Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Gary Minder

Reged: 06/23/13

First Light for Celestron Adv VX
      #5955319 - 07/04/13 10:15 PM

Yesterday was my first experience with an EQ mount after more than 10 years wit a NexStar 8. I am amazed at the difference.

The tripod is as solid as could be. The NexStar tripod looks like a toy next to the VX. I have nothing to compare the VX mount to but it looks very well made. It all went together very easily. I was worried when I did a rough RA balance with just the OTA. There wasn't much room at the end of the counterweight bar and I still had an Orion mag-mini 50 w/SSAG and my Canon to add. No problem though. The dec axis balance was a pain. The OTA is almost all the way forward and I was adjusting a 1/4 inch at a time to get it dialed in.

I was in a hurry to take my first AP shots so I didn't spend the time I should have with the 2-star alignment and I only did a very rough polar alignment. The go-to function was still amazingly accurate and did far better than my NexStar ever did. Even with a rushed alignment the mount still put objects in the FOV. I do have a f/6.3 reducer so that helped.

The VX seems to hit the sweet spot for my C8. It's light enough that I can carry it without taking the mount off the tripod but plenty beefy enough to handle the C8 with accessories. Money well spent.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bart
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/06

Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville...
Re: First Light for Celestron Adv VX new [Re: Gary Minder]
      #5955668 - 07/05/13 07:53 AM

You know the where are the of your new mount?

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
Re: First Light for Celestron Adv VX new [Re: Bart]
      #5956564 - 07/05/13 06:47 PM

Congrats and we do want pics!

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 390

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics