Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: kbastro]
      #5996200 - 07/29/13 09:41 AM

I hate mounts. They shake and get in the way and if they don't they weigh four times as much as the telecopes.

I hate telecopes. They all have some kind of aberrations or compromises and I like perfection. You just can't get it in telescopes. They all have some kind of issue (Even APOs, where the issues is size and weight for the aperture, which has to rate at the bottom of the barrel in the telescope world).

The big problem is that I need both to look deep into the sky.

So for me, neither of these excite me at all. Looking at the sky excites me and these are but tools I use to accomplish my goal.

That being said, I do appreciate well made things, and here, mounts have more "Character."

But I never ever get excited about mounts. Not even a tiny bit. I hate all of them. If I could levitate my telescopes into the right position, not only would I be quite famous, I would also be much happier about observing.

And if I could have a 14" telescope with a 1200mm focal length that was coma free and had a flat field with a 20% obstruction, It could look like a garbage truck and I would just levitate it into position and smile a lot...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: kbastro]
      #5996314 - 07/29/13 10:56 AM

Neither mount nor scope. The objects in the sky excite me the most.

Mike

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5996347 - 07/29/13 11:17 AM

Quote:

I hate mounts. They shake and get in the way and if they don't they weigh four times as much as the telecopes.

I hate telecopes. They all have some kind of aberrations or compromises and I like perfection. You just can't get it in telescopes. They all have some kind of issue (Even APOs, where the issues is size and weight for the aperture, which has to rate at the bottom of the barrel in the telescope world).

The big problem is that I need both to look deep into the sky.

So for me, neither of these excite me at all. Looking at the sky excites me and these are but tools I use to accomplish my goal.

That being said, I do appreciate well made things, and here, mounts have more "Character."

But I never ever get excited about mounts. Not even a tiny bit. I hate all of them. If I could levitate my telescopes into the right position, not only would I be quite famous, I would also be much happier about observing.

And if I could have a 14" telescope with a 1200mm focal length that was coma free and had a flat field with a 20% obstruction, It could look like a garbage truck and I would just levitate it into position and smile a lot...

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: starrancher]
      #6002254 - 08/01/13 10:30 PM

What a silly question

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6003669 - 08/02/13 06:15 PM

Quote:

It could look like a garbage truck

if it was a motorcycle you'd call it a rat bike.

what do you call this...I have a garbage truck scope...had

I should've put a kick-me sign on it.

Edited by Pinbout (08/02/13 06:16 PM)

gunfighter48
sage

Reged: 03/18/13

Loc: Mill Creek, Washington
Re: what excites you more? mount or scope? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6005337 - 08/03/13 08:30 PM

For me it's the scope that gets my attention. Without good optics the mount good or bad doesn't do you much good. I bought a C102GT f9.8 and I bought a iOptron Cube Pro and thought it would handle the scope ok. It handled the weight ok but the tube is too long for the tripod. Too much wiggle!!!

So I just bought an Orion Skyview Pro Goto and it's fantastic and will handle the 102 just fine. So the mount does play an important part. But I wouldn't have bought the mount if the scope didn't warrant it! The C102GT is a great scope for the money.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1538

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics