Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: neilson]
      #5952917 - 07/03/13 11:14 AM

Losmandy came up with a very elegant solution to the wireless hand controller. You access a web based controller via the browser on your phone. Works like a charm. I used it extensively when I had broken my hand controller and was waiting for a replacement

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: neilson]
      #5952938 - 07/03/13 11:31 AM

If the controller is based on a RasPi then a wireless controller via web is trivial to do.

The RasPi is proof that with enough volume, anything is dirt-cheap.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5953057 - 07/03/13 12:44 PM

Using a phone to operate a mount is nice for some people but I want the controller itself to be wireless. Both features should be on the mount. As well as wireless laptop operation.
It really gets me why telescope mounts are so slow to catch up with modern technology.

neilson

freestar8n
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/12/07

Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5953152 - 07/03/13 01:33 PM

I would just like to add that I like the speed and low latency of USB, and the ability to have 8 devices connected to a single hub 36' away that all plug into the laptop with a single cable. It is high speed and low latency and robust. I avoid having usb2serial devices and prefer things like filter wheels that are usb.

In terms of the complexity of software and devices with usb - I make devices based on the PIC18F4550 microcontroller, which has a USB stack and voltage source built in. If you connect it to a PC as a HID device, then there is no special "driver" installation required - and an app can talk to it directly with no separate installation.

This PIC chip allows a bootstrap mode so that firmware updates can be installed over the same USB port.

So I actually like working with USB devices and apps that talk to them.

I also have code that talks directly to things like astro cameras that do require device drivers and are not HID - but I still talk to them via a supplied SDK and it's no big deal - and the result is high throughput and low latency.

I think the main problem nowadays is that everything is in a state of flux and you don't know what the next big connection will be. I guess usb 2.0 might go away and rs232 would still be around in some form.

Right now I think the mount is the only thing in my setup that is rs232 - and I guess it's ok for it to stay that way. I just wouldn't want a lot of them.

Frank

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5953315 - 07/03/13 03:04 PM

You guys are too sophisticated for me. I'd be happy with simple slo-mo controls that don't interfere with tracking and a worm block design that makes adjusting backlash trivial (in the dark, even!). Oh, and rotating rings for Newts.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: hottr6]
      #5953395 - 07/03/13 04:17 PM

If the USB device identifies itself as what it is - a scope, a filter wheel, a focuser - then fine. But most don't, they identify themselves as a serial port and that gets you no further forward with getting the right driver installed.

The bottom line is that the complexity can't be reduced and if you don't want the user to have it the developer has it. This means additional developer cost; after all developers have to eat too.

Chris

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: freestar8n]
      #5953640 - 07/03/13 06:55 PM

Gday Frank

Quote:

In terms of the complexity of software and devices with usb - I make devices based on the PIC18F4550 microcontroller, which has a USB stack and voltage source built in.

You fall into the same category as me, in that in certain areas, you can do exactly what you want at the lowest level and make it work. I prefer native rs232 for "scope" control because i work with my Meade scopes, which are rs232, ie, i am not reinventing anything.
I merely tried to point out that relying on someone like you working for each mount vendor, to create new product interfaces etc and then getting all to agree on theprotocol and then maintaining it isnt a trivial exercise.
Ie i dont see fully plugnplay mounts that all have a common interface to the outside world will happen in the near term.
Niche businesses and technologies will come and go, and the best will go to the top for a while. The next few years will be interesting.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

alpal
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/09

Loc: Melbourne Australia.
Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5953839 - 07/03/13 09:15 PM

I would prefer not to use wireless.
It is always open to interference from other devices
& who would want their precious data corrupted?

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5954258 - 07/04/13 02:22 AM

DSC's.

Ravenous
sage

Reged: 11/14/09

Loc: UK
Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: hottr6]
      #5954369 - 07/04/13 06:36 AM

Quote:

You guys are too sophisticated for me. I'd be happy with simple slo-mo controls that don't interfere with tracking and a worm block design that makes adjusting backlash trivial (in the dark, even!). Oh, and rotating rings for Newts.

Exactly! So many people have already added quite exotic-sounding things which possibly break rule 2 in Hilmi's original post.

Surely we just want a simple, reliable, "transparent" in use, user serviceable, well made mount made by somebody who gives good customer service.

On the other hand, maybe I'm talking about a much earlier generation of mounts! Ah well, move along, nothing to see here

gdd
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: Ravenous]
      #5954568 - 07/04/13 10:31 AM

Allow features that mounts already have to actually work by not cutting back on quality and precision excessively, especially if we are only talking a few dollars on key components like the worm and gearing. If the gearing must be cheapened, at least use integral gearing so the PEC feature can work.

Gale

Edited by gdd (07/04/13 10:32 AM)

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5954955 - 07/04/13 03:52 PM

Quote:

Surely we just want a simple, reliable, "transparent" in use, user serviceable, well made mount made by somebody who gives good customer service.

On the other hand, maybe I'm talking about a much earlier generation of mounts! Ah well, move along, nothing to see here

Those type of things are out there and are gaining some popularity lately. My most used is my most simple and reliable mount and it performs flawlessly but is easy to service if ever necessary. However, a lot of people like the high tech stuff and this is where things become a problem.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: EFT]
      #5955103 - 07/04/13 06:25 PM

If I could ever settle on one scope , this is what I would have in a really nice observatory:

MI500 fork mount. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Yea, I know, you're stuck with one scope. That's why I started this with "If I could ever settle on one scope". No flip and it has a 120lb capacity. It comes standard with SiTech Servo II which is an outstanding operating system. It has a homing option and encoder option as well. And they have a feature that I wish my MI250 had; the motors are inside the castings.

But they are heavy and not made to be trundled around to dark sites. So if portability is needed, I'd look elsewhere.

David

Ravenous
sage

Reged: 11/14/09

Loc: UK
Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5955607 - 07/05/13 04:58 AM

Quote:

If I could ever settle on one scope , this is what I would have in a really nice observatory:

Okay, I'll take back what I was saying about fancy modern mounts. That thing is just gorgeous. Maybe when I retire in a few decades...

And it's still grab and go; grab a coffee, go out to the observatory, pull the dustcaps and observe.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Mounts feature wishlist new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5955697 - 07/05/13 08:24 AM

Quote:

Ed Byers offered as an option to his 812 GEM a fork option that simply bolts to the cone. He called it the 812TR.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5955708 - 07/05/13 08:44 AM

[quote
And it's still grab and go; grab a coffee, go out to the observatory, pull the dustcaps and observe.

A term I learned a long time ago for a big mount in place of "grab 'n go" is "grunt n' heave".

David

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: Mounts feature wishlist [Re: hottr6]
      #5955719 - 07/05/13 08:51 AM

A mount wish list? Someone manufacture a fast slewing three axis mount with a computer interface for under $1000 and I will hand you my money in a jiffy.

obin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1200

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics