Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
asaint
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/25/03

Owl Eyes 2.3x40 Binoculars new
      #2422116 - 05/27/08 09:22 AM

Owl Eyes 2.3 x 40

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ZachK
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/21/05

Loc: Israel
Re: Owl Eyes 2.3x40 Binoculars new [Re: asaint]
      #2422166 - 05/27/08 09:55 AM

Sounds like the kind of thing one might wish to wear as a pair of glasses or the like.

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Reged: 02/15/02

Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W
Re: Owl Eyes 2.3x40 Binoculars new [Re: ZachK]
      #2422211 - 05/27/08 10:23 AM

Quote:

They provide extremely low power, wide field views and a huge 17mm exit pupil. I had the binoculars out last summer and noted that I could fit the entire Teapot of Sagittarius within the field of view. In contrast to the 28-degree field listed on the binocular's rear bezel, I estimate that the binoculars provide about a 17-degree field.

Interesting comment about the actual Tfov, would indicate the Afov of these eyepieces is much closer to 40 than the stated 64, similar to what I have seen in some very inexpensive children's binoculars.

Due to human eye pupil limitations that max out at about 7mm, the 17mm exit pupil can never be fully utilized by the human eye for all the light it delviers. While you'll get that large filed of view experience, the most aperture you ever get to use out of this binocular is about 16mm, or perhaps 18mm if you have eye pupils that open to 8mm.

edz

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: Owl Eyes 2.3x40 Binoculars new [Re: EdZ]
      #2422680 - 05/27/08 02:03 PM

The identical pair I have give a true field of approximately 23, not as wide as advertised but also much wider than the author's experience. Maybe I have the eye lenses closer to my eyes. Other than this the author's experiences seem identical to mine.

I have compared my Russian binos with the newer version from Blue Planet Optics. This latest iteration has better coatings, improved baffling and more contrast. Not a huge difference but enough to tell.

The idea of a wrist strap is good. I will add one to mine. Thanks!

ph2
sage

Reged: 11/28/05

Loc: Aalborg, Denmark
Re: Owl Eyes 2.3x40 Binoculars new [Re: asaint]
      #2422747 - 05/27/08 02:35 PM

I have a 2.3x40 binocular purchased last year. It is not made in the 1990s, but part of a new batch made for Kasai Trading in Japan. The specifications are probable similar to the older model reviewed here.

In my binocular, I can see Vega and Deneb in the same field of view without too much effort. They are separated by 23.85 degrees in the sky and that is a lot wider than only 17-degrees.

The sharpness of the stars across the field of view center-to-edge in my 2.3x40 is comparable to the view in my Nikon Action 10x50 and 7x35 binoculars. That is IMHO an acceptable quality for a $130 price-tag.

In the 2.3x40, I can see stars down to magnitude 7, when the naked eye limiting magnitude is about 5 - a gain closer to 2 than 1 magnitude. When focused, the stars do actually appear sharper in the 2.3x40 than the naked eye view (Hmm, I think I need glasses).

Im quite satisfied with the performance of this little binocular.

dougspeterson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/01/04

Loc: SANTA ANA, CA
      #2425238 - 05/28/08 05:44 PM

Quote:

Sounds like the kind of thing one might wish to wear as a pair of glasses or the like.

Check out Beecher Mirage Glasses on the web, or ebay used. I have an old pair, only one side good unfortunately due to coating loss. They have this weird, dual field characteristic where the magnified field appears inside your peripheral vision. I am suprised more astro-people do not check these out. Watch out, there are cheapo magnifying eyeglass wannabes that are no good.

Edited by dougspeterson (05/28/08 05:46 PM)

Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Oort Cloud 9
Re: Owl Eyes 2.3x40 Binoculars new [Re: dougspeterson]
      #2425622 - 05/28/08 09:26 PM

I've been curious about these oddball widefield binoculars for some time now.

Hats off to Aaron on the review.

Doug - it's funny you mention the Beecher Mirage "glasses". I have bid on two pairs of those on eBay over the last couple of years, and I always get outbid. I did some reading up on them a while back, and it appears that they (and glasses like them) were designed for people with vision problems - there was even a website with an article discussing the do's and don'ts of DRIVING while wearing glasses such as these! (For the record - don't!)

If I ever run across the right deal on one, I'll pick it up.

Aaron McNeely

Reged: 08/13/04

Loc: New Carlisle, Indiana
      #2432321 - 05/31/08 09:47 PM

Kasai Trading in Japan sells these type of binoculars:

http://www.kasai-trading.jp/widebino28.htm

They also offer a goggle assembly in which you can insert a pair of 2.3x40 binos. I had considered mentioning this in my article but didn't. This might be a fun item to have.

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Owl Eyes 2.3x40 Binoculars new [Re: Aaron McNeely]
      #2479167 - 06/23/08 11:32 PM

In order to get my eyes closer to the eye lenses, which is all-important for getting the maximum field out of a Galilean optical system, I un-screwed the rear eyepiece disks (those with the holes you look through). Now I get close to the stated field of view of 28 degrees (but it does require getting my corneas rather close to the lenses.)

Also, I used flat black paint to cover the ground glass edges of the eye lenses so as to greatly reduce scattered light getting into my eyes.

JKoelman
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/16/11

Loc: Bangalore, India
Re: Owl Eyes 2.3x40 Binoculars [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5949563 - 07/01/13 12:22 PM

A international team of researchers have created a folded Galilean design yielding an ultra flat optical train (physical length 1.17 mm), thereby reducing a binocular to a pair of contact lenses. And yes, this contact lens binocular is switchable between 1x and 2.8x power. Unfortunately, the light gathering power is fairly limited... (And I guess it will take a while before you can get these taylor-made for your eyes..)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4129

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics