Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
TOM KIEHL
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: How can you tell if you have an early Astroscan new [Re: Dave M]
      #5953265 - 07/03/13 02:36 PM

Quote:

Tom, Nice pics

A Big Thank you , Oh most enlightened one.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave M
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: How can you tell if you have an early Astroscan new [Re: TOM KIEHL]
      #5953295 - 07/03/13 02:51 PM

Glad to be of Help!

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: How can you tell if you have an early Astroscan new [Re: Dave M]
      #5953348 - 07/03/13 03:27 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Wonder if that base has been repainted; Eric, does that color match the grey base you have? It looks too silvery to me. Regardless, that definitely is a 1976-vintage Astroscan. Note that the accompanying book identifies it as "The Edmund Wide-Field Telescope", not Astroscan... it wouldn't receive that appellation until sometime in 1977.

I also have one of the old Edmund small-aperture Barlow lenses that was in your scope's eyepiece tube, Tom... as the photo below shows, it was in a cell that fit into an eyepiece tube. If used in a focuser tube, it would require one of the phenolic split rings shown to be placed around the cell. Due to the steep light cone that the Astroscan presents, this isn't the best Barlow lens to use with it; one with a clear aperture approaching 20mm or greater would perform better.

Fred

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: How can you tell if you have an early Astroscan new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5953359 - 07/03/13 03:37 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Here are two views of the foam pad that sits underneath the Astroscan's primary mirror; not too many folks have ever seen one, I'd wager! To its left in the first photo is the adhesive disc that attached it to the back of the mirror.

These pads are about 4" in diameter, just a little smaller around than the mirror itself, and 1/2" thick when new; the one shown has both compressed and deteriorated. The side view of the pad (propped up by a lime that was pressed into service ) shows approximately how much space is behind that mirror, in terms of both volume and shape.

Eric P
sage

Reged: 04/04/05

#5953500 - 07/03/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

Wonder if that base has been repainted; Eric, does that color match the grey base you have? It looks too silvery to me.

I would say so along with thorough sanding to remove the rough casting. It almost appears as if the cast contact spots were sanded down as well.

TOM KIEHL
Pooh-Bah

Re: How can you tell if you have an early Astroscan new [Re: Eric P]
      #5953552 - 07/03/13 05:47 PM

Eric , What is the production numbers on your astroscan?

TOM KIEHL
Pooh-Bah

#5953587 - 07/03/13 06:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wonder if that base has been repainted; Eric, does that color match the grey base you have? It looks too silvery to me.

I would say so along with thorough sanding to remove the rough casting. It almost appears as if the cast contact spots were sanded down as well.

The cast contact points are there, they are covered by larger red felt pads , your felt pads are smaller for some reason. I can't see any sanding marks and the paint is a thin even coat of silver with no overspray.

Eric P
sage

Reged: 04/04/05

#5953615 - 07/03/13 06:32 PM

Quote:

The cast contact points are there, they are covered by larger red felt pads , your felt pads are smaller for some reason. I can't see any sanding marks and the paint is a thin even coat of silver with no overspray.

I stand corrected then. Your base seems to have a smoother casting but it could just be the pic.

My Astroscan is #520

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

#5953726 - 07/03/13 08:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So, the original grey on your base is a silvery-grey just like Tom's? I think I was too ambiguous with my questions...

Lew Chilton
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/05

Loc: SoCal
      #5954224 - 07/04/13 01:51 AM

Thanks for the tip, Fred! I tried unsuccessully to remove the retaining ring holding the secondary support window, but I stopped when I thought I was going to bung it up. I'll try your 2nd method.

Thanks again,
Lew

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: How can you tell if you have an early Astroscan new [Re: Lew Chilton]
      #5954692 - 07/04/13 12:34 PM

You're plenty welcome, Lew! That method has saved a few Astroscans from a trip back to the factory. Getting that front ring out is tricky, and if the foam-stuffing method works properly it's unnecessary, although it should be removed at some point to allow safety wires to be placed on that diagonal mirror and it's support.

Removing the ring that retains the primary mirror is pretty easy, it's the replacing that's very difficult. The easiest method I've used to get it back into place involved compressing the split ring and tying it across the widest part while compressed with unwaxed dental floss; then I'd drop it into place and verrrrrry carefully cut the floss with a knife - not the easiest thing to do one-handed, without being able to see what you're doing, and within an inch or so of a first-surface mirror! If I did it correctly, the ring (which, being steel, could easily sleek or scratch the mirror) would snap into place without incident and secure the mirror (all this has to be done wearing a clean white cotton glove on the working hand, otherwise the mirror will become very smudged)... Then, still one handed, push the mirror back into the foam to allow the retrieval of the floss ends from between the mirror and the now-captivated ring. Touch up any little smudges on the mirror, and done.

Not recommended for the manually impaired or faint of heart, unless one has a supply of spare mirrors...

Fred

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

#5963118 - 07/09/13 10:29 PM

Quote:

Eric P, The chrome eyepiece focuser tube has a Aluminum ring with a brass thumb screw to hold the eyepiece in, and what appears to be a Barlow or some sort of corrector lens at the bottom of the chrome tube. My later Astroscan 2001 has none of this. Did the early ones come with a finder?

Just a note on that aluminum ring with the brass thumbscrew: that is a "focus locking collar"... this was part of a photography system sold early on by Edmund for the Astroscan, which included the generic Barlow lens (the RKE Barlow lens was used later), a T-mount with 1-1/4" adapter for a 35mm camera (one supplied their own T-ring for their specific brand of camera) and the focusing collar, the purpose of which was, once locked into position on the focusing tube, to keep the weight of the camera from pushing the tube into the telescope body while taking pictures, and thus inadvertantly changing the focus.

Fred

TOM KIEHL
Pooh-Bah

#5963143 - 07/09/13 10:40 PM

Well that answers that question ,,Mystery solved . thanks Fred........Tom

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

#5963153 - 07/09/13 10:47 PM

My pleasure, Tom... and for the record, the early Astroscans didn't have a finder. Edmund started supplying them with the black sheet-metal peepsight finder sometime in the late 70's, to the best of my knowledge.

Fred

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 931

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics