Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1
justfred

Reged: 09/24/10

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Smile new
      #5952006 - 07/02/13 08:07 PM

I want to share with the group... sounds like therapy and I suppose it is. You know how life bunches up ever once and a while. Lots of things happening seemingly non-stop that make it really suck to be a grown-up? Well, our family is coming out of one of those times. Almost two years of it. Deaths, unusually high work related travel, kids leaving, kids coming back... the types of things that happen to all of us - but hopefully not all at once. Like I said. Things are MUCH better. I was transfering things into a new office we recently built in the basement (did I mention home improvements/repairs?). I took my '66 Q 3.5 Standard ( opics replaced with Zerodure in 2010)to its new spot and found myself naturally opening the case - for the first time in a long while. Constellations on Mystic Purple and all that aluminum. I realized that I was smiling. Big smile. I closed the case, found the the tristand and set it nearby in the closet and then placed one of my copies of Pasachoff on top of the Questar case. Also placed a new 9V on top for the Powerguide II(never leave the battery in the Powerguide when not using it). All I need now are some clear skies and to find my brake-light tape and I'm back in the game. I'm smiling now as I write this. This is another one of those intangibles that may be present somewhat with other equipment, but seems more so with the Q.

Thanks, and Happy Fourth of July to everyone.

Fred

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JMKarian

Reged: 03/18/13

Loc: Northwestern PA
Re: Smile new [Re: justfred]
      #5952566 - 07/03/13 06:15 AM

Fred
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Indeed, life has its twists and turns . . . And fortunately getting on the other side of some of life's storm clouds can never come to soon.

The Q is a wonderful companion which never disappoints. The pleasure you and I get simply by admiring its timeless fit and finish is a testament to the creative genius of Lawrence Braymer and the technical artisans from New Hope.

May you and your family always have clear skies going forward

John

Michael Lomb

Reged: 10/26/10

Loc: North Island New Zealand
Re: Smile new [Re: JMKarian]
      #5954143 - 07/04/13 12:56 AM

Thanks for sharing this. At my age of 61 years, I can relate. By this stage of life we can all write our own life chapters. The later chapters focus more on what is important in life. Cascading life events can make one feel like Alice in Wonderland in the Red Queen’s race where she is running faster and faster to just to stay in the same place.

What becomes less important over the later years is collecting more stuff. The early chapters of often collecting more stuff as a reward for our labour followed by an epiphany that you do not need most of it and do your best to get rid of it again.

What you do need are quiet moments on your own away from the hyperkinetic stresses of everyday life. For some of us, I guess members of this forum; this involves using a Questar on a clear quiet night. Some stuff is worth keeping.

justfred

Reged: 09/24/10

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Re: Smile [Re: Michael Lomb]
      #5954645 - 07/04/13 11:44 AM

John and Michael,

I posted a comment once about people who ask why you have a Questar at all. Small aperture. Pricey. All the usual comments. I said there will always be the people that "get it" and always be the ones that don't. Mostly there's the folks "don't" and, sad to say, probably never will. Its like trying to explain why you like the color blue or a particular wine.

Thanks for your comments! I'm sitting on the back porch doing some armchair astronomy and watching it rain here in the Southeastern U.S.. Working on an observation list for when it clears up.

thanks again and God Bless!

Fred

P.S. Michael, I'm just a few weeks away from my 61st time around. You're right about how your perspective changes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 738

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics