Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
John F
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/16/04

Loc: Washington State
Using Delos eyepieces with a Binoviewer new
      #5952354 - 07/03/13 12:28 AM

I'm considering replacing a pair of 11mm T6 Naglers that I have and use for high power binoviewing with a pair on 10mm Delos eyepieces instead.

On TeleVue's website they claim that their Delos line of eyepieces will work with a binoviewer and I'm sure that they do. But given the wide width of their upper barrels I'm wondering about how comfortable they will be for observing with. One of the features I like about the T6 Naglers is their small size, modest weight, and how hassle-free (if you don't need to wear glasses) they are to use to binoview with (at least in their longer focal length sizes).

In any case I'd be interested in hearing from any other Cloudy Night users who have tried using pairs of the Delos eyepieces with a Binoviewer and what your experiences (positive or negative) have been.

John Finnan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Using Delos eyepieces with a Binoviewer new [Re: John F]
      #5952369 - 07/03/13 12:46 AM

I've tried binoing with a pair of 10mm Delos, I like the Naglers better. For me the T6s are uber comfortable. And yes, the barrels are really wide on the Delos and that is why they don't work for me. The image was outstanding though.

deister

Reged: 02/21/07

Loc: Germany
Re: Using Delos eyepieces with a Binoviewer [Re: John F]
      #5952488 - 07/03/13 03:18 AM

Hi John,

i am using pairs of Delos 17,2 mm, Delos 10mm and Delos 6 mm in a Baader Mark V and a Denkmaier Denk II Super System. Compared with my Panoptics 24 mm, the solution is more huge but you get brilliant fields of view. For me, the eyeguards sliding action is the best solution on the market for an ergonomic position for my eyes. You must make a test before you buy it. It depends on your distance between your eyes (IPD).

Regards

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Using Delos eyepieces with a Binoviewer new [Re: deister]
      #5952768 - 07/03/13 09:29 AM

I had a pair of 17.3 Delos and they actually made my FS102 focuser drawtube visibly sag. Personally I do not like that kind of excess weight added to my binoviewers - and those are the smallest Deloi.

deister

Reged: 02/21/07

Loc: Germany
Re: Using Delos eyepieces with a Binoviewer new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5952870 - 07/03/13 10:42 AM

Hi Johnny,

i am using a Moonlite-Focuser on my 16" Dob and Starlight Instrument Feather Toch Focusers on my APO's. Not a problem for that kind of weight including the Bino.

Regards

pbruckne

Reged: 08/02/12

Loc: S.E. Michigan
Re: Using Delos eyepieces with a Binoviewer new [Re: deister]
      #5952907 - 07/03/13 11:08 AM

Question: With respect to the Feather Touch or Moonlite Focusers and the added weight of the bino w/ Delos optics, it appears that it would be wise to have the "brake" feature?

-Paul

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Using Delos eyepieces with a Binoviewer new [Re: pbruckne]
      #5953257 - 07/03/13 02:32 PM

Quote:

Question: With respect to the Feather Touch or Moonlite Focusers and the added weight of the bino w/ Delos optics, it appears that it would be wise to have the "brake" feature?

-Paul

Yes. Also applies to JMI focusers.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: Using Delos eyepieces with a Binoviewer new [Re: Starman1]
      #5953939 - 07/03/13 10:18 PM

I binoview with 10 Delos, 9T6 Nagler, 13T6 Nagler, 16T5 Nagler, 19 Pan, 24 Pan... and 16 Brandons. Of all of them, contrary to popular opinion, I actually find the Delos to be LEAST immersive, because of the really long eye relief. With the 16T5 for example, you put your eye right on that lens and you (or, "I") feel more immersed in the view. Same is true for me with the pans (particularly the 24), even though they have a little less AFOV. With the Delos, the eye is far back and for me the experience is thus less all-encompassing, like sitting in the back of the movie theater rather than the middle or front. However the clarity of the view through the Delos is excellent... so I use them for specific purposes. For example I use them on the sun and moon because I like being able to easily see the field stop when binoviewing and looking at the interior of both objects. And basically I stopped using the 9T6 because I like the 10 Delos view better. But the 9T6 is an eyepiece I generally don't like, my least favorite of the bunch, so maybe that says more about my opinion of the 9T6 than the Delos. In any event, I like em but don't plan to buy any more Deloi, as I'm happy with the T6 and pans in other focal lengths.

One negative of the Delos for me is that it's annoying to clean that big eye lens. It's huge, flat, and tends to collect dust etc. easily. A 10 second cleaning job on a 16T5 is a 2 minute job on the Delos. The big eye lens also picks up glare from background light more easily than the others, so I take extra precaution to shield it from light when I use it.

Comfort-wise I'm fine with the size of the lenses and binoviewing.

So it's a keeper but a mixed bag IMHO.

John F
professor emeritus

Re: Using Delos eyepieces with a Binoviewer new [Re: mark8888]
      #5954074 - 07/04/13 12:01 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. From what I'm reading it sounds like using the Delos eyepieces (for binoviewing) is a mixed bag. On the one hand they provide exceptional image quality, but on the other they are some drawbacks because of their relatively large size, heavy weight, wide upper barrels and so on.

So it sounds like it would be a very good idea to try a pair before making the decision to order them. For the next 3 days and night I'm going to be down in Central Oregon observing at a relatively high elevation dark sky site. I've already got a 4.5mm Delos and an observing buddy of mine also recently got one so we'll try binoviewing with those. It is not the ideal focal length to use for this but they should give me a much better sense of what I'll getting (and dealing with) if switch to using a pair of 10mm Delos eyepieces for my high power binoviewing or not.

So when I get back next Monday I write up how things went down in Oregon and whether I've made a decision yet one way or the other as to whether to place a order for a pair of the 10mm Delos eyepieces.

John Finnan

John F
professor emeritus

Re: Using Delos eyepieces with a Binoviewer new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5959933 - 07/08/13 01:25 AM

I just got back from 3 nights very dark sky observing in East/Central Oregon. I was able to try a pair of 4.5mm Delos eyepieces with my TeleVue Bino Vue on Saturn at 147x.

I did find the wide upper barrels of those eyepieces was a problem for me when trying to binoview with two of them side by side. My nose kept making contact with the eyepieces which often caused a small bump and the image to be jittery. After a few minutes of that I had had enough and made the decision to stick with the pair of 11mm T6 Naglers I already had rather than switch to a pair of 10mm Delos eyepieces.

I will say that for monoviewing I like the Delos eyepieces very much (and also the Ethos), but for binoviewing I much prefer the smaller Panoptic, 16mm T5 Nagler and the 13 & 11 T6 Nagler eyepieces because of their size, weight and viewing comfort advantages.

John Finnan

Pages: 1

Extra information
30 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 707

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics