Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lee.S

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: New Mexico USA
Re: My New WellsCargo 4x6 Trailer new [Re: jboege]
      #5953457 - 07/03/13 04:53 PM

Oh yea! I like that trailer.The trailer I use is a Pace Work Sport in case I need take a nap.That trailer looks real convenient.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: My New WellsCargo 4x6 Trailer new [Re: jboege]
      #5953462 - 07/03/13 04:55 PM

I don't know if it was a special order. I simply asked if the ramp door was available and the dealer said yes. I was prepared to have a swing door and use my metal ramps (cut down about 6" to fit in the trailer) but when the answer was yes I went with the ramp. There was no extra charge.

Dave

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
Re: My New WellsCargo 4x6 Trailer new [Re: Cotts]
      #5954494 - 07/04/13 09:11 AM

I'm waiting for this baby. Hope to receive it within 2 weeks time max.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: My New WellsCargo 4x6 Trailer new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5954538 - 07/04/13 10:00 AM

Quote:

At 6'6" (198cm) I'm quite sure I wouldn't fit in the trailer or the car!

Dave

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
      #5954580 - 07/04/13 10:39 AM

Nice setup Dave.

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
      #5954587 - 07/04/13 10:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

At 6'6" (198cm) I'm quite sure I wouldn't fit in the trailer or the car!

Dave

Procrustes can easily take care of that problem

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5954629 - 07/04/13 11:31 AM

I like it, David. I wonder, though, if it would be possible to mount the spare on the exterior of the trailer, with a cover for UV protection? It would free up some interior space and cut down on outgassing from the tread material. I once made the mistake of putting a full-sized spare inside the cargo bay of my Subaru for a long, off-road trip, and the fumes released by the tread compound were extreme and palpable for a few days. Eventually it stank less.

Another suggestion would be to cover the trailer's interior with Reflectix insulating barrier, to insulate it from summer time heat while traveling. I have a similar project today. I purchased an inexpensive tri-folding tonneau cover for a new pickup truck, and have some rolls of adhesive backed, aluminized bubble-centered insulating material for ducting that I plan on applying to the underside of each of the three panels to help reduce heat in the bed during travel in hit weather (in an effort to make ice last longer in coolers stored back there and also to reduce the temperature extremes on refractor optics if placed in the bed. It would be better on the *exterior* surfaces of the three panels, but I think it would not weather very well and also might distract and annoy other motorists.

I know you're a tall fellow. But for me, a 4'x 6' could also double as a tent. I could easily sleep inside such a trailer, perhaps rigging some form of mesh "curtain" to leave the ramp open and provide privacy and keep out bugs and critters.

How hard would it be to immobilize the trailer and leave it at a campground while going of to explore in the tow vehicle? Could you lock the wheels in some manner?

Looks like a very good deal all things considered. I see them for ~$2500 at several RV dealerships in this area. Was your ramp door custom? The standard door for that model looks like a side-swinger. The ramp is a must, IMO. I'd like one in beige/tan with a silver canopy. I wonder if *two* 15" to 18" Dobs would fit inside at the same time? I'd love to see your 16-incher in the trailer for reference if you get a chance.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (07/05/13 01:36 PM)

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: My New WellsCargo 4x6 Trailer new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5959006 - 07/07/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

I like it, David. I wonder, though, if it would be possible to mount the spare on the exterior of the trailer, with a cover for UV protection? It would free up some interior space and cut down on outgassing from the tread material. I once made the mistake of putting a full-sized spare inside the cargo bay of my Subaru for a long, off-road trip, and the fumes released by the tread compound were extreme and palpable for a few days. Eventually it stank less.

I did not notice any smell this weekend when I took it on a 400km 'shakedown cruise'. I have the spare strapped to the inside.

Another suggestion would be to cover the trailer's interior with Reflectix insulating barrier, to insulate it from summer time heat while traveling. I have a similar project today. I am unfamiliar with this product. I left a thermometer in the trailer for the drive out on Friday and, with outside temperatures around 27C the inside got to 30C which isn't very hot. I'm going to look into air vents from the boating indistry to provise ventilation (but not free rinses) on long trips to warm climes in Florida, Oklahoma and Texas).

I purchased an inexpensive tri-folding tonneau cover for a new pickup truck, and have some rolls of adhesive backed, aluminized bubble-centered insulating material for ducting that I plan on applying to the underside of each of the three panels to help reduce heat in the bed during travel in hit weather (in an effort to make ice last longer in coolers stored back there and also to reduce the temperature extremes on refractor optics if placed in the bed. It would be better on the *exterior* surfaces of the three panels, but I think it would not weather very well and also might distract and annoy other motorists.

I know you're a tall fellow. But for me, a 4'x 6' could also double as a tent. I could easily sleep inside such a trailer, perhaps rigging some form of mesh "curtain" to leave the ramp open and provide privacy and keep out bugs and critters. Would the inside height of only 2'6" be a problem for you?

How hard would it be to immobilize the trailer and leave it at a campground while going of to explore in the tow vehicle? Could you lock the wheels in some manner? I have a lock which 'fills' or 'occupies' the ball hitch so that for someone to steal the trailer they would have to lift it bodily onto another trailer. Since I will only be using the trailer for astro events with controlled access the lock I have should be enough.

Looks like a very good deal all things considered. I see them for ~$2500 at several RV dealerships in this area. Was your ramp door custom? No, but I had to ask for it. No extra charge.... The standard door for that model looks like a side-swinger. The ramp is a must, IMO. I'd like one in beige/tan with a silver canopy. I wonder if *two* 15" to 18" Dobs would fit inside at the same time? I'm quite sure I could fit a second Teeter 16" in there with some clever storage of the wheelbarrow handles. Both UTA's would have to go in the car though....*(see next post for a caveat) I'd love to see your 16-incher in the trailer for reference if you get a chance. I did post a pic upthread which might help....

Regards,

Jim

Back atcha,
Dave

Cotts
Just Wondering

#5959023 - 07/07/13 02:18 PM

On "Trailer bounce" and loosening bolts..

The trailer is very susceptible to bumps in the road which seem minor in the car but cause the trailer, loaded with about 250 pounds of astro gear, to bounce around significantly. This and other minor vibration caused the nuts holding the secondary mirror on my 16" Dob to come loose, as did the collimating screws. When I set up for observing in mid dusk last night I was faced with a complete collimation including centering the mirror and totally re-setting the secondary. It quickly became too dark to see properly and I was unable to collimate the scope. Saving Grace: It clouded over anyway...

For my next use of the trailer. The primary mirror will travel in the car in its box from now on. the bouncing caused no damage but I don't want to take any chances. Also, the UTA will travel in the car to eliminate the 'loose bolts' problem. The cases and other stuff I had in the back seat will fit in the trailer with plenty of room. **The trailer, despite being very small has a volume of 60 cu. ft and, with clever packing would hold my dob and my 8" Mak and the AP mount if I ever decided to take both somewhere....

I'm learning about the trailer..... I have no reason to complain at this point.

Dave

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
      #5959136 - 07/07/13 03:18 PM

I have wondered about some kind of frame work where the most delicate items lay on a series of bungy cords attached to the frame and then more bungy cords are used to secure it? Something to absorb the shocks.

I haven't seen anything like this but I cannot fit my current set up in my vehicle and have been trying to figure out a way to transport a large APO in a trailer with minimal vibrations to the OTA.

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5959563 - 07/07/13 08:38 PM

Dave,

How about lining the floor with about 2" of high density foam to help absorb vibrations. Of course, you wouldn't be able to slide anything in or out. Maybe just a square cut to size under the mirror box and the UTA. Should work.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: My New WellsCargo 4x6 Trailer new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5959753 - 07/07/13 10:40 PM

Jim, the easiest solution to me is to only have things in the trailer that are not susceptible to vibration. So the Mirror box without mirror, the poles, eyepiece case, s tarps, tents, electrical stuff, clothing, camera case etc. In the car would be the mirror in its box, the UTA.

Dave

Cotts
Just Wondering

#5959779 - 07/07/13 10:50 PM

Quote:

highertheflyer: I have every intention of comparing the gas mileage before and after. My last long trip was to the TSP where the car averaged 8.9 litres/100km (26.4 mpg US, 31.7mpgCDN). The car was loaded to the maximum with all the usual astro gear. On a trip to Bristol Tenn in March with only two people I got 8.1 litres/100km (29.0 mpg US, 34.9 mpg CDN).
I'm hoping to get very close to the 9.0 litres /100km with the trailer. The first use will be this weekend when I will put about 400km on with all my astro gear... I'll do a careful mileage check.

Dave

Gas mileage on the 'shakedown cruise' was 9.9 litres/100km (23.8 MPG US -- 28.5 MPG CDN). About a 10% increase. The 400 kms I drove were on city and county roads with small towns and some stoplights. there was no extended 'interstate highway' travel. I suspect that if I were doing 800kms a day with long stretches on interstates I would get about 9.5 l/100... this would be a 5% increase. Considering the added convenience, a small price to pay.

Dave

Retsub

Reged: 12/08/06

Loc: Houston,Tx.
      #5965103 - 07/11/13 01:48 AM

Hey Cotts, wish we were still at TSP. Some things there I could have shown you about trailers. Too early to say it but since you have a light weight trailer it might be the problem. Did you have the scope near the front for the best ride spot ? Try some different materials in it and "watch" it with a video camera mounted inside to watch what is going on during a test drive. Also add a temp. couple hundred pounds to see if it helps make it squat down a little more and be smoother. Probably the roof is alum and is already a natural radiant barrier. For years our Wells Cargo 5X10 hardly gets warmer than ambient even while closed at TSP all day. Stick your nose inside a steel trailer just to compare ! Do some "testing" before you give up on the rough ride. Thanks. *BW*

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: My New WellsCargo 4x6 Trailer new [Re: Retsub]
      #5967160 - 07/12/13 10:41 AM

BW: The roof is vinyl coating over an aluminum shell with ribbing for stiffness.

I don't have a video camera..

I had the Rocker-box ad base with mirror and the wheelbarrow handles as far forward in the trailer. The center of gravity of this stuff was about halfway between the wheels and the front edge. (This is the smoothest ride area of the trailer, I suspect. The UTA which suffered the most from the vibration was between the wheelbarrow handles, directly over the wheels in a padded soft case. All my other gear was packed around for ballast/padding.

It seems to me the simplest thing is to keep the UTA and my mirror in the car and put everything else in the trailer. There is plenty of room....

Dave

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1321

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics