Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
KewlToy

Reged: 05/18/13

Loc: Louisville
Advice for "right side up image" device Cassegrain new
      #5948649 - 06/30/13 08:42 PM

I'm hoping for advice for the device I need to correct the upside-down image in my Orion StarMax 127mm Cassegrain.
web page

I understand that it is possible with one device to get things swapped right side up, but then right/left will be swapped?, and that may be fine.

Is there a decent device that corrects both? up/down and right/left?

Should I avoid swapping right/left? (quality loss?)

Advice on decent namebrands? names of devices?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SeattleScott
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/14/11

Re: Advice for "right side up image" device Cassegrain new [Re: KewlToy]
      #5948784 - 06/30/13 10:13 PM

There are erect image diagonals for daytime use. But not recommended for nighttime use.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: Advice for "right side up image" device Cassegrain new [Re: SeattleScott]
      #5949089 - 07/01/13 04:08 AM

Get used to it. It takes more glass to get it the way you want it; more glass=more light loss.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5949142 - 07/01/13 06:02 AM

Quote:

I'm hoping for advice for the device I need to correct the upside-down image in my Orion StarMax 127mm Cassegrain.
web page

I understand that it is possible with one device to get things swapped right side up, but then right/left will be swapped?, and that may be fine.

Is there a decent device that corrects both? up/down and right/left?

Should I avoid swapping right/left? (quality loss?)

Advice on decent namebrands? names of devices?

Hi:

Any star diagonal, that is a single reflection prism or mirror will erect the image if the diagonal is oriented vertically, the image will be reversed left and right. The 127mm Starmax comes with a mirror star diagonal so you should be set.

There are diagonals to correct for both top to bottom and left to right but they have a rather complicated light path that typically results in reduced sharpness at higher magnifications.

Jon

Edited by Jon Isaacs (07/01/13 06:02 AM)

KewlToy

Re: Advice for "right side up image" device Cassegrain [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5952565 - 07/03/13 06:15 AM

Thanks for the information and advice!

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5952788 - 07/03/13 09:45 AM

Quote:

OK, I'm baffled. Are you sure that the image in your Mak-Cas is upside down? That shouldn't be true unless you're viewing straight-through, with an extension tube instead of a diagonal -- something that few people do.

Have you viewed terrestrial objects to verify the orientation? It's kinda hard on celestial objects, which don't usually have an obvious "up."

If you're using a normal diagonal, your view should be right-side up and mirror-reversed left to right.

KewlToy

Re: Advice for "right side up image" device Cassegrain new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5954287 - 07/04/13 03:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

OK, I'm baffled. Are you sure that the image in your Mak-Cas is upside down? That shouldn't be true unless you're viewing straight-through, with an extension tube instead of a diagonal -- something that few people do.
Have you viewed terrestrial objects to verify the orientation? It's kinda hard on celestial objects, which don't usually have an obvious "up."
If you're using a normal diagonal, your view should be right-side up and mirror-reversed left to right.

Hmmm, I got this unit used from a co-worker. He mentioned the upside down image issue. I am assuming it still has the stock diagonal. web page
I did view terrestrial images at the beach... (guilty as charged) (and yes they are still pretty upside down)

I just noticed that this Orion Apex unit comes with a correcting diagonal.
web page

Anyway, it sounds like I simply need to get an image correcting diagonal?

Removing the diagonal and eyepiece, and just looking throught the barrel showed right-side up images, but with the expected hole in the middle mirror issue.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 316

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics