in planning your trip to Indian Trail Springs by providing you information on the various activities, services and events that will take place. A second goal of the newsletter is to provide news that may affect the star party. Finally, the newsletter will present information that hopefully will further your understanding of astronomy.

Hope you enjoy,

The Oregon Star Party Committee

Newsletter

P.S. The Dropbox viewer has a few glitches so you may have to download the filed.

bbbriggs

Reged: 04/10/09

Loc: Graham WA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: Mr. AH]
      #5982299 - 07/21/13 01:15 AM

The date seems to be zooming up on me. I am coming early so I only have about 13 days, I will be leaving the Seattle area on August 3. The scope needs a drive mounted to it, and I need to get started. Unpacked a few things from the last trip, got a new lawn chair and a new tent cot. I have gotten totally spoiled so I am making a pick up from Famous Daves BBQ on the way up.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: bbbriggs]
      #5987808 - 07/24/13 12:47 PM

Just curious...are there any cooking restrictions? For example, using a small propane burner you attach to the top of a small propane bottle or a small Coleman stove, etc.?

The big thing we want to do is heat the water for hot drinks and freeze-dried meals. I thought perhaps just finding some kind of container and setting it atop the car or somewhere in the sun all day ought to do it.

Thoughts?

hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #5988031 - 07/24/13 04:00 PM

Quote:

Just curious...are there any cooking restrictions? For example, using a small propane burner you attach to the top of a small propane bottle or a small Coleman stove, etc.?

The big thing we want to do is heat the water for hot drinks and freeze-dried meals. I thought perhaps just finding some kind of container and setting it atop the car or somewhere in the sun all day ought to do it.

Thoughts?

That should be no problem, here's info from the OSP website (http://www.oregonstarparty.org/oregonstarparty/AtOSP/ForestService.aspx):

- No open fires are allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Charcoal Briquettes are not allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Only propane or white gas stoves are permitted as long as they are off the ground and not a danger to the surrounding area.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: hbanich]
      #5988197 - 07/24/13 05:47 PM

Too broke to travel to OSP this year. Went to the Oregon Country Fair instead. Brother's Star party is going to be my fall back position as I still have the time to scratch up the funds for that one. Maybe next year...

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#5988403 - 07/24/13 08:12 PM

Quote:

Too broke to travel to OSP this year. Went to the Oregon Country Fair instead. Brother's Star party is going to be my fall back position as I still have the time to scratch up the funds for that one. Maybe next year...

That's a bummer. We were looking forward to meeting you.

Brothers Star Party looks interesting and may be something we also check out next year as well. I've been through that area numerous times on my travels between Burns and Bend several years ago. I always thought it might make a nice area to pull over and do a little observing one night.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 new [Re: hbanich]
      #5988411 - 07/24/13 08:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thoughts?

That should be no problem, here's info from the OSP website (http://www.oregonstarparty.org/oregonstarparty/AtOSP/ForestService.aspx):

- No open fires are allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Charcoal Briquettes are not allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Only propane or white gas stoves are permitted as long as they are off the ground and not a danger to the surrounding area.

Okay, that's what I thought. I remember reading those guidelines at the OSP website. I just wasn't sure if there was anything else I hadn't learned about.

So, that would also rule out canned sterno gel fuel heaters used in a sterno cook "stove" (it's a folding metal contraption that houses the sterno can that you set the cooking utensil atop of)? I ask because I always keep a couple of cans for heating/cooking in a pinch in my camping kit.

Also just thinking of simply getting some water in a container and setting in or on top of the car or some other sun-exposed location to heat it up so we can use it later instead of having to find some way to boil it later on. Maybe someone will have tips on doing something like this.

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Re: Oregon Star Party 2013 [Re: mtnmedic]
      #5988791 - 07/25/13 12:21 AM

I am virtually certain that stereo would be out... Especially considering the elevating fire risk. OSP has always been pretty strict about tat sort of stuff to conform to USFS rules.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3767

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics