Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
wbb
Vendor (Sirius Astro Products)

Reged: 07/12/11

Pier Tech pier question new
      #5944550 - 06/28/13 10:34 AM

Has anyone used the new and improved Pier Tech 2 mount for imaging? I want to mount my CPC1100 fork mount SCT and wedge on a PT2, for a total of about 110 lbs., and was wondering about stability, repeatability, flexure, etc for imaging.
Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bretm

Reged: 12/27/09

Re: Pier Tech pier question new [Re: wbb]
      #5947944 - 06/30/13 12:20 PM

I have one with a CPC-800 + wedge + piggyback guide scope, and not counting some delays in actually getting it, I've been very satisfied with it. It is very well build (it should be :-), and works well.

I have never measured the Polar alignment error is causes, because it isn't enough to cause me problems shooting at f/2 with hyperstar.

Bret

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Pier Tech pier question new [Re: bretm]
      #5948306 - 06/30/13 04:22 PM

Since this site is totally about personal opinion, hearsay and innuendo's, (Math facts are even second guessed) i guess i will give my 2 cents.

I used a newer PT2 with my cge-pro, in a side by side setup with an HD11, and NP127is. 4 22-lb counterweights. Never appeared to have an issue.

I also have a single column PT3. These were known to have flex issues near the base on some PT3's. (See AP yahoo group) This is why Vito (pier-tech) went with a dual column. I will be using this single column PT3 with my AP1600.

Pier-tech piers are simple moving columns (google search). I won't get into the cost difference between the two (pier-tech or google. You can even get them on ebay) but I have found pier-tech's customer service to be one of the worst in the astronomy community.

eastwd

Reged: 08/21/11

Loc: Nashville
Re: Pier Tech pier question new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5948392 - 06/30/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

. . . I have found pier-tech's customer service to be one of the worst in the astronomy community.

Yep. I'm still waiting for completion of an order for a 2 column Pier-Tech 3 that I placed in August 2012. My order included a PT3 with mounting plate, a bracket to mount the electronics to the pier, and the automated hardware and software for remote operation. My credit card was charged (overcharged, actually) for the full amount of the purchase at the time, and I was led to believe everything would ship within 6 to 8 weeks. The PT3 arrived in November, but the mounting plate that's needed to connect the PT3 to a concrete pier was accidentally left out of the box, and I had to wait several more weeks and hound Vito to send that to me separately. What's worse is I'm still waiting to receive the remote operation hardware and software, the bracket for mounting the electronics box to the pier (it's currently just lying on the floor next to the pier), and a refund on the overcharge. After much follow-up hounding by me, Vito now says the remaining items will ship this month. To the OP: if you go this route, in my experience, the Pier-Tech adjustable piers are stable and stiff, and vibrations damp out quickly. But order yours well before you expect you'll need it, try to pin them down on firm shipping dates, insist on an itemized order confirmation or other sales receipt (I've still never received one), expect shipping and communication delays and indifferent customer service, be sure to watch your credit card bill like a hawk to make sure you don't get overcharged, and be prepared to hound the owner until everything finally arrives. Wish me luck, and I'll wish you the same.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: Pier Tech pier question new [Re: eastwd]
      #5948586 - 06/30/13 07:53 PM

I would also add to make sure your CC is not charged until the item ships to you. Or a deposit is taken. Like every other vendor out there.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #5948943 - 07/01/13 12:26 AM

Is there any product out there that provides similar functionality? i.e. a pier that can be raised but not made by Pier Tech

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: Pier Tech pier question new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5949073 - 07/01/13 03:28 AM

Lifting Column

Look familiar?

I don't think you can buy direct from them but they always come up on ebay with the actuator and electronics.

wbb
Vendor (Sirius Astro Products)

Reged: 07/12/11

#5949375 - 07/01/13 10:08 AM

Good info Dave, I might have to check into the other lifting columns. But in the mean time it sounds like your new revised PT2 doesn't appear to have any flexure issues? And re-peatability for polar alignment was good for your imaging set up, since it looks like you had a lot of weight mounted on it.
Bill

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: Pier Tech pier question [Re: wbb]
      #5949781 - 07/01/13 02:20 PM

It did not appear to have flexure issues.

I was perm mounted so once I set the PA, that was it. I still guided though.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 483

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics