Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Lasers to replace fireworks?
      #5956288 - 07/05/13 03:56 PM

During the Macy's fireworks show on TV, it was mentioned that some cities are considering replacing fireworks with laser shows for fire/safety reasons. Just think of the LP this would cause. Granted it's only a handfull of nights a year that fireworks are used in celebration, but imagine those nights now with lasers and not fireworks. At a dark site, fireworks become part of a city's light dome, but lasers shine up a lot higher then fireworks.....We are not talking hand held green laser pens here, we're talking searchlight bright huge lasers. Remember the searchlight forum recently about the light show in Philly.....now imagine it countrywide in all major cities with laser lights, visible laser lights that'll show how far?????

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FoggyEyes
sage

Reged: 06/01/13

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Lasers to replace fireworks? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5956486 - 07/05/13 06:06 PM

How would they keep the lasers out of airplane pilot's eyes? Cities and the FAA would almost have to put up a no-fly zone around these shows. I have talked to pilots who said that flying above fireworks is pretty disappointing. Doesn't seem like they would say the same think about lasers.

It's one thing when NY City does it around the former WTC, but every town and baseball stadium in the country?

astroment

Reged: 06/25/13

Re: Lasers to replace fireworks? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5957719 - 07/06/13 03:10 PM

I notice that as well
Parker Colorado had a 4th of july laser show due to the high fire danger they did the same last year so far 2 year's of drought doesn't seem to help
I do remember when we used to get some monsoon rain but seem's that to is changing

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, nitegeezer, PatHolland 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 594

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics