Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
kbastro
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Running from Clouds
what excites you more? mount or scope?
      #5958271 - 07/06/13 11:01 PM

It's a question that I have a hard time with,,,
love my mounts and I am always excited to get new ones (over time), same for the scopes,,
I am not sure what excites me more.. a new scope or a new mount? either way it's still the kid looking in at the candy store.
kb


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: kbastro]
      #5958278 - 07/06/13 11:09 PM

I like scopes on manual tracking alt-az mounts so I would have to say that I am more excited by a new scope than a new mount.

Of course, with a Dob, it's a package.

Jon


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starrancher
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: kbastro]
      #5958309 - 07/06/13 11:44 PM

A scope will get you through times with no mount better than a mount will get you through times with no scope .

Or is that the other way around ?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: kbastro]
      #5958354 - 07/07/13 12:50 AM

most scopes are white and boring. like sid vicious said," boring, boring, boring, scopes are boring"

now the M-uno has some style.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starrancher
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5958389 - 07/07/13 01:41 AM

Interesting . What kind of money do they get for that thing ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oo_void
professor emeritus
*****

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: starrancher]
      #5958468 - 07/07/13 04:34 AM

Too much.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: starrancher]
      #5958569 - 07/07/13 08:14 AM

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=177

GBP 3,998


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hottr6
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5958612 - 07/07/13 09:00 AM

Quote:


now the M-uno has some style.



No doubt about it; Italian industrial design has panache unequaled by anyone.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: kbastro]
      #5958636 - 07/07/13 09:38 AM

Being an aircraft mechanic and total gearhead I appreciate complex mechanical things. A telescope mount with all the precision gears, motors, and machined surfaces is poetry in motion. Watching a high speed slew complete with the sounds of calibrated gears and motors will bring a smile to my face quickly.

Some of the most amazing mounts in my opinion are the monsters that RCOS builds. Check out these videos of them in action during tests:

RC Optical Systems 24" Afocal RC with 10" Acquisition Scope, Coudé Path, and Slip Ring:
http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/gallery/video/bdvideoweb.mov

RCOS 0.81m Ritchey-Chrétien Telescope and Equatorial Fork Mount:
http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/gallery/video/Equatorial%20Mount%20web.mov

A good mount is essential for astrophotography, tracking moving objects accurately, and being able to repeatedly see the same section of sky on any given night. I am way more excited about the craftsmanship and precision of a finely machined mount than I am of a precision telescope sitting in a homely wooden box.

obin


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shawnhar
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: obin robinson]
      #5958897 - 07/07/13 12:53 PM

Quote:

Being an aircraft mechanic and total gearhead I appreciate complex mechanical things. A telescope mount with all the precision gears, motors, and machined surfaces is poetry in motion. Watching a high speed slew complete with the sounds of calibrated gears and motors will bring a smile to my face quickly.

Some of the most amazing mounts in my opinion are the monsters that RCOS builds. Check out these videos of them in action during tests:

RC Optical Systems 24" Afocal RC with 10" Acquisition Scope, Coudé Path, and Slip Ring:
http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/gallery/video/bdvideoweb.mov

RCOS 0.81m Ritchey-Chrétien Telescope and Equatorial Fork Mount:
http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/gallery/video/Equatorial%20Mount%20web.mov

A good mount is essential for astrophotography, tracking moving objects accurately, and being able to repeatedly see the same section of sky on any given night. I am way more excited about the craftsmanship and precision of a finely machined mount than I am of a precision telescope sitting in a homely wooden box.

obin



OK, I want a mount that needs a flashing light on it so you know to get the hell out the way when it's slewing!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5958936 - 07/07/13 01:19 PM

Quote:

OK, I want a mount that needs a flashing light on it so you know to get the hell out the way when it's slewing!




LOL that thing is serious isn't it!?! It slews so fast and smooth you could probably swat a mosquito with it too! Admit that if you could afford to buy and house that monster it would be in your backyard right now. You could do a Messier Marathon in record breaking time.

obin


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fmhill
sage


Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: kbastro]
      #5958986 - 07/07/13 01:47 PM

Quote:

It's a question that I have a hard time with,,,
love my mounts and I am always excited to get new ones (over time), same for the scopes,,
I am not sure what excites me more.. a new scope or a new mount? either way it's still the kid looking in at the candy store.
kb




For me its neither the scope or a mount but how they work together as a well orchestrated symphony that excites me...

A mediocre OTA on a super mount gets you mediocre results!

A super OTA on a mediocre mount gets you mediocre results!

Put an optically top notch telescope on a well engineered, stable, super performing mount and that is what gets me excited...

So far I've managed two such excellent setups out of three, the third is a project in process causing much frustration at this time...


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: fmhill]
      #5959053 - 07/07/13 02:39 PM

Mount

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dennilfloss
sage


Reged: 01/06/13

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5959188 - 07/07/13 04:03 PM

Definitely scope for me.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pstarr
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 09/17/04

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: kbastro]
      #5959269 - 07/07/13 04:59 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

My first scope had a wobbly mount and I hated that mount. When I finally built my own, I went for overkill. So I like both. Nothing like great optics on a steady, driven mount.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kevint1
professor emeritus
*****

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: West Michigan
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: pstarr]
      #5959312 - 07/07/13 05:28 PM

The scope. I can't see much looking through the mount.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF
*****

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: kevint1]
      #5959333 - 07/07/13 05:42 PM

Its all about the glass.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus


Reged: 08/22/10

Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: Scott Beith]
      #5960032 - 07/08/13 05:24 AM

Hi,
I like mounts. I like tinkering and adjusting them to get the best performance. Spot on goto's and really low PE. The only problem is my most recent mount is performing so well out of the box there's nothing to work on. Now if Celestron would just release the StarSense I would have another toy to add to my mount.

Neilson


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pstarr
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 09/17/04

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: kevint1]
      #5960092 - 07/08/13 07:26 AM

Quote:

The scope. I can't see much looking through the mount.




You won't be able to see much trough the scope either if the mount is shaking all around or doesn't have smooth movements. The mount is at least half as important.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikey cee
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: pstarr]
      #5960317 - 07/08/13 10:42 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

I don't know for sure...you tell me. Mike

Edited by mikey cee (07/08/13 10:44 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)


Extra information
13 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 1573

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics