Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
jeff heck
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/16/06

Loc: stl,mo.
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: aatt]
      #5951348 - 07/02/13 01:25 PM

Yes, some interesting replies, as always. You cannot deny the power of seeing the Milky Way from a darksite, and O.C. ngc7789 is very nice. I still consider myself a newbie as this is only my seventh year observing, so most Messier objects WOW me.

P.S. Dale, you are a funny guy! I plan to get out to Danville next clear night, hope you can join us.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Usquebae

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: 43 N, 73 W
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: jeff heck]
      #5952267 - 07/02/13 11:18 PM

I just started looking up a couple months ago, and am rather awed by everything. One object I never see mentioned that particularly impresses me is the Whale Galaxy. Favorite area to peruse is the spout of the tea kettle.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: Usquebae]
      #5952394 - 07/03/13 01:23 AM

Tony, et al;

My observing buddy of 34 years, AJ Crayon, and I marvel at the night sky every time we go out. We will take a break from observing around midnight and have a snack. So, here we are surrounded by thousands of dollars worth of equipment and just sitting there oogling whatever is overhead. It is still enjoyable to marvel at our beautiful universe. We often find ourselves discussing how amazing it all is and the fact that we are here to be amazed.

Lots of fun;
Steve Coe

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: stevecoe]
      #5952752 - 07/03/13 09:18 AM

Quote:

We will take a break from observing around midnight and have a snack. So, here we are surrounded by thousands of dollars worth of equipment and just sitting there oogling whatever is overhead.

I'm not sure I would call that "taking a break from observing." Maybe that's when you're really getting into observing.

On the fairly rare occasions that I get to a truly dark site, I have a hard time dragging myself to the eyepiece of my telescope. What I want to do most is just lie on my back and look at the sky.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: What object WOWS you each season. [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5952919 - 07/03/13 11:15 AM

If you like Dark Nebula, you should check out the August Astronomy as they have a large article on them.

Bob

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: stevecoe]
      #5953305 - 07/03/13 02:56 PM

Quote:

Tony, et al;

My observing buddy of 34 years, AJ Crayon, and I marvel at the night sky every time we go out. We will take a break from observing around midnight and have a snack. So, here we are surrounded by thousands of dollars worth of equipment and just sitting there oogling whatever is overhead. It is still enjoyable to marvel at our beautiful universe. We often find ourselves discussing how amazing it all is and the fact that we are here to be amazed.

Lots of fun;
Steve Coe

That sounds like what I seem to do half the time. I'll just lean back in my chair and be struck by the wonder of it all. I'll think about my Dad, who got me started in all this, and be happy that my life has turned out so well. A starry sky is an inspiring sight.

Cheers,

Ron

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: RAKing]
      #5953490 - 07/03/13 05:09 PM

Summer:
Galaxies: For larger scopes in the summer I have to put Abell 2151 down (Hercules Cluster of Galaxies). Also NGC 6027 or Seyfert's Sextet (Hickson 79 in Serpens (see this wonderful link)
PN: I'll include NGC 6905 The Blue Flash PN and NGC 6826 the Blinking PN.
Nebula: Sharpless 2-091a SN remanent in Cygnus that is not the Veil. See this Steve G. link. A 6 inch with a OIII filter the site says can see this object. The larger the scope, the darker the sky the better the view.

Fall:
Galaxies: NGC 7479 wonderful barred spiral. NGC 7331 and the Deer Lick galaxies and Stephan's Quintet. NGC 7619 Pegasus I Cluster. Fall is my favorite season and it is galaxy season.
PN: Helix PN and Blue Snowball PN. Minkowski 2-51 in Cepheus or Jones 1 as challenge objects.
OC: NGC 457 Owl Cluster (just because it was my first OC) and Messier 103 (love the colors in that cluster).
Nebula and Others: Bubble or NGC 7635;

Winter:
Galaxies: Don't overlook the Eridanus galaxies, there are some wonderful gems down there. NGC 1232, 1395, 1398, 1532 etc. Also NGC 2163 & 2207 merging galaxies in Canis Major.
PN: NGC 1535; NGC 1360; IC 418; NGC 2392 Eskimo;
OC: Christmas Tree OC NGC 2264 w/neb.; Messier 35 and NGC 2158; Messier 36,37, 38.
Nebula and Others: Messier 42; Horsehead B33; IC443 SNR; Simeis 147 SNR; Messier 1; NGC 2359 Thor's Helmet; NGC 1931 mini Orion Nebula;

Spring:
Galaxies: Take your pick . . . . too many to list and not just one favorite. Large, medium and small. NGC 4568, NGC 4438 (I love merging galaxies) or NGC 5128 Centaraus A.
OC: There are some, but I'm too busy in this time of the year for a lot of OC work.
Nebula and others: IC 4406 PN in Lepus; NGC 3242 Ghost of Jupiter.

The only I did not include are the Double Stars I enjoy by season. For those who don't know many of these are at the Adventure in Deep Space site under Beyond Messier; Seasonal Favorites at this link on that site. There are plenty of good objects there if one is looking for items by season as they are done with the Messier.

Tyranthrax
sage

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5953533 - 07/03/13 05:36 PM

As generic as this is going to sound, everything I see astounds me.

Looking at this from a standpoint of being able to grasp the enormity of what sites we are seeing and how different each one is, from a pinprick of light of a super nova 40 million light years away, to the entrancing beauty of a dust cloud illuminated by whatever it is that lights them up, to the great globulars, to the galaxies and the concept of the combined light of a trillion stars that reached my very photo receptors, all the way to the rings of Saturn, the blueness of Neptune, the great spot on the king of our solar system and seeing its moons, the doubles and triple stars, to the luminousness of Sirius. To the concept of the fact that Betelgeuse is about to blow, down to the white dwarfs in the very center of the planetary nebula. . .even the craters on the moon. What wows me each night? What wows me is not a simple sight, its the fact that every single thing I see makes me get excited and I have yet to not be amazed at what I am seeing, the principle that I get excited of what new thing I am going to see next, the fact that when I see these things and can understand the enormity of it all that, that is what wows me each night. That my friends is what brings me out each night I can get out and drives me to photo the objects and share the experience with my friends, I just wish my dog could look through the scope with me and get it too.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: Tyranthrax]
      #5953995 - 07/03/13 10:58 PM

What gets me is the extreme vertigo of looking out over thousands of light years is manifested in this simple 2 dimensional flat view that if it leads to any idea of the universe is wildly distorted by brights objects appearing close and dim far when it could and often is the exact opposite. I take celestial depth perception with a grain of salt.

Pete

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5954335 - 07/04/13 04:24 AM

Pete;

I agree completely. Virtually everytime I set up for a public viewing session someone says "doesn't it make you feel small?" I say, yes, we are physically small by any standard I can set, but...we figured it out. We started from the simple naked eye viewing of the sky and all its movements and learned that the Universe is vast and fascinating on all scales. This is one of the most amazing things that humanity has ever done. And it sure is fun to look it all over on a clear night.

Still amazing after all these years;
Steve Coe

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5955022 - 07/04/13 05:09 PM

Quote:

What objects at the start of a new season make you drool? A few weeks ago I observed M17 for the first time this year and it really got to me. I love galaxies but this showpiece emission nebula can unfairly consume my observing time. From 82x to 288x, no filter, UHC or OIII, the detail and amount of variety puts this beauty in my top 5 list of favorite objects.
Autumn: M33 and M31
Winter: M42
Spring: M51 and M104
What are some of the objects that make you call people to your scope each season?

I've been observing for 50 years this year. Yet, I still continue to get "lifetime best" images of various objects--usually because I observe them in good conditions near the zenith, but also because I have a better mirror and eyepieces than at any previous time in my life. If someone tells you better optics don't count, try a comparison.

A few objects I've obtained "lifetime best" views of in the last couple years:
M27: part of it was that I never used a high-enough magnification to really see the small ropy tendrils well, or the "berm" that surrounds much of the nebula. My best view in the 12.5" was at 304X.

M17/M16: Using a Lumicon O-III filter at 140X, I was able to chase the nebula all the way to M16, revealing (as few photos do) that M17 and M16 are merely bright spots in the same nebula. M17, without filter, displays amazing details at 304X.

M33: How many H-II regions or star clouds are in this thing, anyway? I've tracked them out to almost a degree away from the core and I'm shocked that while low power shows the galaxy's extent, really high powers do better to bring out the objects in the arms. I could look at this for an hour.

M71: Shaped like an arrowhead (or angelfish, depending on orientation), this star cluster is magnificent at 228X or 304X in my scope.
It's fully resolved and so rich! And the field it sits in has to be almost as crowded as NGC6603 in M24.

NGC6520 and B86: This triangular inkspot sitting right next to a nice little cluster is one of my favorite objects in the entire sky. At 140X, it's simply marvelous. Plus, the backgound is nearly resolved into continuous stars--it's grainy--and the area around this object is filled with other objects. You could spend an hour on this object and other objects in a 3 degree circle.

M101: This galaxy not only displays a great spiral pattern, it has one arm that straggles out well away from the galaxy, giving this object the look of a Manta ray when the transparency is good. Not to mention so many knots in the arms!

M51/NGC5195: what can you say? On the nights where the transparency is good enough to see the bridge and even the dark lane in the bridge, spiral arms become visible sticking out of the side opposite the companion, yielding a chambered nautilus shape in M51. On those nights, a semi-circular glow and some faint "fingers" become visible around the companion, too. Best view ever was at 228X on a good night.

IC4617, galaxy, in the outskirts of M13: at 304X, this faint little streak becomes noticeable about half-way from the center of M13 to NGC6207, and really pops out. I don't always see it easily, but high power helps.

NGC6822, galaxy, in Sagittarius. I love the super-transparent nights, when the small, bright, non-stellar objects are visible at one end of this. At 14th to 15th magnitude, they're not like the knots in the arms of M33, but they usually are visible in superb transparency at 228-456X. The galaxy is most noticeable at 59X in my scope due to a low surface brightness. But the objects in the galaxy are best at high power--otherwise they look like stars. Like M33, it's in the Local Group:
http://www.faintfuzzies.com/Files/LocalGroup%20v2.pdf for an observing guide to the Local Group.

Each of these objects is worthy of a glance at everything from low to high power, and reveals something more every time I look.

I could go on and on, but these are a few great ones.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: Starman1]
      #5955434 - 07/05/13 12:09 AM

Quote:

M27: part of it was that I never used a high-enough magnification to really see the small ropy tendrils well, or the "berm" that surrounds much of the nebula. My best view in the 12.5" was at 304X.

M17/M16: Using a Lumicon O-III filter at 140X, I was able to chase the nebula all the way to M16, revealing (as few photos do) that M17 and M16 are merely bright spots in the same nebula. M17, without filter, displays amazing details at 304X.

M71: Shaped like an arrowhead (or angelfish, depending on orientation), this star cluster is magnificent at 228X or 304X in my scope.
It's fully resolved and so rich! And the field it sits in has to be almost as crowded as NGC6603 in M24.

Don,

I've never seen these three targets at the higher mags you mentioned, which would be good for me to try with my 5.5mm Meade UWA. Your post has inspired me to try it !!!

Was the observation of M-27 @ 304x with or without a filter?

I'm going to try the 5.5mm Meade UWA on all three I quoted here that you mentioned! Should be lots of fun!

Cheers,

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5955529 - 07/05/13 02:18 AM

High power M27? Without a filter.

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: Starman1]
      #5964879 - 07/10/13 10:38 PM

I love NGC 457 in Cassiopeia. In general, open star clusters lose their luster in images, and I have to see them visually to really enjoy them.

Another target that transfixes me in an eyepiece is Albireo. What a great double star. Recently got a new scope of larger aperture, and Albireo was just amazing.

Darren
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/17/03

Loc: 44N, 79W (Newmarket, Ont., Can...
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #5965839 - 07/11/13 02:50 PM

Spring: M81 & 82 in the same FOV. Always gets me. Also M5.
Summer: M22 is the most awesome globular north of Omega Centauri. M11. Also Beta Cygni (Albireo).
Fall: M31 (naturally), the Double Cluster, M45.
Winter: M42, M35, NGC 2158

Tom McDonald
sage

Reged: 12/19/06

Loc: No where man!
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5966306 - 07/11/13 08:21 PM

I'm like Tony in this respect.
When at a dark site, just looking up and seeing the incredible universe in all it's glory, who needs a scope?
Been looking up all my life. At age 4 I had my first view of the Milky Way, standing at the end of the driveway in Levittown,NY. That was WAYYYYY!!! back in 1959! Will never forget it! Can't see it now. I lost my dark sky site, so now I live vicariously through other folk's reports. Sadly,all that I can see now where I live is the Moon and the Sun.

Tom McDonald
sage

Reged: 12/19/06

Loc: No where man!
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: Darren]
      #5966309 - 07/11/13 08:23 PM

Happy Birthday, Darren!

nicklane1
sage

Reged: 03/04/08

#5966444 - 07/11/13 10:12 PM

like so many other folks here, I enjoy the wonder of the night sky with and without a telescope.

With a telescope, I'm always wow'd by the popular M42 and M31.

Bernie Poskus

Reged: 05/22/10

Loc: Broomfield, Colorado
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: aatt]
      #5968370 - 07/13/13 12:29 AM

Winter: M42. I still get lost in the nebulosity every year.
Spring: Markarian's Chain. What fun to just troll around the sky and have galaxies litter your FOV like grains of rice on dark carpet.
Summer: The Veil. Use an OIII filter with a good eyepiece, and I can get lost in there for hours, especially if conditions are good enough to see Pickering's Triangle and a lot of the other structures between the two main parts of the Veil.
Fall: The Double Cluster. Looking closely, I have always noticed that there is a crimson star visible on a line between the two clusters, easily located if you divide the distance between the two into thirds. The crimson star is on one of the 1/3 dividing lines.

Darren
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/17/03

Loc: 44N, 79W (Newmarket, Ont., Can...
Re: What object WOWS you each season. new [Re: Tom McDonald]
      #5968475 - 07/13/13 02:40 AM

Thanks, Tom!
I was out late tonight at our club's dark sky site, report tomorrow. Too tired now. Bedtime.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1635

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics