Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Why bother?.. *DELETED*
      #5958711 - 07/07/13 10:50 AM

Post deleted by amicus sidera

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: Had just about enough... new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5958736 - 07/07/13 11:07 AM

Cheaper and more to the point might be a few mirrors on simple wooden alt-az mounts to reflect their light back to their homes.

Also, local light pollution/trespass laws?

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #5958766 - 07/07/13 11:25 AM

That "crime rate" statistic involving bright lights at night is total B.S. If bright lights impeded crime then there would be no such thing as a bank robbery in broad daylight. If I were you I would take a note from what my wife did years ago in a different situation. We had downstairs neighbors that let their kid cry all night long. This crying was so loud we could hear it through the walls. After hearing the kid cry for 5 straight hours she got up, went downstairs, and pounded on their door. They woke up and my wife said "hey we can hear your kid crying and we can't sleep. If your kid is keeping us from sleeping then our pounding on your door at 2am is going to keep you from sleeping too."

Never had a problem after that. Try knocking on your neighbor's door at midnight. Tell them their light is so bright you can't sleep even with your blinds closed. Chances are if you're up late at night watching the stars then they aren't. After a few nights they will get the hint. I did that with our neighbors behind us once. They stopped turning their "prison light" on. If you don't want to pound on their door at midnight then look up your local lighting ordinances and call the police late at night. Tell them the light is in violation of code XYZ and show the cop the law. I've done similar things before when we filed online complaints against neighbors for various code infringements. After a visit from the local police they changed their behavior.

obin

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5958768 - 07/07/13 11:26 AM

So, you're concerned about LP, and yet you are considering adding to it, simply to annoy your neighbors because you are not their primary concern in their lives?

You say that the neighbors are well aware that you observe often; however, are they completely aware of their lights diminishing your usage of the scope? Unless this is discussed upfront, many do not realize what affect lights have on our viewing. When you've shared your scope with them, did you openly discuss LP?

This appears to be very childish, to say the least and may excalate against you. Just because we have a hobby that requires as little light as possible, does not mean that everyone around us has to abide by our wants. Retaliation rarely brings the desired affect one wants. If there is a LP ordinance in your area, go that route, rather than adding more LP. Or find a dark site for observing to relieve the hostility that you feel towards your neighbors.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: Why bother?. *DELETED* new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5958779 - 07/07/13 11:34 AM

Post deleted by amicus sidera

Edited by amicus sidera (07/07/13 12:37 PM)

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

#5958789 - 07/07/13 11:41 AM

Have you thought about going to a town meeting to talk about introducing light pollution legislation? Make it easy and just copy another town's legislation.

Read this:
http://darkskywisconsin.uwex.edu/resources/ordinances/Ordinance%20Madison%20p...

obin

richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
      #5958799 - 07/07/13 11:49 AM

If you don't want your neighbors doing that to you then don't do it to them. Even in retaliation.
Seeing that they already know you are a star gazer have you ever thought about hosting a neighborhood meeting/bbq with the intent of discussing L.P.?
What I'm trying to say here is that retaliation doesn't solve a thing. It will only send your blood pressure up.
It sounds like you've built up a fine name in your neighborhood, don't ruin it, use it.

Edited by richard7 (07/07/13 11:54 AM)

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Had just about enough... new [Re: richard7]
      #5958805 - 07/07/13 11:53 AM

Quote:

If you don't want your neighbors doing that to you then don't do it to them. Even in retaliation.
Seeing that they already know you are a star gazer have you ever thought about hosting a neighborhood meeting/bbq with the intent of discussing L.P.?

Agreed. People who just don't "get it" won't understand what you are doing. They will think you're just joining the light prison club and love throwing money at your electric company. Chances are what you are doing will not work. You'll get frustrated and they'll stay being dumb. As I get older I realize that saying "some people are just stupid" isn't politically incorrect: it's the truth.

obin

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: Had just about enough... new [Re: obin robinson]
      #5958830 - 07/07/13 12:10 PM

Why bother?

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5958915 - 07/07/13 01:03 PM

I live across the street from a funeral parlor, He has a light that I refer to an Airplanes Landing Lights!
He keeps it on all night every Night, it is a Sign,
It is 6'X 7' and about a thousand watts. I asked him why he has it on all night long? He stated " The previous owner did
so I am too for advertising" We live in a small Iowa town of Approx 400 most over 60, i dont think ha needs advertising. He said he just leaves it on 24/7 because he isn't about to come out and shut it off for me.
I bought a tarp and cover it! I got the OK from him first. Asking nicely got him to let me with no problem.
Going about a resolution any other way is just going to Kindle Hattfiels vs MCcoy #2...
It is a pain but my past neighbors have all shut their lights off for me while observing if I called them.
They are basically insecure and having someone out in the yard at Night is much more effective than any light to detour the bad guys .. Using that approach works very well!

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: Had just about enough... new [Re: orion61]
      #5959119 - 07/07/13 03:08 PM

"They are basically insecure and having someone out in the yard at Night is much more effective than any light to detour the bad guys .. Using that approach works very well!"

Excellent way to go about it.

What drives me nuts is a radio commercial that is asking people to protect their homes by locking doors, trim shrubs etc. Then the last thing the ad recommends is installing bright outdoor lighting to deter burgulars!

richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Had just about enough... new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5959481 - 07/07/13 07:34 PM

See as the original post has been deleted by the O.P. I see no need in this continuing.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 681

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics