Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
New Celestron OAG is shipping.
      #5950153 - 07/01/13 06:39 PM

The new Celestron OAG is now shipping. Mine should ship out today or tomorrow from OPT. With any luck I'll get it before the weekend and maybe get some clear skies as well.

Just in case anyone else wants this new OAG, OPT has plenty more in stock.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: New Celestron OAG is shipping. new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5950563 - 07/01/13 11:27 PM

Getting serious about this imaging stuff, Zach?

David

MikeCMP

Reged: 07/12/11

Loc: Chardon OH
Re: New Celestron OAG is shipping. new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5950574 - 07/01/13 11:35 PM

That looks like a nice OAG for the price. Keep us posted n how this works out, this is on my list of toys for one day...

Mike

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: New Celestron OAG is shipping. new [Re: MikeCMP]
      #5950591 - 07/01/13 11:50 PM

David- I guess so. I want to be able to get 3-4 minute
guided subs. Right now I get 60-90s max at 2032mm. Next on my list is new guiding camera. Then maybe a modified DSLR or CDD. Of course if I go the CCD route I'll get hyperstar as well. Astrophotography is a sickness.

Mike- Will do. Though the forecast for the next ten days is rain everyday. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test before to long.

MikeCMP

Reged: 07/12/11

Loc: Chardon OH
      #5950876 - 07/02/13 08:17 AM

Now I know why your forecast is the same is mine, you're in Ohio too

Good luck with your imaging. The part that took me the longest was figuring out how to frame and focus everything. Do you use a guide scope now? Have you used a OAG before? And what guide camera are you going to use?

I'm curious as to whether celestrons included adapters will let you reach focus with the guide cam and your imaging cam at the same time. Seems promising looking at the list of included adapters.

Mike

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: New Celestron OAG is shipping. new [Re: MikeCMP]
      #5950965 - 07/02/13 09:25 AM

Mike- Yeah sorry about bringing all the clouds to Ohio. Usually when I buy something it's clear out, but doesn't look that way this time.

Yeah it took me awhile to understand the framing and focus part, but luckily BYEOS makes this much easier. I don't use any guide scope when imaging with my Edge 8. Because of that I've been limited to really short exposures. When imaging with my TMB I use a guide scope and have had really good results with it.

This will be my first experience using an OAG, so I'm not sure what to expect. I use a SSAG, but I've heard it's not sensitive enough to use with an OAG. Hopefully that is not the case, because a new autoguider is not the budget right now.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #5951702 - 07/02/13 04:38 PM

This time of year if it t'ain't the clouds it's the skeeters.

Congrats on the new OAG! Mine (Orion, not Celestron) worked like a charm on my 8" and 10" SCTs.

Get ready for the skies to clear... I'm going to send my camera out for modding and I'm sure the skies will be pristine while its gone!

(Shhh, I'm hiding a second camera under my scope...)

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: New Celestron OAG is shipping. new [Re: jgraham]
      #5951825 - 07/02/13 06:05 PM

Yeah clear summer nights in Ohio are hard to come by. The skeeters are really bad this year. Time to buy some thermacell.

Thanks! I'm hoping it works well with my SSAG. If it doesn't, well I guess I'll have to find something else. Haha. Of course the skies will clear as soon as your camera gets sent out. Then that will give me
Enough time to try out my OAG.

end
sage

Reged: 08/31/11

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
      #5952199 - 07/02/13 10:32 PM

That's good news! I ordered mine from Adorama about two months ago, but haven't heard from them yet. Hopefully soon! I had about given up on this... I really hope this turns out to be a winner!

Edited by end (07/02/13 10:38 PM)

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: New Celestron OAG is shipping. new [Re: end]
      #5952305 - 07/02/13 11:42 PM

It is indeed good news. . I'd give Adorama a call and see if they have it stock now. I figure it's a good chance they do. I'm hoping it turns out to be a winner also. Celestron has a winner in the Edge ota's. So hopefully this one will be as well.

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
      #5952660 - 07/03/13 08:14 AM

I know many are excited about the OAG, but why? I'm in the market, and not sure what makes one great? I know sturdy is a factor as well as thickness. I was looking at the TS9 or the Olivian? copy.

end
sage

Re: New Celestron OAG is shipping. new [Re: Wmacky]
      #5952717 - 07/03/13 08:56 AM

For myself, all I can say is that I'm hoping it is great. Obviously I haven't tried it and there aren't any reviews available. It is a leap of faith.

The reasons I'm hoping this is good for me is that I really don't want to deal with trying to optimize the back focus distance on my 11" EdgeHD scope. My impression is that this one comes with the proper adapters and what not to make the distance to camera sensor appropriate for my system. Clearly there are other ways of making this work, but I'd like a system to work "out of the box".

I'm going to be away from my telescope until early August, but I'll be focusing all my attention on getting this to work when I return.

I would imagine that by the end of August there will be several reports here that will let people know if this is a good OAG setup or not without much leaping involved.

zjc26138
Loved By All

#5952801 - 07/03/13 09:55 AM

Quote:

I know many are excited about the OAG, but why? I'm in the market, and not sure what makes one great? I know sturdy is a factor as well as thickness. I was looking at the TS9 or the Olivian? copy.

I choose it because it looks to be matched to the Edge line of scopes and its price did not break the bank.

freestar8n
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/12/07

#5953161 - 07/03/13 01:43 PM

I have used a number of different OAG's - and a good one does make a difference. Main things to look for are: It should be thin so it doesn't take up too much backfocus, but it should still have a decent sized mirror/prism and a wide path to the guide chip so it can receive a wide cone of light. The prism height should be adjustable easily. There should be good rotation on each side of the OAG to set the guide angle and the image angle. It should be easy to install degree indicators to set the oag angle ahead of time. The rotation should be smooth and lockable. You shouldn't need to pay extra for 7 weird couplings to make it work with your system. The focuser should be smooth and - ideally - helical while not taking up too much space on the guider side. Being able to set the pickoff angle is desirable but adds complexity. And it should be rigid.

So I think a good one makes a difference - and some of them really do cost a lot. I haven't tried this one.

Frank

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5953271 - 07/03/13 02:39 PM

You will post pictures and give a first light report.

David

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: New Celestron OAG is shipping. new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5954123 - 07/04/13 12:40 AM

Frank- I've never dealt with OAG's before so I'm sure I'll be reading the manual several times to figure everything out. Also I'll probably be asking a ton of questions here on CN. The Celestron seemed to be a good price for whats being offered. Hopefully it works well.

David- Of course of course! Though everyday for the next ten days has 40-50% chance of rain forecasted. It's supposed to arrive Tuesday. I'm hoping I'll get some clear skies later in the week to test it out.

end
sage

#5956342 - 07/05/13 04:28 PM

I just got notification from Adorama that my OAG is shipping too. It will arrive at my place just as I leave town for three weeks. Typical. At least no one here needs to worry about clouds due to my purchases...

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: New Celestron OAG is shipping. new [Re: end]
      #5956868 - 07/05/13 10:58 PM

Hopefully it will be clear when you return to town. Mine is still supposed to arrive Tuesday. And hopefully first light the following weekend.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: New Celestron OAG Arrived! new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5963245 - 07/09/13 11:37 PM

My OAG arrived today. It looks and feels like a nice solid piece of equipment. I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow. I'm hoping to test it out Thursday during the day. I'm thinking Thursday or Saturday night for first light.

end
sage

Re: New Celestron OAG Arrived! new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5963708 - 07/10/13 09:32 AM

That's great! Mine is actually supposed to arrive today (two days ahead of schedule) so I might actually be able to do a quick first light with it tonight if everything else cooperates perfectly.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4429

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics