Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Nebraska Star Party - who's going? new
      #5958323 - 07/07/13 12:01 AM

The Nebraska Star Party starts in 4 weeks. Who else is going besides me?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Nebraska Star Party - who's going? new [Re: City Kid]
      #5958363 - 07/07/13 01:06 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

I am (well, I had better, as I am one of the teachers for the Beginner's Field School). At least this year, the range land fire danger should be far less than last year, so it should be a fun time. Here is what my setup looked like last year at the entrance to Dob Row. Clear skies to you.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Nebraska Star Party - who's going? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5958368 - 07/07/13 01:12 AM

I think I can see my roof top carrier just above your finder scope.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
      #5958400 - 07/07/13 01:56 AM

My stargazing buddy and I are going- Sunday through Wednesday. This will be our first real star party. Bringing tricked out Z12 & Vixen 25x100 binos (and quite a bit of stuff to get rid of @ the swap meet). I hope to meet lots of the great folks I've chatted with here on CN.

Question: Do folks introduce themselves claiming their online identifiers at these things?

David Knisely
Postmaster

Re: Nebraska Star Party - who's going? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5959007 - 07/07/13 02:06 PM

Quote:

My stargazing buddy and I are going- Sunday through Wednesday. This will be our first real star party. Bringing tricked out Z12 & Vixen 25x100 binos (and quite a bit of stuff to get rid of @ the swap meet). I hope to meet lots of the great folks I've chatted with here on CN.

Question: Do folks introduce themselves claiming their online identifiers at these things?

Most people just use their names (and name-tags are provided). A few people up there do have to tell me their online CN names however. Clear skies to you.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

#5959024 - 07/07/13 02:20 PM

Quote:

My stargazing buddy and I are going- Sunday through Wednesday. This will be our first real star party.

You are in for a treat. The skies are awesome. I'm planning on being there from the 3rd to the 10th.

krp
Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

Reged: 11/10/10

Loc: Central Illinois
      #5959641 - 07/07/13 09:30 PM

I'm considering stopping by for a night. I'll be on my way to Montana to attend a photography school. I was already planning to stay a couple nights at Badlands NP. But I found out the star party is going on at the same time and it's only 3 hours away.
Kevin

Lamb0
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/07

Loc: South Eastern(ish) Nebraska
Re: Nebraska Star Party - who's going? [Re: krp]
      #5959914 - 07/08/13 12:59 AM

Yup, I'll be there.

There's bound to be a few more from the "local" clubs as well.

I'm looking forward to meeting friends old, new, and hopefully a few who haven't been in attendance for awhile!

Tom Laskowski

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA
Re: Nebraska Star Party - who's going? new [Re: Lamb0]
      #5960806 - 07/08/13 04:07 PM

Phil, enjoy yourselves. I won't be able to make it since I exhausted most of my vacation time during May and June. Don't have enough to take another week off. I have not been out observing since TSP and am hoping to get out this weekend if the weather ever cooperates.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Nebraska Star Party - who's going? new [Re: Tom Laskowski]
      #5961256 - 07/08/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

I won't be able to make it since I exhausted most of my vacation time during May and June. Don't have enough to take another week off.

Maybe you could sell upper management on the idea that it would be great for the company if they sent you to Nebraska for a week. Then you wouldn't have to use vacation and you would be getting paid! And if that works I'm going to need you to get me a job there.

Diana N

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Nebraska
      #5962018 - 07/09/13 11:23 AM

I'm planning to be there! (I've tried to go twice in the past, only to have last-minute problems pop up and derail the trip, but third time's the charm, right?)

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Nebraska Star Party - who's going? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5962077 - 07/09/13 12:13 PM

I realize that the number is a moving target with people coming and going the whole time, but with perfect weather, what would the NSP's peak attendance tend to be?

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

#5962400 - 07/09/13 03:41 PM

Quote:

I realize that the number is a moving target with people coming and going the whole time, but with perfect weather, what would the NSP's peak attendance tend to be?

I'm curious about this as well. It's difficult to judge how many people are there because not everyone observes from the observing field. Some people observe from the campgrounds. And the whole area is so big and spread out it's hard to say. Judging from this thread there will be at least five of us!

Edited by City Kid (07/09/13 03:43 PM)

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Nebraska Star Party - who's going? new [Re: Diana N]
      #5962412 - 07/09/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

I'm planning to be there! (I've tried to go twice in the past, only to have last-minute problems pop up and derail the trip, but third time's the charm, right?)

I feel your pain. Two years ago I had the car packed and was 10 minutes from leaving when a tragedy prevented me from making the trip. But I was able to make it last year and three years ago. Hopefully the third time will indeed be the charm for you.

David Knisely
Postmaster

#5962613 - 07/09/13 05:16 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Quote:

It has varied a lot from year to year. The first year when it didn't get a lot of advertisement, we had about 60 people, while at NSP-2, we had just under 200 show up, followed by NSP-3 at 250 attending. NSP-4 had 330 people attend, followed by our peak attendance of a little over 400 at NSP-5 (the one with the worst weather interestingly enough). Following that year (and the experience of the bad weather), the number attending declined to 330 at NSP-6, but went up to nearly 400 at NSP-7. It stayed in the 250 to 350 range for several years until the gas prices went up enough that the attendance has now dropped to between 150 and 250 typically. Last year, we were in the midst of a severe drouth that helped trigger extensive wildfires in the area, so we only had 175 people show up. In any case, we aren't all that concerned about the number of people that show up, as we are more interested in observing than anything else. Besides, a smaller attendance means more room for the rest of us up on Dow row . This year, our keynote speaker is former Astronaut Clayton Anderson, so that might bring out just a little more interest, at least locally. Clear skies to you.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

#5964019 - 07/10/13 12:56 PM

CityKid, you'll have to wear your yellow t-shirt so that I can identify you. I'll be the one with the big, goofy grin on my face...

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

#5964282 - 07/10/13 03:40 PM

I'll be the one that after four years, finally talked my wife into going and now walking around mumbling "what was I thinking?". (Just kidding Sweetie!)

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
      #5966544 - 07/11/13 11:23 PM

I've been contracting without paid vacation for the past 6 months, just finally got a permanent position with paid vacation time, but still accruing, so, if I make it up there at all, it'll most likely only be for a long weekend. I'll watch the weather to figure out which one to come up for. If I don't make it up there, I'll fall back on the South Dakota Star Party weekend.

Diana N

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Nebraska
Re: Nebraska Star Party - who's going? new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5966651 - 07/12/13 12:28 AM

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it out for the entire NSP week, Jeff. This whole "working for a living" business sure plays havoc with observing! I hope the weather cooperates and you'll be able to enjoy at least some of the star party.

(I'd like to squeeze in the Iowa Star Party as well as NSP, but alas I'm on call on that Friday and Saturday, and I doubt I'll be able to arrange a call trade since it's a holiday weekend. Frustrating, but that's how it goes!)

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Nebraska Star Party - who's going? new [Re: Diana N]
      #5968461 - 07/13/13 02:16 AM

So for those of you going, what are you planning on observing? My primary targets will be dark nebula and planetary nebula. Beyond that I'll spend some time with showpiece objects and a lot of time just laying back and taking it all in with my naked eyes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2517

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics