Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
ukcanuck
Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: London, UK
Vintage Takahashi mount identified: TAK 90s? new
      #5950796 - 07/02/13 06:08 AM

I've been casually looking for an interesting EQ mounting to use for casual use, loading long refractors on for testing etc, when a friend offered me a good price on a Takahashi equatorial. Being pretty unfamiliar with Takahashi, I was a little uncertain, but the offered price offered was very fair, so I figured it was worth a try.

It's beautifully made and larger than a Vixen GPDX, but not as massive as an Atlas or EQ-6. Having got it home, I'm now thinking it's older than I originally thought it was (I don't have a problem with that), but the eyepiece slots for .965 eyepieces are a significant clue that suggests it's a fairly old one.

I spent some time Googling for a similar mount last night, but couldn't find one. The only relevant information I've found so far is that the dealer; Norman Fisher/South London, started his business in 1976 & Normal himself passed away in 1994. So, I have an approximate window of time of 18 years (this is taking for granted that the business lasted through to '94...I have found no online record so far).

As you can from the label, there is no obvious model name (not in English, anyway)

I've got a few more images, which I'll shrink and upload a little later today, but I need to stop procrastinating and do some actual work for now...

Any thoughts on whether you've seen this mounting or have any experience with it in the past would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Please help identify my vintage Takahashi EQ? new [Re: ukcanuck]
      #5950841 - 07/02/13 07:21 AM

Kind of reminds me of an EM-100..

ukcanuck

Re: Please help identify my vintage Takahashi EQ? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5951285 - 07/02/13 12:33 PM

Quote:

Kind of reminds me of an EM-100..

Thanks! Searching EM-100 bring up a few images of this mounting...but not many and most seem to be on Japanese sites. The most informative one was this one. In this thread, the writer suggests the age can be found in the serial number, which in this case is #82202 (perhaps 1982/#202?).

There are some nice details, including the polar finder & cap:

The illuminating assembly for the reticle (controlled by the smaller chrome knob to the right):

The motor controller (currently untested):

...and the box showing the old Takahashi logo:

It will be awhile before I get a chance to use the mounting, (I need to swap the cradle for a dovetail saddle of some kind), but I think this mount was a nice little find...

Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5951290 - 07/02/13 12:37 PM

I think your interpretation of the serial number is correct. It should be the mount #202 produced in 1982. That's the typical Tak numbering. My NJP and my Tak scopes follow the same system.
I would try emailing TNR and also the EU Tak distributor. They might know a little more about it.
If you need a saddle look at ADM accessories.
See if this page has any relevant info
http://www.astrosurf.com/re/taka_telescopes.html

Edited by andysea (07/02/13 12:42 PM)

orlyandico
Postmaster

Re: Please help identify my vintage Takahashi EQ? new [Re: andysea]
      #5951298 - 07/02/13 12:47 PM

So... how much did it cost you?

I ask because back when I was thinking of buying a "forever" mount, I was trying to save some cash and Markus Ludes had an EM-100 he was selling. He said it carried more than an Atlas.

Of course She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named voted down the EM-100 (and even the NJP that Markus was also selling). Both were deemed extremely ancient-looking.

But these old Taks were really well made. If that's really an EM-100 it probably has a periodic error below 10" peak-to-peak.

ukcanuck

#5951402 - 07/02/13 02:04 PM

Quote:

So... how much did it cost you?

PM sent...

Quote:

I think your interpretation of the serial number is correct. It should be the mount #202 produced in 1982. That's the typical Tak numbering. My NJP and my Tak scopes follow the same system.
I would try emailing TNR and also the EU Tak distributor. They might know a little more about it.
If you need a saddle look at ADM accessories.
See if this page has any relevant info
http://www.astrosurf.com/re/taka_telescopes.html

Thanks for all this information, it's very helpful.

The ADM tip is great, although I don't seem to be able to connect with their site at present, will keep trying.

In the meantime, I may try machining something myself...I'll see what time permits.

I may have some questions regarding power before I try turning it on...I don't want to fry the electronics while seeing if it works. None of my mountings run on anything other than either a simply battery pack (or manual slow motion cables)

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5951435 - 07/02/13 02:29 PM

it is probably center-negative (the power plug) most of the old Japan mounts are..

ichdien

Reged: 11/27/08

#5951529 - 07/02/13 03:27 PM

This won't be very helpful, but in your third photo the Japanese inscription is "System 90," and the inscription on the box in the last photo is "Motor Drive."

Jim

ukcanuck

Re: Please help identify my vintage Takahashi EQ? [Re: ichdien]
      #5951902 - 07/02/13 06:58 PM

Quote:

This won't be very helpful, but in your third photo the Japanese inscription is "System 90," and the inscription on the box in the last photo is "Motor Drive."

Jim

Thanks, I did wonder what the 90mm referred to...

MikeCatfin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/12/04

Loc: NJ, USA
      #5952712 - 07/03/13 08:54 AM

So is this a Tak 90s mount similar to this one that was listed for sale back in '06?

Takahashi 90S

orlyandico
Postmaster

Re: Please help identify my vintage Takahashi EQ? new [Re: MikeCatfin]
      #5952834 - 07/03/13 10:19 AM

Yes it's an Tak 90S. Smaller than an EM-100. My mistake.

http://www.singastro.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2990

ukcanuck

#5954314 - 07/04/13 03:54 AM

Thank you all, it seems like a pretty uncommon mounting and an interesting find.

I'm working on sourcing a battery pack now. First stop is to see if I can find a second hand original one (pretty unlikely), after that I will visit the UK equivalent of Radio Shack (Maplins) to see what they have.

I will post an update once I've tried to apply power.

ukcanuck

#5954584 - 07/04/13 10:44 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

Ok, while I'm a little embarassed to display what a primitive mount person I am, I need to ask for some experienced advice on whether this adaptor will be suitable to power this Takahashi mounting?

It's been in my workshop for some time (never used it) and powers up ok. In checking with a multimeter, once it's properly adjusted, outgoing voltage shows as 6v. I will need to swap the adaptor to make the pin centre negative, but otherwise it seems like it should be fine.

Is there something I don't know or am not seeing? Is running it from the mains a hugely bad idea for some reason that don't know?

Any thoughts welcome...

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 724

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics